What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL wants to introduce a magic round, where every game is played at the one stadium

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...-the-one-stadium/story-e6frf3ou-1226834758878

The NRL wants to introduce a magic round, where every game is played at the one stadium

David Riccio
The Sunday Telegraph
February 22, 2014 10:00PM

NRL chief executive Dave Smith is planning to schedule an entire NRL round of the season over one weekend at the one stadium next year.

The concept is similar to the ‘Magic Weekend’ which has proven a stunning success in the English Super League.

The festival of footy would allow fans to watch as many as four NRL matches in one day at the same stadium.

While planning around the concept remains in it’s infancy, Smith has spoken to several leading NRL officials about the concept with the feedback overwhelmingly positive.

And proving the NRL are serious about the concept, NRL head of football Todd Greenberg met with the chairman of the English Rugby League, Brian Barwick, last Friday to discuss how the ‘Magic Weekend’ could work in the NRL.

An example of how the 2015 NRL Magic weekend could work is: two games played on Friday night, three on Saturday and three on Sunday.

Depending on the flexibility of current TV broadcast deals, there is also the potential that four matches could be played on both Saturday and Sunday - the popular model used by the English Super League.

The ‘Magic Weekend’ could also be slotted specifically during the State of Origin period, when fans historically find the regular season falls into a slump.

Super League use a ticketing model that gives fans the choice of paying for individual days or a cheaper two-day package.

The NRL Magic Weekend would most likely be held at either ANZ Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park or Moore Park’s Allianz Stadium.

However, Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane could also be an option. The football extravaganza could also open the door for the event to be played in Melbourne – offering the rare opportunity for the NRL to go head-to-head with the AFL over one weekend.

The event would also follow in the footsteps of the hugely successful Auckland Nines tournament where fans were treated to a carnival atmosphere where kids activities, entertainment, food stalls and bars operated within the stadium precinct.

Following his meeting with Barwick, Greenberg confirmed the NRL would continue to work towards making the ‘Magic Weekend’ a reality.

“We spoke at length about the ‘Magic Weekend’ so for me it was a bit of learning so we could actually understand how it works and how it works in their competition,’’ Greenberg said.

“The game continues to look at innovative ways to try new things and its clear from our discussions today that there’s lots of positives in that and we’ll go away and do a bit of work and do a bit of assessment on it.’’

Parramatta assistant coach Peter Gentle, who returned to the NRL this season after two years coaching Hull in the Super League, said the Magic Weekend was a highlight on the rugby league calendar in the UK.

“It’s a great concept,’’ Gentle said.

“From the first game on day one to the last game on game two, it didn’t matter which team you supported the supporters came to watch a rugby league festival over two days.

“It was a fantastic atmosphere.

“I had De-Ja -Vu last week at the Nines. Because like the Nines, the Magic Weekend had that carnival atmosphere and it also ran like clockwork.

“You have allocated dressing rooms, you have no cross-over of teams or hassles warming up. I cannot see any negatives.’’

Gentle added that the concept would prove a tourism coup for whichever city hosted the weekend.

“Over there (UK) you would see supporters grab the draw at the start of the year and plan their weekend around it,’’ Gentle said.

“If we were to do it, you’d have country people coming down for the weekend, Queensland people coming down for the weekend. People would come from all over NSW for it.’’

Cronulla Sharks five-eighth Daniel Holdsworth, who spent four years playing with Salford and Hull in the UK, gave a player’s point-of-view, describing

“The ones I’ve been involved in were unreal. The atmosphere was awesome for the fans and the players,’’ Holdsworth said.

“You go out for two whole days of footy and it’s just a great weekend.

“We played at Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium and they were getting 30 to 40,000 a day, which is just huge especially for the clubs that don’t usually get those crowds.’’

The NRL will meet this week to begin planning the entire 2015 schedule.

El Diablo

Post Whore
never heard of the pommy one

sounds bizarre and can't see it working under the current rights deal

magpie4ever

First Grade
If memory serves me correct, they had a League-athon at the SCG in the mid to late 70s. 3 games per day, it only lasted one year but was fairly succesful crowd wise.

Parra

Referee
We just had this. Was called 9's.

