1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL & NRLW along with the match programme for the coming weekend of action in the NRL Finals, NRLW, Challenge Cup, Super League, NZRL and the Toulouges Nines!

In this week's edition Paul Jobber goes one-on-one with retired NRL match official Gavin Badger, Rick Edgerton looks at some of the legendary halves pairings as Penrith pair Nathan Cleary & Jarome Luai ascend to potential greatness, and we look at a world of rugby league this coming weekend with Steve Mascord.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Finals Week 3, NRLW Round 3, Challenge Cup Final, Super League Round 16, NZRL Premiership and Toulouges Nines programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 21 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

NRL team: Trial v Newcastle Knights

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by tumbidragon, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Eatons Hill Dragon

Eatons Hill Dragon Juniors

I have been talking Blacker up the past 18 months. Has size, skill, offload, lateral movement.

With Kerr injured last night it's a great chance for Eddie to be in that 17 jumper.

Unfortunately for us, Mary will send an SOS to the Illawarra League and Lat's will come out of retirement.

Frank Facer and Dragon David like this.
  2. ALSGI

ALSGI Bench

I honestly didn’t see anything to get excited about just yet. First quarter was most telling. Gee they let the Knights offload a lot of ball.

Yes, some promising players there but McCoach will stick with Lafai and Aitken and revert to Dragon Footy.

3. This Year?

This Year? Coach

After watching the trial there is only 1 thing I can take from it.
    Saints will win the comp in 2020 and will probably be undefeated.

4. giboz71

giboz71 First Grade

You didn’t think we looked good defensively?

Newcastle’s 1st team were camped on our line for multiple sets in the 1st quarter and we only let in 1 try.

In fact our defence looked good the whole game.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Belta and Dragon David like this.
  5. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer First Grade

Interesting from yesterday:

First half - played our 1st grade squad, predictable, hit ups then kick. Didn't see much enterprise apart from Lomax's pass to Rava to score. Defensively ok

Second half - played mostly our fringe players, good variation, attacking running football, support play, offloads.

First half we score 6 points and gave up 6.
    Second half wd score 32 points and gave up 6.

Yes the second half, both teams had their fringe players in, but remember fod the first half Knights were missing Ponga and a few others. Our 3 biggest outs were Graham, Merrin and Kerr. Me thinks Ponga would have had a field day against us yesterday.

So, on to CS where we will get a much clearer picture of how we are shaping in 2020.

Dragon David, kit66 and ALSGI like this.
  6. redVinme

redVinme Juniors

Kerr was great this weekend reminds me of Vaughn a few years a go. A real tearaway with an eye for popping up and scoring tries through effort.
    Really think we need to lock him up as he will have a break out year if we let him once he is healthy.

Blacker too. Some of his hit ups reminded me of g burgess when he first got here. Just a big lump of a lad going 100 miles an hour.

7. kit66

kit66 Juniors

They might win the comp but not undefeated, they got beat already by Warrington in round 2. Still top of the table though.

This Year? and Old Kogarah Boy 1 like this.
  8. R&WTILLIDIE

R&WTILLIDIE Bench

Agreed...I think the dragons keep resigning McGregor every year to even the playing field as it wouldn’t be fair if we had a decent coach because we’d win another 11 premierships is a row and go undefeated.

9. ALSGI

ALSGI Bench

Like I said, I saw nothing to get excited about yet. Yes, only let one in during that first period but allowed lots of offloads, didn’t shut it down, type of play Ponga would’ve loved.

10. denis preston

denis preston Bench

Neilson & Farrell as centre superstars!

JohnnoMcJohnno likes this.
  11. kit66

kit66 Juniors

True our first half performance was great in defence but on par with 2019 in attack. Maybe the boys were under orders just to concentrate on getting their defensive structures working.
    I don't think Hunt and Norman have clicked since day one and yesterday was no different, they don't work together. Lomax chiming in was good to see and a promise of things to come I hope. I wouldn't have thought this yesterday morning but Clune could be an option in the halves, played a great organizing and attacking role and just took control - control of a stitched together rag bag trials team, not bad.

I really like Periera and 4 tries is a good effort but he didn't have to do that much and the right side, 2nd half Newc defence were clueless. I would still prefer to see Rava and Saab start on the wings. Maybe Periera to centre, who knows but we can't keep everyone in the team.
    Williame ( 1 try, 1 line break, 2 try assists, 2 line break assists ) looked real good out there and should slot straight into the centres, in for Lafai would be good but he looked good playing on the right and Aitken has to go, he just needs to go.

Kerr was starting prop last night and killed it, put on a fantastic try, he's so dangerous close to the line and he put on some great hits, I saw him hit Bromwich and Bromwich get up and looks around like " what just hit me ? ". If he keeps that up he needs to replace Graham to start with Vaughan - our go forward in the 1st half against Newc was woeful, only 850 metres for the entire game and you'd think most of that came in the 2nd half. Kerr and Vaughan with K.Sims, Graham and or Blacker off the bench should improve those stats and leave Friz and T.sims out wide where they belong.

redandwhite4evr and ALSGI like this.
  12. giboz71

giboz71 First Grade

I saw in yesterday’s trial and even at the 9’s we look a bit more organised defensively. Flanno’s value already being seen.

That alone is a positive.

Dragon David likes this.
  13. George Dragon

George Dragon Juniors

Anyone notice Lomax role in attack after his kick returns.

Jeremy Dragon likes this.
  14. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Bench

Yeap they were switching on and off

15. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Bench

But Mary needs a job soon.
    So I'll leave the painting to him.

16. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Bench

I think that a tie

17. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

A couple of times I seen him standing at halfback, he set up Rava from there.

18. Dragon David

Dragon David Juniors

Whole heartedly agree with both Kerr and Blacker.

redVinme likes this.
  19. Dragon Revival

Dragon Revival Juniors

Lomax looks good at retrieving his own kicks like the great Changa. Williame looked impressive at centre. Kerr's MCL injury could mean that he may be out for around 6 weeks.

possm likes this.
  20. rasaint

rasaint Juniors

OK we won well in the end. Both teams missing some good players.

I can not get carried away with the 2nd half. When the teams rolled out their 2nd stringers ours were much better and Newcastle’s defence was ordinary. Williame showed in running and passing that he has talent. Is pretty quick and throws a goos sharp pass. Tim Lafai looks to be suffering the accumulation of injuries to legs and ankles over the years. He was good at his best. Did well in 2018.

I have wondered whether Euan AIken is a lock over the years? Is strong and quick and defending in the centre of field would suit him. Just a thought.

SnowDragon likes this.