What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Must Expand - Smith

elbusto

Coach
KANGAROOS captain Cameron Smith has called on rugby league's new boss Dave Smith to tackle AFL head-on by putting expansion back on the NRL agenda.
In the countdown to next Saturday's All Stars clash in Brisbane, the highly respected Australian and Storm skipper yesterday spoke exclusively to The Daily Telegraph about where the game is positioned and, more importantly, where it should be heading.
In a wide ranging interview Smith said if the NRL was serious about being the biggest and best code in the country it must become a truly national game.
CLICK HERE TO START PICKING YOUR SUPERCOACH SQUAD NOW

"I think overall everyone would agree we are a bit behind (the AFL) at the moment given they are a truly national game," Smith said.

"They have got teams in Sydney and Queensland and over in WA and South Australia whereas we are down the eastern seaboard and New Zealand.
"If we want to grow the game and we want to be the best code in the country we need to expand.
"There are a lot of people who are for it, we just need to try and make sure the guys in charge are fully aware of that and how much support there is for the game around the country."
Expansion talk was put on hold last year when the NRL released its strategic plan, making it clear no new team would be admitted before 2017.
NRL expansion off the agenda
Smith added: "I saw a comment the other day where he wants to make our code the best sport in the country and I can't see why that can't be.
"We have a great product on field, it is extremely popular on television and we are getting good crowds through the gates as well.
"But I think we need to expand our game.
"I have played in Adelaide and I have played in Perth and there is some pretty good support there. We played at the Adelaide Oval and I think we had close to 20,000 there and over in Perth was sold out on the two occasions we played there."
Smith revealed a recent call from the new boss patched up that embarrassing gaff at Dave Smith's initial press conference, where the former banker conceded he didn't even know who Cameron Smith was.
CEO vision: NRL will be best game in Australia
"Obviously we spoke about that briefly," Smith laughed.
"I didn't take any offence. I just spoke to him from a player's point of view on where I see the game going. Obviously he wants to move forward and make it a strong business.
"I think we are (heading in the right direction). Obviously we have a pretty significant television deal so we are cashed up. We just have to make some good decisions business-wise."
Smith also backed his coach Craig Bellamy over concerns early scheduling ignored player welfare.
Bellamy declared the reigning premiers were "shafted" when the 2013 draw was announced.
"As Craig said we want to ban the shoulder charge because of player welfare but they don't mind having one of their teams who are representing the NRL travel to England, come back, then send them up to North Queensland and then five days later have to back up again,' Smith said.
"But at the end of the day we will just do our best. We are not going to worry about that any more, we have been told that is what we have to do so we will do it as best we can."
Bellyache: Storm slam 2013 draw
Despite the gruelling early-season schedule, Smith wants the All Stars to remain as the unofficial season kick-off regardless of fears it is too big a risk for the game's elite players.
Both Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk along with the Gold Coast's Dave Taylor have withdrawn because of injury but Smith said the concept still had the support of players.
"Like any game it needs the backing of the players or it doesn't work," Smith said.
"Obviously the game is the highlight of the week but during the week we have seminars and sessions with indigenous groups and we do a lot of work with kids from rural areas and that is a bit of a kick for us guys too, seeing kids from the bush who rarely get to see NRL footy players.
"I remember when I was a young kid and Darren Lockyer walked past me and I remember thinking; 'Gee, that has made my day. I want to be like him when I'm older'.
"There is always a risk (of injury) but I think a fair few clubs are playing trials on the same weekend."
Smith turns 30 in June but he still believes his best football is to come - and trying to go back-to-back in 2013 is the obvious motivation for the Storm.
"There hasn't been a team that has done it since the NRL banner came in (1998),' he said.
"Teams have gone back-to-back to grand finals but never been able to take that trophy.
"But we are not about worrying about last year and thinking we have to defend this title.
"It is definitely achievable, you shouldn't be in the competition if you don't want to win it but we don't put any expectation on ourselves, we just want to be a good side every time we take the park and make sure we are not beating ourselves."

