What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nrl plans for a 20 team comp

final say

Juniors
NZ 2
Perth Bears
PNG

I think they'll approve PNG with a 5 year timeline kinda thing. Maybe announce them for 2030 or something to get the infrastructure in place.
I still think team 18 is either Perth or NZ 2.
I don't think you could consider another QLD team for 20 years, there's already 2 that aren't fully bedded in or experienced prolonged success.

Billythekid

First Grade
Perth and NZ2 are absolute musts. Personally I’m not sold on another SEQLD team. The titans are still trying to find their place and the dolphins are just getting their footing. Maybe I’m crazy but I think 3 teams is enough to cover the region. Maybe in 10 years time I’ll look at things differently but I doubt it.

Im really not sold at all on PNG and it just seems like a huge risk for the NRL who are rising high right now. Are the benefits really worth all the risk? I’m not convinced at all.

Id like to see an Adelaide team to compete the national comp, something the AFL will never be able to do (I know Tasmania is missing but I don’t think you need a team there for a national comp). I’m not sure if there is enough demand of someone willing to make it happen.

Brian potter

First Grade
Perth and NZ2 are absolute musts. Personally I’m not sold on another SEQLD team. The titans are still trying to find their place and the dolphins are just getting their footing. Maybe I’m crazy but I think 3 teams is enough to cover the region. Maybe in 10 years time I’ll look at things differently but I doubt it.

Im really not sold at all on PNG and it just seems like a huge risk for the NRL who are rising high right now. Are the benefits really worth all the risk? I’m not convinced at all.

Id like to see an Adelaide team to compete the national comp, something the AFL will never be able to do (I know Tasmania is missing but I don’t think you need a team there for a national comp). I’m not sure if there is enough demand of someone willing to make it happen.
But….but $600 million government handouts.

Pippen94

First Grade

Location is only a small part of bids

Re: PNG - what does the NRL and the existing clubs get out of the whole thing?

I get the 60m pa government support means its essentially a free kick for the NRL but what else do they get out of it? And what do the other clubs get out of it? I'm assuming they have to get something to keep them happy and get them buying into the proposal, especially if PNG gets the mooted tax benefits.

Is it purely an increased broadcast deal and therefore increased grant thing? or is there something else

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

I get the 60m pa government support means its essentially a free kick for the NRL but what else do they get out of it? And what do the other clubs get out of it? I'm assuming they have to get something to keep them happy and get them buying into the proposal, especially if PNG gets the mooted tax benefits.

Is it purely an increased broadcast deal and therefore increased grant thing? or is there something else
Thousands of NRL standard players apparently and a big smile knowing we've kept communism and poverty at bay.

Wb1234

Immortal

Suspect pvl will bribe clubs with extra money

Suspect pvl will bribe clubs with extra money
Yea I figured as much but where will the extra money come from?

Will it just be via a bigger grant once the extra games are built into the next TV deal, or will they all get a piece of the 60m, or a one off payment from cash reserves? combination of all the above?

Will be real interesting to see if the tax breaks are enough to attract players and staff too. Compound living doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Pippen94

First Grade

Will it just be via a bigger grant once the extra games are built into the next TV deal, or will they all get a piece of the 60m, or a one off payment from cash reserves? combination of all the above?

Will be real interesting to see if the tax breaks are enough to attract players and staff too. Compound living doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

What does Perth bring that helps other clubs?!

Perth Red

Post Whore

Thats the issue, unless NRL is going to skim some of the PNG money off the top for themselves its not adding any $ value to NRL or clubs. Id love to hear the sales pitch on this one that is going to convert 96% of clubs to think its now a good idea!

Perth Red

Post Whore

Bears are a perfect fit for Adelaide. they can own the club outright and impose on themselves whatever non negotiables they like. There is no backing or momentum for an Adelaide club locally that I can see so it would need someone like the Bears to make it a reality.

Pippen94

First Grade
Thats the issue, unless NRL is going to skim some of the PNG money off the top for themselves its not adding any $ value to NRL or clubs. Id love to hear the sales pitch on this one that is going to convert 96% of clubs to think its now a good idea!

PNG creates pipeline for players in catchment of over ten million.

Pippen94

First Grade
Bears are a perfect fit for Adelaide. they can own the club outright and impose on themselves whatever non negotiables they like. There is no backing or momentum for an Adelaide club locally that I can see so it would need someone like the Bears to make it a reality.

Wherever bears lay their hat, that's their home. Maybe they can play south Aussie government off against western Australia?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
PNG creates pipeline for players in catchment of over ten million.
Does it though? It could be decades before that becomes a reality given the state of RL at Jnr levels in that country. Im not sure clubs are buying it, if it was such a talent pool theyd already be scouting over there like they do in NZ.

Pippen94

First Grade
Does it though? It could be decades before that becomes a reality given the state of RL at Jnr levels in that country. Im not sure clubs are buying it, if it was such a talent pool theyd already be scouting over there like they do in NZ.

..yeah, pacific don't produce rugby talent. Crazy concept!!

Latest posts