What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL state of play: NRLW Magic Round, expansion and pathways

Vee

First Grade
He’s resolved their CBA war with the RLPA and locked in Las Vegas, now ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys has set his sights on an NRLW Magic Round, expansion and pathways.

David Riccio, Michael Carayannis and Brent Read

4 min read
August 14, 2023 - 7:56AM

NRLW Magic Round in Queenstown, expansion to an 18th team and taking State of Origin overseas.
These are the hot ticket items the NRL will target with the ultimate ambition that the game becomes financially “unbreakable” and lift its assets value to $300 million according to ARLC chairman Peter V‘landys.
In the wake of signing-off on the richest pay deal for players last Thursday, ARLC chairman Peter V‘landys and CEO Andrew Abdo are leading the NRL at full-steam to commence work on broadening the code’s horizon like never before.

ARL Commission chair Peter V'landys and NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo have finalised the plans to crack the US betting market. Credit: Supplied.
This comes just a day after the NRL finalised its landmark move to captivate the US market by announcing the Rabbitohs, Sea Eagles, Broncos and Roosters will take part in a double-header to kickstart the 2024 season.
With Vegas and the collective bargaining agreement secured it can be revealed that the NRL will now continue with plans to;
– Expand to 18 teams before exploring a 20-team competition
– Take Origin overseas
– Revamp pathways.
Having already secured a historic 2024 season launch in Las Vegas, V‘landys and Abdo are working on several major projects that would spread the footprint of the game.

That includes opening talks with the New Zealand government about a possible inaugural NRLW Magic Round in Queenstown in 2025.

In a further exclusive for The Sunday Telegraph, V‘landy has revealed the NRL is about to add another major investment, just more than 12-months after purchasing the Gambaro Hotel on Caxton Street for $22 million.
“The first thing we need to do is to make the game unbreakable,” V’landys said. “For too long we were breakable. We have to make ourselves financially unbreakable. “We can go to $300 million in assets. We will announce another purchase very soon. The first thing we have to concentrate on is $300 million in assets to make the game financially unbreakable. During Covid-19 we had three months of funds left. To make the game financially viable for the future, that has to be high on our list.”

Warriors CEO Cameron George is a major influence in the discussion, providing logistic and infrastructure detail for Abdo, which has also led to interim dialogue with New Zealand broadcasters, Sky TV.
The picturesque Sir John Davies Oval in Queenstown, with a crowd capacity of 19,000, has been identified as the location for what would prove to be a momentous moment for the NRL.
Test matches and Super Rugby matches have both been played at the venue.
V’landys said participation and expansion were other issues which needed immediate addressing.
“One of the areas we dropped the ball on is in schools and the education department,” V’landys said. “We have focused in the last 12 months to two years in that area.
“The third (big issue) is the 18th team and expansion. I think (Roosters chairman) Nick Politis’ 20 team vision is achievable if done correctly. But you need the participation part flying.
“We want to invest in a referee academy. Just like we want a pathway for players, we want a pathway for referees.”
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
REPAIRING RELATIONSHIPS

There were plenty of barbs thrown between the NRL and the RLPA. Such was the level of angst between the two parties, RLPA boss Clint Newton declared he would stand down if it meant getting a deal done. In turn the players lost confidence in some of the game’s authorities and as recently as this month took part in a concerted campaign to be critical of the top brass. Does this new deal help calm the waters or has there been irreparable damage done?

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

REPAIRING RELATIONSHIPS

There were plenty of barbs thrown between the NRL and the RLPA. Such was the level of angst between the two parties, RLPA boss Clint Newton declared he would stand down if it meant getting a deal done. In turn the players lost confidence in some of the game’s authorities and as recently as this month took part in a concerted campaign to be critical of the top brass. Does this new deal help calm the waters or has there been irreparable damage done?

NRL EXPANSION

The game’s big ticket item. Already the likes of PNG, Western Australia, Brisbane Easts and New Zealand have been earmarked as the potential 18 teams. There is a push to expand to 20 teams. The NRL needs to develop a clear blueprint on a growing competition, starting with confirming an 18th side by 2026. And let’s not forget North Sydney and Newtown who are eyeing off a chance of aligning with one of the new entities.

INTERNATIONAL ORIGIN

The NRL announced that Perth will host Origin in 2025 and 2028. Melbourne will have a match next year and in 2026 which leaves 2027 up for grabs. The New Zealand government has made a pitch to snatch the showpiece event which would see the game taken overseas for the first time since a one-off game in the US in 1987.

