What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Take-Over Of The Dragons

possm

Coach
What if the NRL are part of the problem; allowing this mess to continue in order to assume control of the Club?

I've for a long time believed the NRL would like to see a restructure of some Sydney Clubs with the aim of reducing the number of NRL Clubs located in Sydney. The Dragons are in debt to the NRL, performing poorly on the field, are an administrative mess and are currently showing no idea on a way to improve this situation.

I believe the NRL are keen on implementing a 10 pont plan similar to the one deailed below in an effort to facilitate its agenda of reducing the number of Clubs operating out of Sydney:

1. Take over the administration of the St George Illawarra Club; sacking the Board in the process.

2. Relocate the entire Dragons operation to Wollongong.

3. Forgive/wipe the Dragon's $6m NRL debt and grant the franchise a gift of $10m as start-up capital.

4. Issue a licence to WIN TV for 100% ownership of the St George NRL franchise at a price of $10m..

5. Transfer all of the assests of the former joint venture to the new franchise.

6. Re-distribute the Dragons Sydney Junior Clubs between the Dogs, Roosters Sharks and Bunnies at a price of $3m for each Club.

7. Offer a NSW Govt. / NRL grant of $10m to further improve crowd capacity at Wollongong WIN Stadium.

8. Allow the new St George Club to play all home games at Wollongong Stadium.

9. Increase the new St George NRL Squad’s Salary Cap by $2m for the following 3 years and provide a grant of $6m to the new franchise for the purpose of developing juniors in their new districts.

10. Provide the new St George Club with assistance to secure 3rd party sponsorship of key players.

These are only my thoughts and opinion. Your opinion and comments are very welcome.

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
What if the NRL are part of the problem; allowing this mess to continue in order to assume control of the Club?

I've for a long time believed the NRL would like to see a restructure of some Sydney Clubs with the aim of reducing the number of NRL Clubs located in Sydney. The Dragons are in debt to the NRL, performing poorly on the field, are an administrative mess and are currently showing no idea on a way to improve this situation.

I believe the NRL are keen on implementing a 10 pont plan similar to the one deailed below in an effort to facilitate its agenda of reducing the number of Clubs operating out of Sydney:

1. Take over the administration of the St George Illawarra Club; sacking the Board in the process.

2. Relocate the entire Dragons operation to Wollongong.

3. Forgive/wipe the Dragon's $6m NRL debt and grant the franchise a gift of $10m as start-up capital.

4. Issue a licence to WIN TV for 100% ownership of the St George NRL franchise at a price of $10m..

5. Transfer all of the assests of the former joint venture to the new franchise.

6. Re-distribute the Dragons Sydney Junior Clubs between the Dogs, Roosters Sharks and Bunnies at a price of $3m for each Club.

7. Offer a NSW Govt. / NRL grant of $10m to further improve crowd capacity at Wollongong WIN Stadium.

8. Allow the new St George Club to play all home games at Wollongong Stadium.

9. Increase the new St George NRL Squad’s Salary Cap by $2m for the following 3 years and provide a grant of $6m to the new franchise for the purpose of developing juniors in their new districts.

10. Provide the new St George Club with assistance to secure 3rd party sponsorship of key players.

These are only my thoughts and opinion. Your opinion and comments are very welcome.

Sacrilege!

Surely if the NRL didn't force the sharks to move or merge a few years back when they were in arguably a worse position than us (and with little heritage or legacy) then I'd be very surprised if they tried that sort of thing on with us.

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
Sacrilege!

Surely if the NRL didn't force the sharks to move or merge a few years back when they were in arguably a worse position than us (and with little heritage or legacy) then I'd be very surprised if they tried that sort of thing on with us.

The difference is the Sharks didn't owe millions to the NRL. They brought on directors who stumped up their own cash and came up with a real estate deal that actually has a chance at generating real $$$$ independent of football operations.

Whereas our mob bet the farm on RGRV and bequests to pay way out of debt.

Saintsified

Bench
I rather we close our club down completely now....bow out just like any corner shop that doesn't work anymore.

Gareth67

First Grade
If what Possum believes that the NRL could be planning , only conjecture of course , had been said 10 years ago , I most certainly would had laughed !

Unfortunately the people at the helm of the NRL , and I will say this as tactfully as I can ,
do not inspire as much confidence as did previous Chairmen such as Kevin Humpreys ,
Ken Arthurson and those before them , Bill Buckley , all dedicated men .
Their one over-riding concern was that our game remained strong . Look after the clubs and the fans .

Today , I believe that the priority is 1 - Money , 2 - Clubs 3 - Fans .
In short , the game has been sold off to the Networks and Media . Also I have thought for some time that the NRL has too many teams , it has over expanded , by 2 teams .

What Possum has said , does not make me laugh , as nothing the NRL do would surprise me .

Last edited:
Reactions: Qdf

possm

Coach
No thanks Possum.Suggest you take your suggestion with you and stuff it up a tree.:sob:
Sorry, it's not a suggestion; I hate the idea. It's just that to me it seems a real possibility given the way things are progressing.

thebigredv

First Grade
On days like these St George supporters can be forgiven for thinking their club is already dead. Cheering on the Cutters in the grand final and with a first grade team that is non-competitive and virtually broke. Long live St George.

FlameThrower

Bench
On days like these St George supporters can be forgiven for thinking their club is already dead. Cheering on the Cutters in the grand final and with a first grade team that is non-competitive and virtually broke. Long live St George.
...offseason is only 1 day away...hang in there....

j0nesy

Bench
Possum, be careful speculating on things that may not / probably won't happen. It's not good for you. You'd be far better to put your energy into a cause that will help to build a club that you want. Build a vision don't defend against a hypothetical. Just my thoughts...

Carlton

Juniors
I have a vision of St George winning 12 premierships starting in 2017.

Oh wait they sold it, moved it to Perth, changed its name and we struggled to win a game. If there are potentially undesirable events unfolding you need to question them. Otherwise you wake up one morning and its all too late.

Carlton

Juniors
I don't know what will definitely happen as I don't have enough information. That doesn't mean I should be an ostrich and not question what is happening and wonder about the motives and possible outcomes.

The club has dished out spin for years and trusting fans have accepted it (I know everyone hasn't). During this time the club has been run into the ground without providing any real information. Maybe its time to stop trusting and push to have this information provided so that supporters can understand what the future is (if any).

Carlton

Juniors
Sure, ask questions of the club and take action, if you care. But speculating about highly unlikely negative scenarios isn't going to help.

I'm with Possm on this, I'm not saying its definitely going to happen but I don't think its as highly unlikely as what you are saying. In my opinion these are the sorts of scenarios we should be putting on the agenda and openly discussing as supporters.