What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL live app is here

Sleep

Juniors
People love to bring up these NBA and NFL "leauge passes" when they talk about the TV and online deals I've noticed lately. But what they don't seem to realise is that these league passes are for international subscribers only.

In the US both the NBA and NFL have television deals with various networks just like the NRL does here. and the reason they do is because tv = maximum exposure = more dollars.

To think that the NRL should offer games online only or for much cheaper than they do by comparing it to these NBA and NFL online passes is simply unrealistic. If the NRL were to start offering a league pass at a cheap price to people then guess what? their "billion dollar" deal with channel 9 is worth maybe a quarter of that. On top of that, there is simply not the infrastructure nor the bandwidth nor the money in Australia to make it worth the NRLs efforts at least in the short term.

Ermmm... The NFL and NBA both offer the Red Zone and League Passes domestically. It's just money to be made on top of the deals they've signed with Nine/Fox.

Paying anything to watch eight pixels on a screen and trying to guess what they are is a flat out rip off. The app is a piece of shit. If it was offered to me for free I wouldn't bother because there are other streams that are better quality.

BDR

First Grade
Heard about the AFL wire crossing. That's a disgrace, honestly if I had paid for a subscription I would be spitting chips.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I barely got to see any of the second half of the Roosters/NQL game, would just constantly stop working and I'd have to restart the app to get the stream running again. Feels like I'm wasting my money but it's the only way I can watch games live without signing up for Foxtel or watching crappy feeds online. Not to mention watching on a 10.1" tablet and having it only use about 1/3 the space it should be.

maple_69

Bench
Anyone figure out a way around displaying the app on a tv?
I've got a micro usb to HDMI adapter which works perfectly with my HTC One but as soon as I try and stream a match it says nooope. Obviously they've written this into the app to stop this but if anyone knows a way around it that would be awesome.

I haven't had any issues with the app. Tried streaming on 4G which I wouldn't do regularly as it would punish my usage, but it was fantastic quality.

Anyone figure out a way around displaying the app on a tv?
I've got a micro usb to HDMI adapter which works perfectly with my HTC One but as soon as I try and stream a match it says nooope. Obviously they've written this into the app to stop this but if anyone knows a way around it that would be awesome.

I haven't had any issues with the app. Tried streaming on 4G which I wouldn't do regularly as it would punish my usage, but it was fantastic quality.

iPad to Apple TV does this for me.

DMS

Juniors
NRL App is a waste of money in my opinion the quality is hardly any better than an illegal NRL stream.....

Raider Azz

Bench
Ermmm... The NFL and NBA both offer the Red Zone and League Passes domestically. It's just money to be made on top of the deals they've signed with Nine/Fox.

Paying anything to watch eight pixels on a screen and trying to guess what they are is a flat out rip off. The app is a piece of shit. If it was offered to me for free I wouldn't bother because there are other streams that are better quality.

Red Zone is an online NFL service that provides highlights of the games. It doesn't provide every minute of every game, every week.

The league passes the NFL and NBA offers domestically are considerably more expensive and limited than what's offered to international subscribers.

Last edited:

BLKOUT!

Juniors
The NBA's league pass is not considerably more expensive than the international version. It is more restricted due to blackouts, though. It may have changed in the last year but at one point it was more expensive to get league pass broadband internationally than it was to subscribe to league pass with a cable provider. That was the consensus on RealGM at the time anyway.

Sleep

Juniors
The NBA's league pass is not considerably more expensive than the international version. It is more restricted due to blackouts, though. It may have changed in the last year but at one point it was more expensive to get league pass broadband internationally than it was to subscribe to league pass with a cable provider. That was the consensus on RealGM at the time anyway.

League Pass cost me about $120 for the full season this year. HD streaming, included the all-star weekend and finals. Crazy cheap considering it's an 82 game season and then playoffs are best of seven.

The interface is much better and the quality isn't even comparable. The NRL really need to do something about their app. If they could get it right, I'd be all over it but as of right now they're stealing money from fans.

Matta

Juniors
Is it just me or has the video quality vastly improved with the new update? It's somewhat watchable now!

Kiwi

First Grade
anyone used this to watch any games, is it unmetered> The app shows up as unmetered, was wondering if anyone know if the feeds are unmetered as well? $85 for the season seems pretty good if it's unmetered considering the number of games they are offering including under20's ect

maple_69

Bench
Someone said there's 20s games on the app? I sure as hell have looked (thought they might show to foxtel televised games) and found sweet f*ck all on the 20s.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Someone said there's 20s games on the app? I sure as hell have looked (thought they might show to foxtel televised games) and found sweet f*ck all on the 20s.

On the top of the page it says telstra premiership. Click that and a drop down box opens and you can select Holden cup.