What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals 2024

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
legit though, Hynes seems to struggle in big games and he isn't delivering on what they are paying him
He's not, but that's on the Sharks. They were the ones that decided they'd pay big money for a guy to play halfback who hadn't played that position much at all in his career (actually never as a starting player, now I check) and came out of the Melbourne system where you're never really sure whether it's the player or the environment.

Hynes is two games back from a nigh-on two month layoff with a rupture and fracture of his ankle. Tallis is a joke, if Hynes was at Brisbane he'd have the cone of silence around him.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm torn as to who I want to win, as I've made very clear in the past I just hope it isn't Melbourne. Winds me up listening to Willie Mason yesterday, too, saying Cronk won 6 premierships.

I like the idea of the Clearys winning 4 straight, especially Nathan who is an absolute freak of a person. But then, I don't like their style so much. Roosters, they can't win - they're hot air right now. Manly, I like them but last week showed they don't have the chops, either. NQ are a cool side and I wouldn't have any problem them going deep. Sharks, no issue with them, either.

Melbourne Penrith final does set up the best (and seems inevitable) and Penrith no doubt feel they have to beat Melbourne in a GF to truly say they are the best of the modern era.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
With Hynes, I can't shake the feeling that maybe he's just not that good? This is a bloke who was effectively a reserve grader until he was 24, played one full season as a fill-in utility for the Storm and then got signed as a marquee player for the Sharks and won the Dally M. I dunno, when I visualise Hynes playing I'm just not really sure what his stand-out attributes are that make him an elite player? He's a nice mixture of a decent fullback's running game (albeit without elite speed) and a bit of ball playing skill without really having a great long kicking game or being a genuine game manager. It all feels a bit Emperor's New Clothes to me.

Melbourne Penrith final does set up the best (and seems inevitable) and Penrith no doubt feel they have to beat Melbourne in a GF to truly say they are the best of the modern era.
You reckon? I'd be surprised if Penrith feel that way... maybe an element of wanting some payback sure, but if I was Cleary I wouldn't feel like beating Melb in a GF is needed to cement the team's legacy.

4 consec GFs and 3 prems so far is pretty compelling. I know they lost to them in the '20 GF, but they also beat them in the prelim finals both last year and in '21.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
You reckon? I'd be surprised if Penrith feel that way... maybe an element of wanting some payback sure, but if I was Cleary I wouldn't feel like beating Melb in a GF is needed to cement the team's legacy.

4 consec GFs and 3 prems so far is pretty compelling. I know they lost to them in the '20 GF, but they also beat them in the prelim finals both last year and in '21.
Yeah I don't have a direct line to Penrith but I think I know how they operate, having watched their documentary, seeing how Ivan works etc...I think if it's Melbourne, it gives it an extra edge over just being for 4 in a row. Yep absolutely they beat them en route in those years, but Melbourne dicked them for the minor premiership and if the Storm beat them in the GF this year, the media rhetoric (and maybe from inside Melbourne) would be all good, three in a row, but you couldn't beat Melbourne in the big dance given two gos at it.

Yeah I don't have a direct line to Penrith but I think I know how they operate, having watched their documentary, seeing how Ivan works etc...I think if it's Melbourne, it gives it an extra edge over just being for 4 in a row. Yep absolutely they beat them en route in those years, but Melbourne dicked them for the minor premiership and if the Storm beat them in the GF this year, the media rhetoric (and maybe from inside Melbourne) would be all good, three in a row, but you couldn't beat Melbourne in the big dance given two gos at it.
Yea fair enough. I can see how someone in the media would push that narrative, even if just for airtime.

I'd be happy to see the other finals clubs do well, but the purist in me really wants a Penrith v Melb GF. With Cleary now back and firing, the gap between them and the others really is daylight and one of them deserves the prem.

Latest posts