NRLW EXPANSION/MAGIC ROUND

Just like their male counterparts, there is a massive push for the NRLW to continue to grow. Already this year we saw four clubs introduced. Eventually all 17 clubs will have a women’s licence, it is just a matter of time. The NRL fast-tracked the introduction of new teams this year so it remains to be seen how quickly they will want to add more. Also, a planned magic round in New Zealand needs serious consideration.

PATHWAYS

A national reserve grade competition has brought about plenty of resistance from the state bodies. Those talks will continue. So too will the pathways structure at the elite junior level. Will the current age groups stand or will there need to bringing a top flight under-20s competition again?

FORWARD PASS TECHNOLOGY

This is something which the game has flirted with for the past couple of years and even secretly trialled. As it stands there is no great belief that the technology is foolproof. But with growing discount on the amount of forward passes being missed, the introduction of the microchip in the football seems more likely than not at some stage.

The game wants to future proof itself. Already we have seen that with the purchase of the Gambaro hotel and restaurant in Queensland by the NRL. They won’t stop there. For too long the game has relied on broadcast and sponsorship money alone. But the current administration won’t stop until they diversify their assets to leave the club in a strong position.

CLUB LICENCE AGREEMENT

The clubs are without a licence agreement to compete in next year’s competition. This could become one of the next big issues for the NRL. Although the parties have already a financial deal including the size of the club grant which is usually the biggest sticking point. The clubs are adamant they want a say on any potential expansion and that could yet prove to be the biggest hurdle.

Wb1234

Referee
Wow there’s a lot in there to digest

forward pass technology and a referee academy are interesting

Good to see they are buying another major asset too so soon after the gambero hotel

team 18 to be confirmed by 2026

nrlw magic round in nz plus origin is also good

would love to see the return of the under 20s

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Some great initiates and future proofing. I suspect 18th team will be out for tender by the years end, with a decision in 2024 for a 2026/7 start.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There were clubs ready to join NRLW in 2024

Will that go ahead?
I think the next round of expansion is slated for 2025? I know the Warriors are very keen to be reinstated after Covid forced them to pull out of the original comp.

TheRam

Coach
I think the next round of expansion is slated for 2025? I know the Warriors are very keen to be reinstated after Covid forced them to pull out of the original comp.

Surely NZ and Melbourne are the next two.

I would love to see a whole bunch of women from Victoria pick up the game and start to play. It would transform the profile of the game down there if we could get a few thousand women playing it there.

The interest in both the sexes would start to go up and we would see actual needle change on the dial in viewership and attendance I would think.

The women's game is such a positive for the game as a whole. It has added so much more interest and fresh air positivity to our sport. If you get the women and children, the men will follow.

Wb1234

Referee
Surely NZ and Melbourne are the next two.

I would love to see a whole bunch of women from Victoria pick up the game and start to play. It would transform the profile of the game down there if we could get a few thousand women playing it there.

The interest in both the sexes would start to go up and we would see actual needle change on the dial in viewership and attendance I would think.

The women's game is such a positive for the game as a whole. It has added so much more interest and fresh air positivity to our sport. If you get the women and children, the men will follow.
With the success of the women’s soccer World Cup nrlw csn capture a much bigger attention now

TheRam

Coach
It has got to be NZ2.

Agreed.

Christchurch and their brand new 25k transparent roofed stadium, which will be ready just in time from 2026 onwards. Perfect timing and synergy.

Any other option would be silly. Also the ready made rivalry between them and the Warriors would be awesome and may even trigger the Auckland Govs to get their sh*t together and build that on again off again waterfront stadium.

Also now that the Warriors are flying and NZ are right behind them and the game of RL in general like never before, we need to make bank while it is raining positivity and enthusiasm and grow the game over there like never before. Make them NZer kiddies dream of growing up being a warrior or a whatever a Christchurcher is going to be (Popes?) instead of just an All Black.

V'Landys make it so.

Iamback

Coach

Panthers were too. They even have coach and an elite comp to get players ready

TheRam

Coach
Panthers were too. They even have coach and an elite comp to get players ready

Fu*k the Panthers. Mel and NZ next...Panthers should be last or close to last. Already have two teams in the West. Other areas needed to be included first before more in Sydney. I would bring in the Dolphins and even Manly before I brought in the Panthers

Iamback

Coach
Fu*k the Panthers. Mel and NZ next...Panthers should be last or close to last. Already have two teams in the West. Other areas needed to be included first before more in Sydney. I would bring in the Dolphins and even Manly before I brought in the Panthers

Those areas need development programs in place. Particularly in the womens game that isn't professional yet

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Those areas need development programs in place. Particularly in the womens game that isn't professional yet
NZ already has all the infrastructure in place, remember they’re actually an NRLW foundation club but had to pull out due to Covid restrictions