What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL rule changes: The 22 tweaks that would improve rugby league

PARRA_FAN

Coach
1. Definitely for Thursday but first Friday game at 5.30 pm? He's kidding I'd leave it how it is
2. If it means 5 mins for professional foul and 10 min for illegal tackles I'm ok with it. So what if the sin bins have increased players should know better
3. Meh I mean once every and then around Origin but not every week
4. I actually quite liked the twilight kick off 5pm of course they won't change it if 9 is televising it
5 and 6. No
7. If the Bunker cant tell he should be sacked how bloody hard is it
8. Why, you blokes write in the papers anyway
9. For one weekend definitely
10 and 11 Yes
12. Umm what?? When this was first brought up in 2017 I think, I'm pretty sure the team coming first was at 20 points ahead of 10th place.
13. Perth definitely deserves it
14. Not sure if this will work
15. Referees should send them off
16. No lets not go back there,
17. Why should we rush back into it are we going forget Langer, Sterling, Coote, Lockyer?
18. Only if the quality of football is good to watch. The Under 20s was scrapped because it was basically touch football
19. I don't mind it, but I prefer a Champions league system, top 4 from each comp
20. Then we'll settle Gus' argument lol
21. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

T-Boon

Coach
I’ll do a good list of 10:
1. Charge downs recovered do not restart tackle count.
2. 6 again for held up over the try line.
3. Make it 40-30.
4. Going into touch with ball is a tackle not a turn over.
5. Relocate manly
6. 6 again for crossing half way.
7. The half way line is on side. Like try line.
8. 1 rover defender who can defend anywhere on D side of the advantage line.
9. No gould
10. Kicks caught on full are a free play 7 tackle set play.
11. 11 aside.

mongoose

Coach
3. Make it 40-30.
5. Relocate manly
9. No gould
11. 11 aside.
we get it, you don't like Rugby League and want to resemble some circus sport or worse, AFL

siv

First Grade
Few interesting ideas here

Some duds too

Feels like Fox have started their new broadcast deal negotiation process

#1a - 7:30 yes for ThuNF

#1b - would mean moving the 6pm Fri game. Happy for the 6pm game to be a NRLW game instead

#2 - 10SB for a head tap is wrong, just needs better bunker rulings

#3 - MNF - no

#4 - agree but not fussed

#5 - yes but the RLPA is a issue

#6 - no - what happened to chip technology ?

#7 - yes can be used in a few other circumstances as well

#8 - RLPA will again be a blocker. Not fussed

#9 - yes but in 2 fortnights seperated by 4 NRL weekends and bring back CvC in Qld and NSW

#10 - works well with #9

#11 - WCC is a no brainer but on 3rd Fri in Oct

#12 - yes but after we expand to 20 teams

#13 - 20 teams - CC Bears / Ipswich Jets / Wellington NZ Orcas

#14 - no

#15 - yes

#16 - 2023 rule changes addressed this if policed properly. I would prefer In Goal touch judges and 4 sideline officials, with video only used for “line” or corner rulings

#17 - immortal concept is a issue, Hall of Fame should be enough

#18 - expand the Pre Season challenge to be 24 teams with QF, SF and F during rep fortnights

#19 - by not impossing their salary cap penalty before Last Round they created this problem. However both replica trophies should have been removed from Melbourne offices. Eg is Johnston already in front of Slaters tries as he scored them during years of salary cap rorting

#20 - yes

Eelectrica

Referee
3. Make it 40-30.
5. Relocate manly
9. No gould
11. 11 aside.
Sounds great. National Topball League when?

docbrown

Coach
How are these rule changes? How is Monday Night Football a 'rule'? Regardless:

1:
Only Channel 10 could start a match before 7:30 on F2A. 5:30pm on a Friday will be a ghost town in the stands. The better solution is a Thursday 7:35pm start with half time extended by 5 minutes to compensate for ad loss. You’d make more in that 5 minutes than in the lost 15 minutes of pre-game waffle as the ratings are almost doubled. On a Friday I’d like to see Channel 10 buy the rights and show a F2A double header. 6:10pm first game. 8:00pm second game. But 7 & 9 aren’t ever going to do that and games ending after 10:30 are too late and suffer viewer drop off.

2:
Player offenses should be split into 5 and 10 minute categories based on their severity.

3:
Monday Night Football will boost the next TV rights. AI is now capable of doing a decent draw to maximise all specifications for turnarounds etc. Primetime also maximises viewership.

4:
The Grand Final kickoff will never before 6pm again. But it should start at 7 to boost ratings and increase opportunities for post game programming.

9:
Networks don’t want Origin reduced to 3 weeks. You do that and they'll pay less for it. They like the breaks in between so they can promote the hell out of it. If you play Origin over 3 weeks, you will reduce the ratings for it. The best compromise is to therefore just reduce the amount of club games played in that period. Something like this for an 18 team comp:

Full round: 9 games – Thursday to Sunday.
Origin round. 3 NRL games – Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Sunday: Men, Women & Underage Origin.
Next round: 5 NRL games – Thursday to Sunday.
Origin round. 3 NRL games – Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Sunday: Men, Women & Underage Origin.
Next round: 4 NRL games – Thursday to Sunday.
Full round: 9 games – Thursday to Monday.