POPEYE

Coach
Spoken like a man who has no intention of a career other than League . . . either admin or media

elbusto

Coach
Spoken like a man who has no intention of a career other than League . . . either admin or media
Good on him. When he was down in Tassie he impressed all of us with the way he spoke to fans. He is a great asset to the game.

Raider_69

Post Whore
the next team admitted to the NRL HAS to be perth
any other team would be a joke... perth first and then figure out what the next best thing would be for an 18 team comp

ideally you'd like to have perth and adalaide in the comp by 2020

DIMEAST

Juniors
As much as I hate him when we have to play against him Smith's a real asset to the game. And to be fair Melbourne have been pretty shafted by the draw

BuffaloRules

Coach
It's hard to believe that there is no firm plan to expand to Perth. As others have mentioned, the time difference alone makes it a must for East Coast live games ie 6.30 pm Sunday night.

Announce this year that they will be in for 2015, and expand to 18 teams for the next TV deal in 2018

DC_fan

Coach
Putting off expansion till at least 2017 is one of the worst decisions the games officials have made in the last 20 years.

The game has to expand from its present boundaries. But to go along with expansion to other areas of Australia we need to look at cutting back the number of teams playing out of Sydney.

DC_fan

Coach
WA, NT and a second NZ team is whats needed.
Relocate Souths, Sharks and Titans and we done.

I agree with WA and a second NZ team. But I can never see a team from the NT being apart of the NRL. Just does not have the population to support one.

In the long term, say in twenty years time we should e looking to include a team from PNG and teams from Asia in the competition.

BunniesMan

Immortal
What should happen is irrelevant. The only relevance is what can happen and what will happen. The NRL is essentially owned by the existing clubs. Smith and Grant and everyone else when you really think about it all ultimately answer to the clubs. If the clubs unite they can sack anyone.

So when you understand and accept that you understand and accept that there will not be any expansion during the life of this tv rights deal. The clubs were barely above water for years. They've finally secured a deal that makes them financially comfortable. They're not about to share when 9 has confirmed that a 17th and 18th club won't improve the current deal.

They are going to get this entire deal to themselves then when we negotiate the next deal we'll be able to expand towards the end of this decade.

Matchball

Bench
I agree with WA and a second NZ team. But I can never see a team from the NT being apart of the NRL. Just does not have the population to support one.

In the long term, say in twenty years time we should e looking to include a team from PNG and teams from Asia in the competition.
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...Main+Features~Northern+Territory?OpenDocument

Darwin could easily support a team and the talent pool would be amazing. Also use it as a feeder club for PNG players.

They could pull 20k to a game.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Darwin, PNG, etc won't get NRL teams for ~40 years, if at all. They'll get teams in the level below, which atm is the QLD & NSW Cup.

It's a given that the NRL has four expansion slots left. WCP, Adelaide and SEQ3 will take three of those spots. CCB, QLD5 or NZ2 will take the fourth. There's no way for Darwin or Pt Moresby to compete for it.

Lambretta

First Grade
the next team admitted to the NRL HAS to be perth
any other team would be a joke... perth first and then figure out what the next best thing would be for an 18 team comp

ideally you'd like to have perth and adalaide in the comp by 2020

I would imagine that this would be the about the right timing for when they will be admitted and much of that will depend on technology and how we access information over the next decade.

BM is right in saying the clubs won't want expansion as it will hit them financially, so I imaginethe NRL will tread lightly during the current TV deal in terms of expansion and look to expand in time to improve the next TV deal. In the meantime they should be investing in the grass roots of the next area they wish to expand into and that should be Perth.

But of course they won't do that - it's too sensible and there is far too much self interest among the current players who will eat up most of the money with increases in the salary cap meaning expansion will be even harder for the next team that comes in.

However - time will tell if the next TV deal will be as rich as this one is and if it is what about the one after that? Television viewing habits are changing. With "freeview" offering a wide range of TV options coupled with hard drives which mean you can record shows simply and have an almost never ending backlog of shows available to watch at any time, pay TV's attraction is waning. Couple this with internet streaming, downloading etc etc etc and the spread of options and diminished viewing figures and you suddenly start to wonder what the future has in store for pay TV in the market place.

This will have implications in future broadcasting discussions and the revenue raised from them.