What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Mafia

Misanthrope

Staff member
It feels like a long ass off-season, so I thought I'd run a wee game to pass the time.

I've run a few Mafia games online in the past - including an A-League one over at 442's Oz site, so thought I'd try my hand at one here.

-----

What is Mafia?

Mafia is traditionally a party game, but it can be easily adapted to run in an online environment. In many ways, it actually works better with the additional anonymity that an online environment provides.

To borrow from the very cool Mafia Scum website:
In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.

At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases, the first of which is Day. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it becomes Night.

During the Night, the Mafia, can speak to each other privately to plot strategy and decide who to murder before the next Day begins. In this way, they can silence members of the Town who are threats to them. At the end of the Night, the murder is carried out and another Day begins. In effect, the Town gets to kill someone, and then the Mafia gets to kill someone.

The game alternates between Day and Night until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else (or nothing can prevent the same).

To see this another way, you may find this Flash introduction to Mafia by mikeburnfire helpful.
Can I Play?

There is no minimum or maximum for a game of Mafia, although more players makes for a better and more challenging game. All you have to do is say you're keen and I'll do the rest.

Once I have an idea of interested players, I'll create and PM out a role to each player. These will be based on NRL players, officials, or popular 'themes within the NRL. Each player will have some role to play, so nobody is just in to make up numbers.

Interested? Register below.

Players
1. Didgi
2. Cliffhanger
3. BDR
4. Scott Gourley's Lovechild
5. BunniesMan
6. Hallatia
7. Jason Maher
8. whall15
9. WOTBEH
10. adamkungl
11. dogslife
12. butchmcdick
13. Parra
14. DWally
15. Earl
16. thorson1987
17. 9701
18. Rebel
19. Gas Panic!
20. sensesmaybenumbed
21. socc123_au
22. joshie
23. DB
etc
etc

Last edited:

BDR

First Grade
I have no idea what this is but god help me I'm just bored enough to do it.

Sign me up cap'n

Misanthrope

Staff member
Though I hope it goes longer than Fantasy Wrestling...

Fantasy wrestling died because I was apparently the only one interested in it :lol: Was like a tomb in the thread aside from my sporadic posts.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'll be right. The point of the game isn't to "kill" who you don't like.

He speaks the truth. In a game I ran previously, I made the most important towns-person the least liked player just to teach them a lesson.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It'll be an NRL themed game, Jason.

Urban, games don't need to consume a lot of your time. Unblocking BM will only be necessary if you're both mafia. It can't hurt to have him unblocked temporarily, in case he has useful information, but I won't say it's crucial.

Last edited: