What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News NRL leaked video scandals: Napa, May, Lane

Sorry if this addressed elsewhere, but Daley is a grade A f**king idiot with his Penrith commentary.

He has conflated his whinge with Gould, with an entire fanbase, playing group and community.

This is everything wrong with our game, personal vendettas mean more to these guys then good of the game.

Unfortunately Daley’s issues with Penrith doesn’t just stem from his problems with Gus. His issues run deep, as far back as the ‘91 Grand Final. He just wasn’t content with their win against us in 1990 (though history now says that their ‘90 win was tainted by being over the salary cap)

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rollcall-of-shame-20100422-tfyj.html

typicalfan

Coach
Sorry if this addressed elsewhere, but Daley is a grade A f**king idiot with his Penrith commentary.

He has conflated his whinge with Gould, with an entire fanbase, playing group and community.

This is everything wrong with our game, personal vendettas mean more to these guys then good of the game.
Agree. I also think it is a bit of a cop out when people say its the NRL culture. I think that saying this deflects some blame from the people responsible and apportions some blame to the entire NRL community. I think that is unfair, why should the players that do the right thing get blamed by the actions of a very small percentage.

I hope Daley was using Penrith as an example rather than pointing the finger. I must say when hearing him say it, it sounded not as bad as how it has been portrayed since then. Then again Daley copped a lot of unfair criticism regarding the Blues regarding culture so maybe it was a little vindictive.

franklin2323

Immortal
Agree. I also think it is a bit of a cop out when people say its the NRL culture. I think that saying this deflects some blame from the people responsible and apportions some blame to the entire NRL community. I think that is unfair, why should the players that do the right thing get blamed by the actions of a very small percentage.

I hope Daley was using Penrith as an example rather than pointing the finger. I must say when hearing him say it, it sounded not as bad as how it has been portrayed since then. Then again Daley copped a lot of unfair criticism regarding the Blues regarding culture so maybe it was a little vindictive.

A player signs with an NRL team in their late teens... It isn't like they become a grub then. Getting them and others before that stage is always best but hey blaming NRL is the in thing now

Valheru

Coach
On these riff tapes, the way they treated the woman is far from what I consider acceptible as well.

Meh, we can't be the moral police and a lot of people (both male and female) are in to that sort of thing.

The complaints by the women relate to recording and dissemination, they have stated the sex was consensual.

TheFrog

Coach
On these riff tapes, the way they treated the woman is far from what I consider acceptible as well.
You have to have watched them to make that call. Did you by any chance consider how the women felt about you watching them have sex?

Dogs Of War

Coach
A player signs with an NRL team in their late teens... It isn't like they become a grub then. Getting them and others before that stage is always best but hey blaming NRL is the in thing now

But it is a cultural thing. Something that the club itself, because of the playing group has let fester. If the players are happy distributing videos like this amongst themselves, then the club needs to tap it on the head, it's unlikely that the club isn't aware, and they can't say boys will be boys. They only have themselves to blame when it gets out. It's not like the NRL doesn't put education sessions on.

Clubs need to have policies that state that any videos like this are firstly not to be created. And if they become aware of these occurring, there contracts is immediately void. It will get players being more responsible with there actions, and those that may be filming them. And maybe even stop them distributing them. Especially if a whole lot of players contracts start getting torn up.

franklin2323

Immortal
But it is a cultural thing. Something that the club itself, because of the playing group has let fester. If the players are happy distributing videos like this amongst themselves, then the club needs to tap it on the head, it's unlikely that the club isn't aware, and they can't say boys will be boys. They only have themselves to blame when it gets out. It's not like the NRL doesn't put education sessions on.

Clubs need to have policies that state that any videos like this are firstly not to be created. And if they become aware of these occurring, there contracts is immediately void. It will get players being more responsible with there actions, and those that may be filming them. And maybe even stop them distributing them. Especially if a whole lot of players contracts start getting torn up.

Corey Norman had a tape released, Napa, Now May's... That is 3 different clubs there alone.

A simple google search brings up many articles all over the word of sexting and such things. So it is a society issue doesn't mean NRL can't lead the way in awareness etc but it isn't just a NRL issue

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Unfortunately Daley’s issues with Penrith doesn’t just stem from his problems with Gus. His issues run deep, as far back as the ‘91 Grand Final. He just wasn’t content with their win against us in 1990 (though history now says that their ‘90 win was tainted by being over the salary cap)

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rollcall-of-shame-20100422-tfyj.html
Yep. Laurie Daley has held a grudge against the Panthers for almost 3 decades because they beat his team in the grand final and had been waiting 28 years for this opportunity to enact revenge in the form of comments on a radio show.

Sounds reasonable.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Corey Norman had a tape released, Napa, Now May's... That is 3 different clubs there alone.

A simple google search brings up many articles all over the word of sexting and such things. So it is a society issue doesn't mean NRL can't lead the way in awareness etc but it isn't just a NRL issue

It's not even about awareness. Just a zero tolerance policy. Something guys earning/looking to earn these amounts of money need to consider. Some will get it. Others won't. But the situation will change quickly when a lot more contracts start getting ripped out. But they firstly need to be in there contracts.

T-Boon

Coach
It's not even about awareness. Just a zero tolerance policy. Something guys earning/looking to earn these amounts of money need to consider. Some will get it. Others won't. But the situation will change quickly when a lot more contracts start getting ripped out. But they firstly need to be in there contracts.

I agree, and I would extend it to even if it is the woman that makes the film.

franklin2323

Immortal

If grubs like Lodge are in the game. There is no chance in cases like this contracts will get ripped up

Dogs Of War

Coach
If grubs like Lodge are in the game. There is no chance in cases like this contracts will get ripped up

Im not saying there are no second chances. You serve your time, and a club is willing to take on the risk. Great. But for most, there will be no second chances.

Valheru

Coach

Zero tolerance to what?

If it is simply recording yourself having sex, that is not illegal if all parties consent.

It is entirely possible IMO that the harsh stance against Napa has led and will lead to more of these tapes being released.

T-Boon

Coach
Zero tolerance to what?

If it is simply recording yourself having sex, that is not illegal if all parties consent.

It does not have to be illegal for the game to have a reason to stamp it out. It is ruining the image of the game.