What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL

SBD82

Coach
Today I watched two videos. One was the "shoulder charge" that papalii was penalised for in Monday nights' game against penrith. The other was a highlights package of hits from the NFL.

I've never followed NFL. And have only had a passing interest in it since hayne's attempts to break into the 49ers team. But the contrast between the two videos was almost scary.

I realise that this was a highlights package, and probably not representative of what you would expect from a regular season game, but it was exciting to see big hits celebrated again. And I'm seriously considering buying the NFL app so I can watch and follow their game.

I used to feel justified having arguments with NFL about which is the tougher game. But no longer. How can I advocate the toughness of our game when a bump like the one from papalii is considered illegal play? The NFL use significant padding and protection, but they take hits. It seems more and more that this is not allowed in our game. If it comes down to a choice between getting rid of the heavy contact and wearing full body armour, then I would be in favour of all our players getting fitted for helmets. It's Something I would never have previously considered to be an option in our game. But the increasing sanitisation of the sport has left me wondering whether it might be worth it, as long as we allowed proper contact again.

Tinkler

Juniors
NFL players in retirement are killing themselves...

they have average playing careers of 3 years

they are paying out a 1 Billion lawsuit to ex players

the helmets and protection make them play without care for their health or brain...

NFL teams are now learning to tackle Rugby style

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
Well the NFL have coined the idea of removing helmets all together so they may be thinking it's best to go the other way.

redvscotty

First Grade
Today I watched two videos. One was the "shoulder charge" that papalii was penalised for in Monday nights' game against penrith. The other was a highlights package of hits from the NFL.

I've never followed NFL. And have only had a passing interest in it since hayne's attempts to break into the 49ers team. But the contrast between the two videos was almost scary.

I realise that this was a highlights package, and probably not representative of what you would expect from a regular season game, but it was exciting to see big hits celebrated again. And I'm seriously considering buying the NFL app so I can watch and follow their game.

I used to feel justified having arguments with NFL about which is the tougher game. But no longer. How can I advocate the toughness of our game when a bump like the one from papalii is considered illegal play? The NFL use significant padding and protection, but they take hits. It seems more and more that this is not allowed in our game. If it comes down to a choice between getting rid of the heavy contact and wearing full body armour, then I would be in favour of all our players getting fitted for helmets. It's Something I would never have previously considered to be an option in our game. But the increasing sanitisation of the sport has left me wondering whether it might be worth it, as long as we allowed proper contact again.

f**k off to seppoville then. LOL

God-King Dean

Immortal
NFL is better

But I can see why Australians wouldn't like it - it requires them to think, rather than the bashing and barge simple nature of League. League easier for the working class man (average or below intelligence) to understand, so American Football would confuse them, and make them go into a Tall Poppy Syndrome rant about how much they hate Americans, despite knowing full well that the U.S. Is superior to us in everyway

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Yeah, the NFL in terms of entertainment and participation.

The NRL in looks like backyard wrestling in comparison.

Yep..Ill make my way back to the NFL forums haha.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I've been pretty lucky and got to attend a three NFL games. Amazingly large stadiums and fun atmosphere, had a mate there all three times explaining what was going on, etc, etc.

Did enjoy, but f**kkk it goes on and on and on.

NFL is better

But I can see why Australians wouldn't like it - it requires them to think, rather than the bashing and barge simple nature of League. League easier for the working class man (average or below intelligence) to understand, so American Football would confuse them, and make them go into a Tall Poppy Syndrome rant about how much they hate Americans, despite knowing full well that the U.S. Is superior to us in everyway

Says he who is just on the hayne bandwagon

nick87

Coach
I love both games, and will continue to watch and follow both... but if i had to pick one, tbh id probably be the NFL. I happily get up at 3am on a monday morning to watch games not involving the team i support, just love watching the sport... i wouldnt do that for RL.

My favourite team is and will always be the Raiders. But in terms of the sport, if i had to pick one, id probably say i prefer to watch NFL over NRL games these days.

GongPanther

Referee
NFL is better

Agree.

NFL as a cerebral,highly technical and brutal sport is way more entertaining than NRL.

If one is new to the sport,it will take time to soak in the intricacies of the way the game is played.

But once you adopt a team,get to know the game,it really is an immersive experience every game. Not once in a while,but every week is an event that only the yanks know how to put on.

Put a NFL comp game up against an F.A. Cup Final,and the NFL wins hands down.

reanimate

Bench
There's about 15 combined minutes of play in NFL lol

Well, yeah, that's the problem with it at the end of the day. I've learnt the game from plenty of time spent in the U.S., and when you're over there and immersed in the culture and the atmosphere, it's an entertaining game- the breaks get filled in with shit talking, discussion of plays etc, but remove the game from that atmosphere and setting and it's (in my opinion) terrible to watch. It's stop/start, like Union, but at least has some spectacular plays and big hits to make up for it, so it still has its strong points. Some games move at a molasses pace and get extremely hard to sit through though, especially when both teams are just making safe, boring plays. Some RL games are like that too, but slow RL games still see a lot more pace and action than a slow NFL game.

NFL is better

Where's my Sowie headgear you zombie merkin?

The only thing the NFL has over the NRL is the quality and timing of highlights. That's only way I watch the NFL since it's only like 15 minutes of play. If you want a more technical version of the NRL then go watch Yawnion.

Also have a go at playing gridiron without any padding, tried it once in highschool and the nurses office was flooded after lunch.

Latest posts