Preferred the older version called 7's when it was all done in a day - including Plate, Cup and Shield finals.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Id like to see something like this at least considered for Melbourne...

Sydney and Brisbane are the obvious choices, but (like the 9s) it is somewhat pointless playing there in terms of promoting interest.

The State Gov would probably pay, like they do for the Origin games, but flooding the city with the NRL teams i think would have a bigger effect than one Origin game.

Big Sam

First Grade
Only problem with Melbourne is the only stadium suitable is Etihad which the VFL practically owns. They're ok with one midweek Origin every 5 years but a whole round of League up against fumbleball?

It work in the UK as, for most teams, they are only a couple of hours drive between grounds (Les Catalans excluded).

In Australia, where it takes hours to fly between some venues this is a completely stupid idea. I cabn so see all the Warriors fans flying to Australia, the Cowboys and Melbourne fans travelling to Sydney or Brisbane :crazy:

Add in the money the clubs would lose from losing a home game (let alone how annoyed those team's season ticket holders would be) I think this is one of the daftest ideas I've heard of. Before you say "but if they got 80,000 people to the game) yeah 80,000 tix / 4-8 "home" teams, plus the loss of things like game days sponsorship arrangements, I don't see this as being a plus for the clubs at all.

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
Ours is done on a Saturday and Sunday, 4 games on one day 3 on the other all back to back for example this year schedule played at Man Citys Etihad Stadium.

Sat May 17th

12:30pm London vs Catalans
2:45pm Widnes vs Salford
5:00pm Hull KR vs Hull FC
7:15pm Wigan vs Leeds

Sun 18th May

12:30pm Wakefield vs Castleford
2:45pm Huddersfield vs Bradford
5pm Warrington vs St Helens

Yours would be identical i assume just with 1 extra game on Sunday night.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It's only been going for almost a decade...

Should be done in Melbourne. Would have greater impact down there.

Agree.

Id like to see something like this at least considered for Melbourne...

Sydney and Brisbane are the obvious choices, but (like the 9s) it is somewhat pointless playing there in terms of promoting interest.

The State Gov would probably pay, like they do for the Origin games, but flooding the city with the NRL teams i think would have a bigger effect than one Origin game.

Agree

Only problem with Melbourne is the only stadium suitable is Etihad which the VFL practically owns. They're ok with one midweek Origin every 5 years but a whole round of League up against fumbleball?

This is true. And I don't think we could have it at the MCG either.

Just had a quick look, they aren't playing any games at Etihad stadium in their round 10, which is around the 24th of May. Which is currently our round 11. (Yes, I know we're talking about 2015)

We could sell the round to a city. I can see Melbourne and Perth getting into a bidding war. Wouldn't mind seeing Wellington have a crack at it either.

Interesting times. Great seeing some pro activity being done by RL admin.

*Insert Gallop pic*

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It work in the UK as, for most teams, they are only a couple of hours drive between grounds (Les Catalans excluded).

In Australia, where it takes hours to fly between some venues this is a completely stupid idea. I cabn so see all the Warriors fans flying to Australia, the Cowboys and Melbourne fans travelling to Sydney or Brisbane :crazy:

Add in the money the clubs would lose from losing a home game (let alone how annoyed those team's season ticket holders would be) I think this is one of the daftest ideas I've heard of. Before you say "but if they got 80,000 people to the game) yeah 80,000 tix / 4-8 "home" teams, plus the loss of things like game days sponsorship arrangements, I don't see this as being a plus for the clubs at all.

Costs could/would be offset by the hosting city stumping up cash to host it. Looking at the nines as an example, it is also another great time to be selling team merchandise and memberships.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
This would be a huge slap in the face of the one club cities and their fans.

Taking one of the limited home games that one club cities get away to give it to Sydney, the city that gets the most NRL games all year, would be a terrible idea, that could end up a huge PR nightmare as well.

Maybe a round or two during the season where all the matches scheduled to be played in Sydney are held at one venue, but not a sort of Magic Weekend event.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
Was just going to mention that, teams that play last would be playing on a minefield.

Danish

Referee
Personally I'd prefer to see a "country round" where all games are taken to regional locations in country NSW, QLD, and NZ.

Canard

Immortal
Haha, most made up bullshit since it was claimed that SBW did something because of a handshake.