What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL issue concussion breach notices - huge fines

Do people remember the "head bin"? It was brought into the NSWRL First Grade competition for 1987 . If a player copped a knock to the head, they could be taken off the field for 10 minutes and it would not against their replacements. Whilst good in theory, what happened? Players and coaches started exploiting it, claiming they'd taken a head knock when nothing was wrong with them. Bozo had it down to an art with Manly with Paul Shaw often coming on as a super sub for a purported head knock. It got that bad, they eventually got rid of it and brought in the interchange.

If you had an injury reserve, what odds a coach would look to exploit it by having a player with say a leg injury claiming a head knock and getting themselves replaced under this injury provision? With the way things currently are, it would be rather easy to abuse such a reserve if brought in.

adamkungl

Immortal
Do people remember the "head bin"? It was brought into the NSWRL First Grade competition for 1987 . If a player copped a knock to the head, they could be taken off the field for 10 minutes and it would not against their replacements. Whilst good in theory, what happened? Players and coaches started exploiting it, claiming they'd taken a head knock when nothing was wrong with them. Bozo had it down to an art with Manly with Paul Shaw often coming on as a super sub for a purported head knock. It got that bad, they eventually got rid of it and brought in the interchange.

If you had an injury reserve, what odds a coach would look to exploit it by having a player with say a leg injury claiming a head knock and getting themselves replaced under this injury provision? With the way things currently are, it would be rather easy to abuse such a reserve if brought in.

Which is why we should avoid complicated systems with potential loopholes and just extend the interchange to 18, if it is felt this is necessary.

adamkungl

Immortal
But is that with or without a free interchange?

As is now - so free intercharge for HIA's.

It's not perfect but the risks and consequences of coaches refusing to take someone off who needs it are higher than that of a coach gaming the system.

Without a free interchange we could see a situation where late in a game a player receives a head knock.
The coach has no interchanges left.
Does he play with 12 on the field or does he keep his concussed player on?

Knight76

Juniors

This is already happening!

jonno_knights

Juniors
So will the Roosters be sighted for failing to take Gordon off for a HIA tonight?

Seemed to hit his head on the turf pretty hard on the tackle on Uate and needed to be assessed on the ground by the trainer.

TheVelourFog

First Grade

It's not perfect but the risks and consequences of coaches refusing to take someone off who needs it are higher than that of a coach gaming the system.

Without a free interchange we could see a situation where late in a game a player receives a head knock.

plus if everybody does it no-one gets an advantage, theoretically

jonno_knights

Juniors
Another thing i noticed on the weekend, is that with the free HIA interchange (Red Card), if the player passes the test, he comes back on with a free interchange (Green HIA Card).

Only problem with that is that he doesn't take the same player off... so effectively with the interchanges you could have a Front Rower bump his head in the 20th minute, get replaced by a bench prop, then the front rower passes his HIA by the 30-35th minute, and can replace the other starting prop..

So effectively you get to rotate your props with no interchanges...

Is that right? If it is, that rule should be changed immediately, and you can use the same same players in each interchange (if that player is injured and no longer on the field, then it passes on to whoever replaced him).

Knight76

Juniors
What happened to these fines? I never heard anything more about them.

Did the Knights and Dragons have their case heard etc?

I would hate to think the whole thing was a public relations stunt and the fines have been conveniently forgotten!

AJB1102

First Grade
Another thing i noticed on the weekend, is that with the free HIA interchange (Red Card), if the player passes the test, he comes back on with a free interchange (Green HIA Card).

Only problem with that is that he doesn't take the same player off... so effectively with the interchanges you could have a Front Rower bump his head in the 20th minute, get replaced by a bench prop, then the front rower passes his HIA by the 30-35th minute, and can replace the other starting prop..

So effectively you get to rotate your props with no interchanges...

Is that right? If it is, that rule should be changed immediately, and you can use the same same players in each interchange (if that player is injured and no longer on the field, then it passes on to whoever replaced him).

That is pretty much how it goes, mate. Its being rorted delux. If a half or fullback cops a whack he plays on, if a forward cops a kick in the shin he's off for an HIA and its a free interchange as long as he passes the test and is back on within 15mins.

Perfect to use a bloke like Kasiano or T-Rex or Dave Taylor - they're great for a 15min spurt. If your 65min starter gets a bump you're laughing.

What happened to these fines? I never heard anything more about them.

Did the Knights and Dragons have their case heard etc?

I would hate to think the whole thing was a public relations stunt and the fines have been conveniently forgotten!

Mate Knights & Titans are owned by the mob that issued the fine. So out of one pocket and into another.

The Dragons are in deep to the NRL to the tune of something like $4-6M so basically just whack it on the tab.

Iafeta

Referee
How will we make people think the Knights have been fined? Ahhh, we will make them play in coal miners outfits.

Knight76

Juniors
Mate Knights & Titans are owned by the mob that issued the fine. So out of one pocket and into another.

The Dragons are in deep to the NRL to the tune of something like $4-6M so basically just whack it on the tab.

All the more reason to be banging on in the press about it and how they have come down hard on this issue. Then quietly forget about the fines later.

Seems strange they have gone quiet.

cleary89

Coach
I went to an all day concussion course the other day. Definately opened my eyes on how significant it can be. No doubt some teams are rorting the process, but there probably needs to be more allowances for it. Yes it opens it up to coaches exploiting it but its better than a death (or being sued like Mcmanus is doing and no doubt many more will).

RWB

Bench
So will the Roosters be sighted for failing to take Gordon off for a HIA tonight?

Seemed to hit his head on the turf pretty hard on the tackle on Uate and needed to be assessed on the ground by the trainer.

Did he hit his head on the ground?

I know he had a jaw complaint from his tackle on Uate but looked concious after impact, just in pain.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Did he hit his head on the ground?

I know he had a jaw complaint from his tackle on Uate but looked concious after impact, just in pain.

Yeh it was exactly that, I don't think he was too concussed either. But I thought that was the whole point of the HIA, was to more-so rule it out if people get hit in the head with decent force.

He did have a bit of whiplash hitting his head, was "slow to rise" and had to be assessed by the trainer while sitting up off the ground, even if he only looked at his jaw movements. Im sure that ticks a box on the protocol to come off the field for a doctors examination. Sione Matautia and Wade Graham both came off after getting hit in the head with a Football!

St George got fined with Dugan, who they said had a jaw complaint. I know his looked more of a concussion then Gordons, but Dugan is also as soft as a wet tissue, and generally goes down after the slightest knock.

I read somewhere on another forum that the warriors got issued with a warning after this weekend, but no fine? something around Fisitua. I didnt see the game, but that is interesting if true, and just goes to show that NRLs fines 3 weeks ago were just a token response to media pressure.

Dogs Of War

Coach

I think the only way if you have an 18/19th man, is that the concussed player leaving the field if replaced by one of these options must sit out the next week. Probably to that players benefit, but also means that rorting the system has many consequences.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It'd be interesting to know the stats on how many players are taken off for a HIA test and how many return to the field? and if there is a difference in backs and forwards in these stats. Bit hard to say how big a rorting problem it is without that.

Latest posts