What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Nightmare

super_coach

First Grade
The final 8 is basically done and dusted two months from finals time. For the rest of the years there are going to be plenty of nothing games. Crowd numbers will tail off big time and media ratings will drop.

To me it proves, there is a real shortage of NRL standard players and when they do come on the market they tend to head towards the top teams. The salary cap was introduced to level the playing field but I am not sure that it has had the reserve effect, with bottom clubs being forced to pay massive overs to attract players and usually ordinary ones at that.

Not sure what the answer is, love to have a draft and a transfer system, but that will never happen due to legal constraints. Anyway I get the feeling for 8 teams and their supporters its going to be a long couple of months

super_coach

First Grade
And they call me negative lol

You only have to look at the teams outside the eight and their draw. Its not rocket science, okay things can happen, but bar a salary cap auditor finding some books out of order I can not see anyone from the outside the top 8 making it to finals time.

The NRL would love to have four teams fighting it out for position no8 in the last round, but it aint going to happen in 2018

mongoose

Coach
You only have to look at the teams outside the eight and their draw. Its not rocket science, okay things can happen, but bar a salary cap auditor finding some books out of order I can not see anyone from the outside the top 8 making it to finals time.

The NRL would love to have four teams fighting it out for position no8 in the last round, but it aint going to happen in 2018

The Cowboys made the grand final last year with a WEAKER team than they have this year. The Eels came 4th with practically the same team minus Radradra....

nice theory you have but no....

super_coach

First Grade
The Cowboys made the grand final last year with a WEAKER team than they have this year. The Eels came 4th with practically the same team minus Radradra....

The reason for it happening doesn't really matter, the fact that it is going to happen will hurt the NRL big time. Although I still maintain the main problem with the NRL is they do not have enough quality players to spread evenly across 16 clubs.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The reason for it happening doesn't really matter, the fact that it is going to happen will hurt the NRL big time. Although I still maintain the main problem with the NRL is they do not have enough quality players to spread evenly across 16 clubs.

hahahaha
what ?

then why the thread ?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Who’d have said at this point last year the cowboys would go on to make the GF? Sport can be a funny thing, couple of key injuries, payers falling out, coaches losing it, surprising form found etc.

I’d say raiders, Wests and knights are still in with a shout.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I think the bigger problem lies in some clubs seemingly being able to stock pile the best players and no proper quality reserve grade meaning the depth isn’t there when injuries occur.

Not enough talent is a furphy, look at origin, best two squads of players, in the main, in the nrl yet hardly an even Comp over the last decade. You will always get good teams and crap teams each season, it’s the nature of sport.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Who’d have said at this point last year the cowboys would go on to make the GF? Sport can be a funny thing, couple of key injuries, payers falling out, coaches losing it, surprising form found etc.

I’d say raiders, Wests and knights are still in with a shout.

Hey all we have to do is win every game for the rest of the season and we win the comp this year

Zerô

Juniors
If you honestly think crowd numbers will drop off from teams that won't make the 8, then with that thought process they should pick up for the teams guaranteed a finals spot.

If you only go to games when your team is winning you're a shit fan

jim_57

Staff member

And Panthers, Warriors and Dragons were all tipped to go pretty crap this year. If it was the same Top 8 & contenders every year he may have had a point.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The final 8 is basically done and dusted two months from finals time. For the rest of the years there are going to be plenty of nothing games. Crowd numbers will tail off big time and media ratings will drop.

To me it proves, there is a real shortage of NRL standard players and when they do come on the market they tend to head towards the top teams. The salary cap was introduced to level the playing field but I am not sure that it has had the reserve effect, with bottom clubs being forced to pay massive overs to attract players and usually ordinary ones at that.

Not sure what the answer is, love to have a draft and a transfer system, but that will never happen due to legal constraints. Anyway I get the feeling for 8 teams and their supporters its going to be a long couple of months
The final eight is by no means "done and dusted".

At least 10 teams are still in it, possibly even 11 depending on how you view it. While it'd be better if a few teams lower than that were in contention, it's not bad. The race for those spots will still be fiercely contested, as well as the jockeying within the eight, and the minor premiership race is tight as.

There is more than enough to keep fans interested for the rest of the year.

As for your inference that the playing field isn't level - literally only four out of sixteen teams haven't won a premiership since 2000 (and one of those teams is only 11 years old lol).

siv

First Grade

Not sure what the answer is, love to have a draft and a transfer system, but that will never happen due to legal constraints. Anyway I get the feeling for 8 teams and their supporters its going to be a lon

What you are seeing is effecting of not have a NRL team run reserve grade

We are seeing part-time professionals trying step up and taking a good 6 to 9 months to prepare for FG

There is a big gap between FG and NSW-QLD Cup and its got worse between NSW-QLD Cup and Flegg/u20s

We really need to bring back a National RG for the NRL 30+6 Players

And setup a U23s structure somehow

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I guarantee you at least 2 of the sides currently in the top 8 will be teetering on the brink come R26. Late runs happen every single year.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I would say there is more a lack of depth in coaching staff and original coaching thinking than player depth.

Once a team finds success playing a certain style it seems 10 other teams just try and copy that for the next few years.

Latest posts