What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL state of play: NRLW Magic Round, expansion and pathways

jim_57

Staff member
nsw cup is effectively nrl reserve grade, creating a new nsw cup that is a genuine second grade without nrl club interference and that incorporates the nsw regional cities would be a positive.

Any chance that will actually happen though? They could have that in it’s current setup like Queensland Cup does. Fair chance NSW Cup just becomes NRL 3rd grade sides + Bears & Jets.

Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see NSW Cup have a few regional/non-NRL teams like Central Coast, Coffs & Wagga, maybe Maitland and/or Bathurst or Dubbo. I don’t see how that will be any more likely if NSW Cup gets relegated to a 3rd grade comp.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Any chance that will actually happen though? They could have that in it’s current setup like Queensland Cup does. Fair chance NSW Cup just becomes NRL 3rd grade sides + Bears & Jets.

Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see NSW Cup have a few regional/non-NRL teams like Central Coast, Coffs & Wagga, maybe Maitland and/or Bathurst or Dubbo. I don’t see how that will be any more likely if NSW Cup gets relegated to a 3rd grade comp.
No, but its nice to dream.

siv

First Grade
If we’re talking 18 NRL teams then that’s 324 a week taken out of NSW & QLD Cup. If anything there probably be more disruption to NSW & QLD Cup sides as players drop in & out. Those players will be fringe 2nd graders instead of fringe first graders now though.
And every year 250 players graduate from U21s programs

In Qld you will see little impact as each club has arrangements in place to cover the 3 or 4 players

Even in NSW you have all clubs already playing 10 fringe RG players and they also have arrangements if all NRL players are unavailable injuried/suspended or on rep duty

With many western Sydney clubs already running a second team in the RM Cup

All of these players today step up to fill in the gap, and will welcome regular football

And of course there will be the 250 U21 graduates to fill any gaps

Its pretty simple

And if they are a few short in year one

Another 250 U21 players will graduate in year two, and again in year 3 etc etc

Last edited:

siv

First Grade

People are too fixated with a flawed concept of 3rd grade comp - thats a flawed 2008 concept that has left us in this mess

Its not

Its a simple 2nd Division or 2nd Tier

We have always run RG within tiers since the 1960s. You see that in Qld Cup and in old Metro Cup NSW Cup clubs today as they kept their RM Cup team

With NRL disengaged and all 30+6 or 40 players covered by the NRL grant process, you can then manage and grow the QRL and NSWRL grants for these Tier 2 clubs on a equal playing field

That then opens the door for NSW regions to join

Iamback

Coach

Because those areas can't compete with the resources of the NRL clubs. Wyong tried, Even Mounties who are a big club couldn't field a competitive side without NRL guys

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because those areas can't compete with the resources of the NRL clubs. Wyong tried, Even Mounties who are a big club couldn't field a competitive side without NRL guys
Thats the point, pull out the NRl clubs and you can build a level playing field for the rest and clubs in regional areas can join without being whipping boys of the nrl reserve grade sides

Reactions: siv