What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 24 2024 - General Non-Warriors thread

Blair

Coach
It's funny, but I've got the Simple Minds 'Greatest Hits' playing and 'Alive and Kicking' came on just as I was about to start this thread. How apt. The Warriors are not alive and not kicking (well not many goals and field-goals, that's for sure).

Latrell and that photo (taken by another player's mum?) will be the story of the round, outside the footy (we'd hope).

Tonight, it's the biggest pre-finals game of the year. Penrith hosting Melbourne. We know both teams are good but we also know there's a couple of flaws, which might be the difference, particularly in the wet.

Friday, it was supposed to be a night out at Brookie for me, but I've balked on spending a hundred dollars on this current Warriors outfit (you go to the '4 Pines Brewery' for happy-hour beforehand). Manly's pace outwide might just tear us shreds anyway. SJ v DCE has been a dual for 14 seasons now, and this is the final match-up between the pair. Easts should be too strong for a Parra side that lacks the heart to win tough games. They can roll the Warriors though, but then they're not the Roosters, are they?

Saturday, Canterbury v Redcliffe. Two sides that might meet in September, and both will look for an early advantage here. NQ v Canberra. Both bloody average, both thinking finals is a big pass mark for the season, but it's not, is it? Not when you're just a poor side, well out of premiership contention.

The Tigers have the spoon, again. What an ongoing tragedy for a proud and loyally-supported club. They might get a morale-boosting win v the Rabbitohs though. Latrell must casting a big shadow over Redfern. Raspberry cruisers are a bit of a joke too, for grown men that is. Have Souths been on them all year? It would explain a lot.

Sunday, St George are still in it, the Gold Coast are not. They say a week is a long time in politics, and it is in league, too. We finish with Cronulla gettin' physical again (that's their go now, bashing sides out of the contest) v the Knights. Although, the boys from the old steel town won't take too kindly to blokes coming at them with fists up! It'd be like any night out in Newcastle, minus raspberry cruisers, you'd think.

Enjoy.

Blair

Coach
'Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime' is on now. Hopefully this Warriors year will be distant memory by the off-season.

...I didn't sign off before 'Promised You A Miracle' came on! Now I'm thinking of the PR Machine we put up with at Warriors HQ this year. I better sign off.

Blair

Coach
10-all, Melbourne with a silly penalty to put them under pressure, then Penrith drop it in the next set on the Storm's line.

This might be what the GF is like, so close it'll come down to no-error football.

...kick to Warbrick over little To'o is a strategy. It's worked. Warbrick taps back to Katoa to score. 16-10, Storm.

...some confusion at the end there. So, if you tap the restart with a man in front then you're called back to do it again. But if you kick it then it's a penalty.

Penrith slotted the two, 16-12, Storm. Halftime.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Not sure if I’m watching a good game, or a sloppy game, but it is entertaining

Thougjt Warbrick probably knocked on as well but not enough there to overturn the on field call

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
He is. But didn't he take out his own player?
Not really sure what Joey Johns is on about, his shoulder got Laurie’s melon and clenched fist sorted out Munsters face. Joey was calling a head clash the reason for Laurie’s HIA but he didn’t clash with anyone

Blair

Coach
Cleary gone with a shoulder, could be a big moment for this years premiership

And at 22-all here, who will be Penrith's clutch man? Nine mins left...

...Fish gives away a soft penalty with a late hit on Hughes. Penalty in front, 24-22, Storm. Five mins left.

Storm win a challenge to get a penalty on Penrith's line. But they spill the pill.

One hot minute to go. Penrith ball...penalty on halfway...no Cleary for a two-point fg! Edwards' effort falls short. 24-22, Storm. Final.

Last edited:
And at 22-all here, who will be Penrith's clutch man? Nine mins left...

...Fish gives away a soft penalty with a late hit on Hughes. Penalty in front, 24-22, Storm. Five mins left.

Storm win a challenge to get a penalty on Penrith's line. But they spill the pill.

One hot minute to go. Penrith ball...penalty on halfway...no Cleary for a two-point fg! Edwards' effort falls short. 24-22, Storm. Final.
Fish penalty very soft, I think they need to define them as a second step after the ball is passed.
It looked like he trying to tackle with a wrapping action as well.

Latest posts