What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nrl & Nfl

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
Interesting read. Good Stuff!!

I think I can remember a black american dude running around with Parra about 5 years ago. He was a running back but played prop for the eels reserve grade. Don't think he was from the NFL but SBS spoke to him for one of their superbowl shows.

And Shinedog still quoting yourself again I see!! :lol: :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unless they had started playing at a young age non would. Sure many NRL players have the physical attributes and temprement to have made it in whatever sport they could have ended up in but AF is so technical and is so far apart from RL that I don't believe any senior age player could switch at the highest level of the game. You have to remember that in the good old USA they have millions of kids playing the game, a very select few thousand get through to college level and then an even fewer 1000 or so of those get to NFL level.

Pazza

First Grade
i dont think many league players could make good NFL players and NFL players good league players. The nature of both games is totally different, NFL is highly explosive and the NRL tests an athletes cardiovascular and muscle strength like no other sport on earth. An NFL runnings back would do alot of damage for 3 or 4 hit ups but with the amount of running and tackling forwards in the NRL do a running back would be on his knees after 5 - 10 minutes. But an NRL player would suffer with the shear strength these NFL players have because when you dont need to train you cardiovascular system your able to build more absolute and explosive strength (plus riod use in the NFL is out of control).

To me the rugby league player (esp backrowers) is one of the worlds ulimate well rounded athletes, he has to train his heart to last 80 minutes, he has to be strong to tackle, he has to be expolsive to burst through the line. no other sport demands such well rounded fitness like league/union.

Pazza

First Grade
And its not in the colision that makes league tough. Its in the amount of running a player has to do. In defence from winger to winger you gotta get back ten metres and sprint up in a line together to meet the opposition. after 6 tackles then you gotta chase the kick. Thats tough enough without adding the hit ups and tackles.

I played soccer for 5 years then 3 seasons of league as a kid/teen and i can safely say that soccer in no way tested my fitness in the way league did.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I reckon someone like Hindmarsh would have to be one of the fittest athletes in the world when you consider his size, the amount of strength he needs and the stamina required to do what he does for 80 mins.

I think if you took the top NRL players and top NFL players (well maybe not the linemen!) at age 12 and swapped them into the different games they would make it in each others sports. Wide Receivers = Wingers, Linebackers = Props/2nd Rowers, Centres = Running Backs etc.

Have played both games and they require different types of toughness and skill. RL was harder on the fitness side of things but I got hit harder in AF and suffered more injuries despite all the padding.

Pazza

First Grade
there no doubt the americans hit harder but so they should, they train to be highly expolsive. Get a nfl player to do the beep test then try and tackle someone and their explosive strength would be much lower.

but there are times when i played league i wish i had a helmet on. there is nothing to like about getting elbowed or kneed in the face lol. But as a league player you just gotta wear those hits and keep playing.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
Perth Red said:
Have played both games and they require different types of toughness and skill. RL was harder on the fitness side of things but I got hit harder in AF and suffered more injuries despite all the padding.

Second that. And when i played our team was always short of numbers and most people played both ways and special teams. And hitting 1 or 2 people each play kinda wore me down too.

But for a top athlete, given 6 months correct training, they should be able to improve their cardiovascular or explosiveness.

Matt Utai - now there could be a great running back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmMzBbRfgBE&mode=related&search=

This is Terry Tate, he played for the 49ers. What NRL team wouldn't want that?

Perth Red

Post Whore
True and no different in AF. They are both very tough games just in different ways. I think the controlled aggression is the thing they share the closest compared to any other sport.

Pazza

First Grade
eric grothe jnr has incredible strength and speed, he would do ok in the NFL.

Bumble

First Grade
novacastrian_panther said:
what is a nose tackle??? :?

One of the big tankers in the defensive line who tries to kill the quarterback.

Why EA would make the point that the guy whose job it isn't to chase people down the field couldn't catch Hodgson or Bowen, is beyond me.

Bumble

First Grade
Pazza said:
eric grothe jnr has incredible strength and speed, he would do ok in the NFL.

He is basically the only player I can think of who would do well. The rest are too small, and if anyone seriously thinks Lote or Gasnier could be a brilliant running back in the NFL...:lol:

Stranger

Coach
NRL players in the NFL?

Only if you plan to see Grant Hackett playing in the Australian mens waterpolo...

Bumble said:
One of the big tankers in the defensive line who tries to kill the quarterback.

Why EA would make the point that the guy whose job it isn't to chase people down the field couldn't catch Hodgson or Bowen, is beyond me.

In Rugby League it's everyone's job.

That's the point and why the comparisons between the two sports are as legitimate as comparing apples and oil.

Only brain-dead nuffies even bother.

Gibbo

Juniors
TheBourbonBeast said:
Interesting read. Good Stuff!!

I think I can remember a black american dude running around with Parra about 5 years ago. He was a running back but played prop for the eels reserve grade. Don't think he was from the NFL but SBS spoke to him for one of their superbowl shows.

And Shinedog still quoting yourself again I see!! :lol: :lol:

Lets not forget Manfred Moore, the American footballer they brought out to play for the Newtown jets.

Bumble

First Grade
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
In Rugby League it's everyone's job.

That's the point and why the comparisons between the two sports are as legitimate as comparing apples and oil.

Only brain-dead nuffies even bother.

Yes, so of course if you were going to compare an NFL player to the NRL, you wouldn't use a lineman as an example.

I don't know about "brain-dead nuffies", there are some players who would do well in the NRL, Devin Hester as a fullback for example.

Bumble said:
Yes, so of course if you were going to compare an NFL player to the NRL, you wouldn't use a lineman as an example.

And you wouldn't use an NRL halfback as an example either.

Bumble said:
I don't know about "brain-dead nuffies", there are some players who would do well in the NRL, Devin Hester as a fullback for example.

I didn't say there aren't players that couldn't make it, either way. But they couldn't just waltz into a team, even Hester. He's used to running a ball back once every 20 minutes, not running one back every 3 minutes.

What I said was that the two sports are so different they're basically beyond comparison.

babyg

Juniors
You can't just look at physical attributes and say that they're going to make it. What sets lckyer and Johns apart from the rest is their brains. Even Inglis, it's his poise and ball handlings not just his speed and strength that makes him special.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Look at a player like Deon Sanders and without doubt if he had been born in Sydney and taken up RL at a young age he would have made it.

ocko

juniors
sanders was very fast, maybe the best pure cover-corner ever, a truly amazing natural athlete if i ever saw one (only bloke ever to have played in a world series and a super bowl). wouldn't be good in rl though because he couldn't tackle for sh*t.