Origin is reduced to a 5 week window instead of 7. Still enough time to promote it. 18 games – exactly 2 per club (2 split rounds over 5 weeks) – is affected by Origin. But there is still enough NRL content to meet broadcasters requests.

12:
The NRL will have to extend the number of teams in the finals as the comp expands, otherwise too many end of season games become dead rubbers. We will have a 10 team finals format within the decade.

13:
Expansion preference list based on a combination population growth, income, untapped media markets for broadcast rights, existing club service, time zones and sustainability:

Necessary for being the Number 1 sports league in Australia & New Zealand:

Perth
Wellington/North Island
Adelaide

Achievable:

South-West Brisbane
Melbourne 2/Western Victoria
Christchurch/South Island

Achievable will massive amounts of government funding:

Port Moresby/PNG

Smaller populations/media markets that are unlikely to happen anytime in the next 20 years:

Sunshine Coast
Perth 2
Central Coast
Suva
Tasmania
Cairns
Darwin
Central Queensland

14:
Drafts suck. Clubs won’t develop players. They’ll buy them instead. Goodbye grassroots.

19:
A Challenge Cup for every non NRL team in Australia, NZ & PNG would work but the NRL would have to fund it. You just set it up like the UK version with teams entering at different rounds etc to minimise costs.

Reactions: Vee

snickers007

Juniors
Not gonna bother commenting on all these ideas, but #12 is so f**king dumb. We need less finals teams not more.

In the past 20 years, only 4 teams have made the GF from outside the top 4. And none have ever won it.

Adding teams 9 and 10 is just delaying the inevitable. Additionally, no team wants 2 byes in 3 weeks, which is what would happen for the winners of the 1v4 and 2v3 games in week 2. Potentially even 3 weeks off in 4 if one of those teams has a final round bye.

I get it, more games is more TV money, but outside of that, it adds nothing to the competition.

Should just be a 6 team finals series. We don't want teams who have 12-12 records in the finals. They're lambs to the slaughter.

gerg

Juniors
3. Make it 40-30.
5. Relocate manly
9. No gould
11. 11 aside.
I am drunk and bald after reading through your suggestions. I don't mind number 1, but 2 to 11 is pure jungle juice.

Anon

Bench
21: SHOULD THE SEA EAGLES AND EELS BE RETROSPECTIVELY AWARDED 2007 AND 2009 PREMIERSHIPS?
We saw the Storm put more than a few noses out of joint recently when they decided to celebrate their stripped titles for the grand final wins of 2007 and 2009. But what would Melbourne think if the NRL was to go back and retrospectively award those titles to the teams who lost out due to the Storm’s systematic salary cap cheating? That would mean the Sea Eagles would become the 2007 premiers, and the Eels in 2009. Imagine that, finally Parramatta wins another premiership.

No way in hell....The two teams the Storm cheated out of a spot in those grand finals could well have beaten Manly and Parramatta.

chrisD

Coach
More teams playing shit diluting the finals isn't worthwhile. Season goes too long and finals goes too long. Finals should be top 7, every game a knock out. First week, 1 vs Bye, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5, then it's down to 4 teams for the semis week 2.

Someguy

First Grade
bring back Monday night.

Let defending teams be able to touch a ball that hasn’t gone 10 from a kickoff/line drop.

tweak the strip rule 1 on 1 for the whole tackle, the whole stop a player with 3 and set up the strip is not good for the game imo.

what triggers a 7 tackle set needs to be looked at. Rule was brought in because of unskillful kicks from long out to stop any kick returns and have a set line to defend a 20m tap. The rule does not work as intended it punishes a short attacking kick much more than a long kick. The short kick gone wrong sees a quick tap with defence retreating or offside, a long kick sees a set defensive line for the tap.

T-Boon

Coach
Just watching a lower grade game.
The refs need to stop being involved in the aspects of the game that should be about player communication. For instance they yell out "outside" on a 40/20 kick communicating that the kicker was outside the 40. This is part of the game the players should be communicating the situation to one another rather than the ref. It is really similar to suggesting to the defense where they need to slide etc.

Just watching a lower grade game.
The refs need to stop being involved in the aspects of the game that should be about player communication. For instance they yell out "outside" on a 40/20 kick communicating that the kicker was outside the 40. This is part of the game the players should be communicating the situation to one another rather than the ref. It is really similar to suggesting to the defense where they need to slide etc.

You have no idea what you are talkiuung about. I suggest you go and watch some kids football. That kind of stuff has been going on for decades at junior level. If you think players communicate on stuff like that, you are dreaming.

Wb1234

Referee

This could really Improve the game

refs could stop giving penalties and if repeated infringements occur then use a fine minute bin

nrl games could be reffed like the grand final where the game flows and refs don’t influence the outcome much