What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL returns to pure Aussie rock for grand final entertainment

some11

Referee
LOL. Good call. Although Peter Garrett's songs don't appear to be about politics much.

DRdCK7D.gif

ed-grimley

Bench
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...t/news-story/83bf403965079071916024c6da501fe1

NRL returns to pure Aussie rock for grand final entertainment

Jack Houghton, The Daily Telegraph
September 7, 2018 12:00am

THE NRL has ditched international stars and politics for a return dose of pure homegrown Aussie rock for the grand final.

This year’s pre-game show will be provided by rising rock legends Gang of Youths, who also happen to be diehard footy fans out of rugby league’s multicultural Western Sydney heartland.

The band, formed in 2012 after meeting at a Hillsong church event, has racked up two hit albums and four ARIA awards with a US tour planned straight after the grand final.

NRL organisers said they wanted to go in a “slightly different” direction after last year’s US headliner Macklemore used the show to dive into the same-sex marriage debate.

The rapper performed his gay rights anthem Same Love, igniting a row between the NRL and former prime minister Tony Abbott, who declared “footy fans shouldn’t be subjected to a politicised grand final”.

Gang of Youths will perform three of their hits that made the top 10 of last year’s Triple J’s Top 100.

Frontman Dave Le’aupepe said he was incredibly proud to perform at the grand final and was hoping the South Sydney Rabbitohs would make it.

“We’re Sydney boys and footy has always been a significant part of our lives,” he said.

“I’m a Souths fan and Samoan. I can’t guarantee that the Rabbitohs will be there, but this will be a very proud moment for me and my family.”

The selection of Gang of Youths harks back to previous Aussie bands who have rocked the grand final including Cold Chisel (2015), You Am I (2010) and Wolfmother (2009). International artists have had a mixed record, with the low point being Billy Idol’s glitch-ridden 2002 performance.

NRL chief commercial officer Andrew Abdo said: “After the success of last year’s entertainment, we wanted to go back a slightly different genre — just a great Aussie rock show from one of the best young bands in the business.

“Gang of Youths are relevant, they are home grown, they are contemporary, and they are renowned for producing one of the best live shows going around.”

The band is known for songs Deepest Sighs, Frankest Shadows and Let Me Down Easy.
I stopped reading when I saw Hillsong.

"Aussie Rock" and not one mention of the Cosmic Psychos. And before anyone says that they're a Victy ard band, they go for The Storm and The Broncos respectively. You can't get more "Aussie" than this

For Chrissake...who’ve you gotta root to get Christina Anu to belt out My Island Home?!
Neil Murray, the actual songwriter and who performed the better version with The Warumpi Band. This song should be the national anthem.

axl rose

Bench
Some would argue they’ve been a tribute band since Bon died.

There are rumours that Brian Johnson and Phil Rudd are back in the current line up however.

Ugh. What is the point, really. Have they not left enough of a legacy or earnt enough money? I say it died with Bon but 200 million album sales say im wrong.

GF entertainment, yeah just launch 50000 balloons into the atmosphere like the good old 80s. Done. Nothing will top the Optus tv collapsing in 1995 so they are wasting their time.

Last edited: