What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Take-Over Of The Dragons

j0nesy

Bench
I'm with Possm on this, I'm not saying its definitely going to happen but I don't think its as highly unlikely as what you are saying. In my opinion these are the sorts of scenarios we should be putting on the agenda and openly discussing as supporters.
Fair enough, it's a scenario and we can all talk about it. But what can we do to prevent it? I mean we have overwhelming agreement that Mary is not a good coach and should be replaced, but that's all for nothing because we supporters can't do squat about it.

I could think of 1000 failed joint venture scenarios and discuss them with you guys, but for what? We have no say and can't do anything about it. My point is that we first need to change the status quo some how so we can get a say, we need a seat at the table. We should focus our efforts into that first. The only real go I've see recently is the initiative that drewsta is trying to kick off.

There's no way the NRL would force a total move to the Illawarra. While it works from a dots on the map perspective, there's just too much to lose as far as people lost to the game forever.
Stadium funding will become an issue however and as stands neither venue has a suitable capacity/facilities nor enough content to justify expenditure.
I wish more and more that the Stadia Strategy Steering Group wasn't a corrupt (and criminal) facade of a committee and that real outcomes to cater to key tenets were pursued. A 30k all-seater at Sydnenham for us, Dogs and Souths would have been great.
I'm getting off topic I know but this got me thinking about WHERE we will call home in the medium to long term.
Perhaps predominantly in Wollongong with 3-4 games at Kogarah? Real games though. Sharks, Dogs and 1 other?

SaintPauli

Juniors
Nrl would never let go of the Woolongong region. It is a rugby league Heartland and the St George name and associated history make it a glamour club name. The club has Reaped in many successes with a large supporter base. I would return to Kogarah and Woolongong split homes games with the NRL forking out ground expenses.

WHY? It's worth the NRLs investment considering the many football codes in Sydney. The right game righ venue may be a $ thing but the fans are not buying into it. Crowds and memberships are way down. I know performances have not helped either!
The NRL need to look at SGI now and put it on the best path for US FANS

possm

Coach
Ok now that there has been some discussion, let's be prepared and stand up when or if there is a hint of such a scenario raising it's ugly head.

Now I'm retired I have more to time to think about things that are dear to me, so trying to figure reasons for the downward spiral our once great Club is taking, is front of mind in my posting this thread.

I'd love to see a cahsed up eintity buy our Club, retore the Taj to its former self and turn Kogarah Oval into a 30k seat stadium, with underground rail and bus station, servicing our Club and maybe Sydney FC.

Ok now that there has been some discussion, let's be prepared and stand up when or if there is a hint of such a scenario raising it's ugly head.

Now I'm retired I have more to time to think about things that are dear to me, so trying to figure reasons for the downward spiral our once great Club is taking, is front of mind in my posting this thread.

I'd love to see a cahsed up eintity buy our Club, retore the Taj to its former self and turn Kogarah Oval into a 30k seat stadium, with underground rail and bus station, servicing our Club and maybe Sydney FC.

Agree with all of this except personally, I'd like to see the venue hold 1.5million

Mick theTrick

Juniors
Why don't the Dragons move north and become the second Brisbane franchise, then they could play out of Suncorp every second week and get huge gate takings like the Broncos. :p

Dragons 09

Juniors
Why don't the Dragons move north and become the second Brisbane franchise, then they could play out of Suncorp every second week and get huge gate takings like the Broncos. :p

I could live with having the boys playing in my back yard every second week:D:p

I grimace at the thought of the scum and grubs getting their filthy hands on our junior nursery though:confused:

possm

Coach
Living in Brisane, I would love to be able to attend Dragons games on a regular basis. Through in Bennett as coach and you've got me.