What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News NRL Plans to Fund Regional Academies

franklin2323

Immortal
Round 4 the sky was falling in. We have a huge improvement in a few sides. Manly and Cows haven't lost since. A few upsets have been thrown in.

Was always going to take longer to get going because of other issues outside the rule changes

franklin2323

Immortal
I would like a way to setup 2k grandstands on rectangular fields as part of the proposal

Maybe with a COE next door

And keep doing this for 10 years bringing in a number of new locations every year

Penrith are doing theirs based at school. So can start it off cheaper

10$ Ferret

Staff member
What about just funding country rugby league comps and clubs.
Until the NRL realises the most important pathway is the one from u6s to A Grade without playing any rep footy, then the game will continue to stagnate

Dorris_is_mean

Juniors
That was a whole wall of text with no breaks but I'll do my best to respond...

Project Apollo itself was great in getting the game back on. The protocols / bubble were great.

The rule changes? Jury's out. Fans of teams benefitting no doubt think they're great - for now - but the long term damage will be the issue.

As for 'detractors' - every leader in every space has them - sport, politics, you name it. Dismissing critics because you don't like them doesn't negate what they have to say.

This bush funding idea is great on its face. I was simply sharing my view on how the coverage in News Corp media completely lacks any critical analysis of anything he's done over the past year. I'm not even talking about them having a go at him, but has anybody at the Tele or CM or Fox Sports etc actually done any piece even looking at the impacts of things he's implemented? Again - doesn't have to be hating on him. Just seems like he gets free press from certain outlets.

Translation:
My team sucks
So I want to slow the game back down
So my club doesn't get exposed as the basket case they are
Which hurts my feelings

Saxon

Bench
How about just funding grass roots football?

"Club academies" is still all about the NRL and feeding the game at the top level. These people don't seem to understand that the game itself needs a strong base, anything else is just an artificial propping up and will be unsustainable over the long term. The less kids who play the game, the less potential superstars will develop.

franklin2323

Immortal

"Club academies" is still all about the NRL and feeding the game at the top level. These people don't seem to understand that the game itself needs a strong base, anything else is just an artificial propping up and will be unsustainable over the long term. The less kids who play the game, the less potential superstars will develop.

Is there really a kid shortage though? Teenage years are where country footy is falling through.

The issue is jobs etc out there but no harm improving the talent of those out there

Perth Red

Post Whore

i wonder if Vlandys consulted with nswrl and qrl, whose actual job it is to be doing this stuff?

MugaB

Coach
i wonder if Vlandys consulted with nswrl and qrl, whose actual job it is to be doing this stuff?
Its not their job, PR get it thru your head, the NSWRL & QRL comps are a comp its not there to produce for the NRL, thats what the NYC was for, the clubs should be doing it for their own sake otherwise they individually fall and stay at the bottom of the ladder

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its not their job, PR get it thru your head, the NSWRL & QRL comps are a comp its not there to produce for the NRL, thats what the NYC was for, the clubs should be doing it for their own sake otherwise they individually fall and stay at the bottom of the ladder

nswrl and qrl are responsible for all levels of grassroots rugby league in their states.
What is the role of these academies? If it’s to take the best regional 16 year olds and give them advanced training and coaching to see if they can make it into the nrl system fair enough.
If it’s supposed to increase jnr participation that is the state leagues jobs.
Not to mention it sounds like the forward thinking clubs are already doing it
https://www.cowboys.com.au/community/academy/

MugaB

Coach
nswrl and qrl are responsible for all levels of grassroots rugby league in their states.
What is the role of these academies? If it’s to take the best regional 16 year olds and give them advanced training and coaching to see if they can make it into the nrl system fair enough.
Well yes this is what im talking about..
Nrl clubs should be taking ownership over their own juniors, not outsourcing from reserve grade

TheRam

Coach
they are massively in bed together through nsw racing. Why surprised?

on the proposal it’s a great idea. Not sure how far $110k is going to go per club to set up a regional academy though? Barely a FT development officer salary. No academies for melbourne or canberra?

Exactly what I was thinking. It's not even a drop in the ocean. The last time I heard(years ago), the AFL was spending over $20m a year in NSW alone and same in QLD. God knows how much they are ploughing in now?

This is a great idea and a massive increase in junior development by all clubs is the only way a 2 conference competition will ever work.

I have said countless time that all NRL teams should be made to spend at least $1m on junior development with strict KPI's as part of the deal. If any club fails to meet their KPI's the NRL takes the million dollars off of their Salary cap allowance and invests it in that clubs junior regions.

Without a concerted effort in growing the game at all lower levels, how the hell do they think that a 18-20 team conference system is anywhere near viable? We haven't got the players to sustain a 16 club comp now. Just look at the haves and have nots. The new rules are awesome, but they have also exposed the lack of NRL quality players we now have since the dismantling of the lower grade pathways that used to exist.

The ARLC is trying to reestablish these pathways now and probably ultimately rejig the State Cup system, which is the main problem here at this level.

NRL clubs need to be the ones bringing on the reserves and U20's or whatever Under's they decide on, not State Leagues. No one does it better then the NRL clubs system. Always have and always will. We used to be the envy of all sports systems, but sadly to save a few bucks the Clubs have almost killed the golden goose.

It's time to throw a bit of feed her way and get the old girl back on her feet so she can get to laying those golden eggs again.

When will the NRL clubs ever learn that there are no shortcuts in Rugby League both on and off the field. Unless you are the Roosters of course. Then picking the eyes out of the best young talent does really work for you, but ultimately doesn't help the game one little bit.

TheRam

Coach
If your aim is to make it uncompetitive by the halfway mark and more blowouts than ever before - which leads to people turning off their TVs - then sure, the game is "more attractive".

The rules aren't the problem, it's the lack of player quality within the NRL. The wrestle just masked the disparity.

TheRam

Coach

Spot on. Clubs need to invest in their own future. No one else will. Logical really.

Time to wakeup and smell the coffee. There are no free lunches ffs.

TheRam

Coach

Some clubs are doing it, but it is all hit and miss at the moment. We need a formal and proper procedures and KPI's to measure the investment put in place. You know like a $Billon business should do.

Latest posts