What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL stars unite for flood victims

Gaffman

Juniors
AS CHRIS Walker spoke to The Daily Telegraph yesterday, the home of older brother Ben disappeared.

"Yeah, it's going under right now," the Parramatta recruit revealed. "Ben called me only a couple of minutes ago from Ipswich - said he was walking out as the water lapped his veranda.

"Apparently he's heading off to help mates sandbag their joints.

"My brother Shane is doing the same in Brisbane.

"So if we can just get approval for a more of us up there ... "

In a stunning response to the devastating Queensland flood crisis, some 80 NRL stars - the us as Walker puts it - are offering themselves up for emergency relief efforts across the stricken state.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal players from Parramatta, Penrith, Wests Tigers and Canterbury are all planning to converge on the disaster zones of Ipswich, Toowoomba and Brisbane early next week.

Speaking last night, Eels CEO Paul Osborne said the unified posse was awaiting confirmation from Queensland authorities that (a) players could get into the affected areas; and (b) they could be accommodated for up to three days.

"Like the rest of Australia we simply want to do whatever we can to help," Osborne said. "Clean houses, remove rubbish, whatever. We want to show the people of Queensland that we're here for them, that we care."The united relief effort was first born early Tuesday morning when Walker - who boasts family throughout the flooded Toowoomba and Ipswich regions - asked Osborne for a handful of signed jerseys to send north. Instead, the Eels boss got on the phone to chairman Roy Spagnolo. Then Canterbury rival Todd Greenberg. Another call each and the Panthers and Tigers were also on board.

"All of Australia is trying to work out how best to provide assistance and we're no different," Greenberg said. "Obviously we'll be doing fundraisers but we also decided an appropriate response would be our physical presence."

While the group will be guided by Queensland officials when it comes to the numbers of players who travel, Parramatta have already offered up their entire NRL squad.

Bulldogs back-rower David Stagg, who made his Origin debut for Queensland in 2006, will lead the Canterbury contingent while Maroons legend Petero Civoniceva is tipped to co-ordinate the Panthers.

"And to be honest it's all a bit overwhelming." Walker continued. "To think that 24 hours after chasing up four jerseys we've got four clubs involved, it's incredible.

"I know Queenslanders will really appreciate us getting involved with the clean up, school visits, helping wherever we can.

"A few days back, the house my in-laws live in at Toowoomba was 20 metres from being swept away. That's how bad it is up there ... the lucky ones only have their houses flooded."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-stars-unite-for-flood-victims/story-e6frexnr-1225986579645

Last edited:

Gaffman

Juniors
Fantastic to see ours and other clubs so keen to get involved. There is sure going to be a mess up here when it all goes down. I ventured into the CBD today where it was eerily quiet and the river was surging past. Pretty messed up.

BissyB

Juniors
I know a lot of people don't like osbourne as CEO, but things like this are more important the signings we make, the players we lose and osbournes heart is in the right place

Bigfella

Coach
I'll tell you something else. I haw heard counstless people who hav never met him bag the sh*t out of Chris Walker based on presumptions about how he seems
on the field. When people
meet him they will find one of the most enthusiastic, genuine,
and loyal family men they have ever met. He is an absolutely top bloke.
People will be very glad to have him in our club regardless of what he does
on field.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'll tell you something else. I haw heard counstless people who hav never met him bag the sh*t out of Chris Walker based on presumptions about how he seems
on field.

Hayden Knowles basically told me the same thing..

Tony Bongo

Bench
on field.

I agree 100%. I am also extremely proud of our CEO and players right now.

Bigfella

Coach
Yes, people who meet him, and don't think that they can judge him from what they see on tv.

There will still be tools who think that they hate someone they have never met, or won't give him a chance.

Gronk

Staff member
Well done to Chris Walker if he has woken up to himself because most of his career he has carried on like a first class knob.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Well done to Chris Walker if he has woken up to himself because most of his career he has carried on like a first class knob.

No he's just misunderstood. Really a top bloke. I know someone who met him for 10 minutes and said he is a top notch bloke.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Community spirit, teamwork and mates "digging in".

Im very proud of my footy team today.
Well done fellows.
Committment and attitude such as this will no doubt transfer onto the footy field.
But if it dosent ............ who cares.
Im still a very proud supporter.

Gaffman

Juniors
I've never met Chris Walker but someone else who is making their NRL comeback i have met briefly is Sean Berrigan... and that bloke its a top shelf tosser :)

Its tough being a supporter of any other team than the Broncos when you're in Brissy... the level of saturation they have in the community/media is enough to make you want to bring up your own lunch. They're pampered to the point of devoutly believing their own hype.

Ha i remember a couple of years ago seeing a game (can't recall against who) but Karmichael was injured and unavailable and i found him out the front of suncorp stadium 20 mins before kickoff, sleazing it up with some girls while smashing a can of Jim Beam & Cola. Now he's in the papers claiming he wasn't happy with the culture change at the club after Bennett left.

Anyway, i digress. I'm more than happy to have Walker at the club and proud of all the other boys!

Glenn

First Grade
Just to follow up on the efforts of Walker, just saw a twitter message that he will be auctioning off one of his SOO Jerseys to help with the fund raising.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Nikki

Coach
According to Chris Walker and Twitter, Carl Webb is also offering up a SOO jersey as well.

I dont care if people think these guys are pratts or not, the thing is they are doing a good thing now and at the moment thats all the matters.

SDM

First Grade
Carl Webb should donate his training jacket to patch up someones roof