What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to launch crackdown on play the balls

POPEYE

Coach
The games involving the Poms didn't have play-the-balls 'cracked down upon' because they're not as relevant in England . . . neither is the need for 2 referees and pedantic stoppages

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Agree with my apprentice purist pops, the poms play perfect football, no need for refs to sully their sublime skills.

Addendum, all refs should be modelled on Tatu from Fantasy Island, the less out there the better.

Iafeta

Referee
They need to be careful on one thing though. The first one against Jazz Tevaga in the first trial, he isn't forced to the ground, called to play it, so puts it down and then gets a shove. You can see he's trying to touch it with his boot but is completely off balance. The penalty went against him.

Good thing Shane Tronc has retired. Never once played the ball correctly. The plodder used to roll it like backwards ten pin bowling.

Stallion

First Grade
The games involving the Poms didn't have play-the-balls 'cracked down upon' because they're not as relevant in England . . . neither is the need for 2 referees and pedantic stoppages

Agree with one point! The two referees are unnecessary. However playing the ball with the foot is essential. It creates discipline and is a subtle skill in itself. You will find when this is not enforced that other things are flaunted by players as well. The correct play the ball creates a further dimension in attack within the ruck area that embraces crafty moves around the ruck . The discipline factor is underrated. Also a subtle disrespect of the rules of the game is created by not adhering to this fundamental rugby league rule. It also adds to a boast that rugby league has a higher use of the foot in play than all other rugby type codes. So referring to our game affectionately as "footy" is more relevant.

Last edited:

Vozzy

Juniors
Still see a thousand forawrd passes thrown from dummy half though. Saw plenty in the tigers game from both teams it is the most obvious thing I see out there that gets let go.

TheFrog

Coach
Players have been doing it for at least 10 years, if not more.
Pommy touring teams used to do it 50 years ago. Back in those times it prevented the dummy half being able to strike for the ball, but nowadays I think there are more important things the game should be policing. Like defending teams standing offside on their own line.

Stallion

First Grade
Still see a thousand forawrd passes thrown from dummy half though. Saw plenty in the tigers game from both teams it is the most obvious thing I see out there that gets let go.

Yes. That too. It just takes timing to readjust runs. Get the play the ball right and the passing should flow on from that.

T-Boon

Coach

That and the tackled player moving off the mark usually forward and to the side making it near impossible for the markers to get square.

big hit!

Bench

touch judges are a bunch of harry highpants glorified flag waivers.

kasey badger pulled 3 up in a match last season. that's a touch judge doing their job!!

Eion

First Grade
It’s a bit bloody rude to have this as a penalty in the first place. Should be considered a knock on