What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL2 Second Division

TheGrifter

Juniors
I think this would be the best to expand. It's been discussed on here a few times, but it's interesting to think about. A few points I would make.

Crowds.
If you look at second tier competitions around the world in soccer , the second division competitions get around 15-30% of the average attendance of the first division. So with NRL crowd average of 16k, a second division crowd average of 3-4k is realistic.

Clubs
Like it or not you would need a few clubs in and around Sydney to generate decent interest. Bringing back the old clubs would be a great story: the Bears, Newtown, Illawarra Steelers.

Costs
You could do it for way less than $100m. Start with 10 teams and give each a $1.5-2m grant, with NRL covering the travel costs as well. Clubs will have their own sources of revenue. It should be possible to run a second division professional club for $3-4m per year total cost. 10 years ago the NRL salary cap was only $4.4m.

Canard

Immortal
There is a 2nd tier comps run now in QLD and NSW.

Why would adding a Perth and Wellington team suddenly mean people would flock to see this level? Why don't those clubs just join those comps now?

The Australian sports market is to saturated to create a loss making endeavour like this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think this would be the best to expand. It's been discussed on here a few times, but it's interesting to think about. A few points I would make.

Crowds.
If you look at second tier competitions around the world in soccer , the second division competitions get around 15-30% of the average attendance of the first division. So with NRL crowd average of 16k, a second division crowd average of 3-4k is realistic.

Clubs
Like it or not you would need a few clubs in and around Sydney to generate decent interest. Bringing back the old clubs would be a great story: the Bears, Newtown, Illawarra Steelers.

Costs
You could do it for way less than $100m. Start with 10 teams and give each a $1.5-2m grant, with NRL covering the travel costs as well. Clubs will have their own sources of revenue. It should be possible to run a second division professional club for $3-4m per year total cost. 10 years ago the NRL salary cap was only $4.4m.
You could t find a 25 man full time squad on that. Realistically you’d need a salary cap of around $5mill.

as for why? well we have a number of population centres that will never get an nrl club as there simply isn’t going to be more than 18-20 nrl clubs for a lifetime. Why shouldn’t fans in those cities have a decent level professional RL club to follow? It’s incredibly selfish to say I’ve got a club but f**k you you’re just a dot on a map.

crowd wise I could see the smaller centres getting 2-3k and the bigger ones 5-6k. When the reds entered the jim beam cup we got 3-4k at hbf park for their games. Places like png probably much more.

nrlw has shown people will watch any rl, no reason nrl2 couldn’t draw 50k plus audiences, which is in par with some other professional sports

Pippen94

First Grade
You could t find a 25 man full time squad on that. Realistically you’d need a salary cap of around $5mill.

as for why? well we have a number of population centres that will never get an nrl club as there simply isn’t going to be more than 18-20 nrl clubs for a lifetime. Why shouldn’t fans in those cities have a decent level professional RL club to follow? It’s incredibly selfish to say I’ve got a club but f**k you you’re just a dot on a map.

crowd wise I could see the smaller centres getting 2-3k and the bigger ones 5-6k. When the reds entered the jim beam cup we got 3-4k at hbf park for their games. Places like png probably much more.

nrlw has shown people will watch any rl, no reason nrl2 couldn’t draw 50k plus audiences, which is in par with some other professional sports

Why?! Really, what's point of this second division other than ur need to put pins on map?!

Canard

Immortal

So why not enter that comp again, or the QRL State League?

It would cost a fraction of the money, and provide the outlet proposed.

Last edited:

TheGrifter

Juniors
Yeah definitely. I go to a few Newtown games every year. They have a Beer, Footy & Food festival 1-2 times per year which gets 5-10k...admittedly it's a special event but all those people are still there watching the football. PNG Hunters crowds were good when they were playing at home in Port Moresby pre-covid, regularly 7-12k I think.

Pippen94

First Grade
Yeah definitely. I go to a few Newtown games every year. They have a Beer, Footy & Food festival 1-2 times per year which gets 5-10k...admittedly it's a special event but all those people are still there watching the football. PNG Hunters crowds were good when they were playing at home in Port Moresby pre-covid, regularly 7-12k I think.

Perth red has framed all talk here & it's bs. Attendance won't support 2nd division. Doesn't matter how much they get & it won't be much. Broadcast rights is what drives competitions. Idea anybody would require or want 2nd division is joke too

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why?! Really, what's point of this second division other than ur need to put pins on map?!
Can you read? I just explained it lol.
- It gives a dozen markets that will probably never get nrl teams a
professional rl club to follow. Increasing the games fanbase and giving fans in those cities a club to follow.
- it improves pathways for jnrs and officials in new
markets
- it expands the game across Australia and the pacific at a professional level
- it increases the tv product significantly
- it grows the game

Perth Red

Post Whore
So why not enter that comp again, or the QRL State League?

It would cost a fraction of the money, and provide the outlet proposed.
Because state leagues are pseudo reserve grades with little funding, support, exposure or interest. Without pokie dens or nrl club funding them most of those clubs wouldn’t exist, they are not a proper second division.

Perth Red

Post Whore
whats a joke is to think rl has to be confined to just17 professional clubs leaving other markets vacant. Some rl fans are so small minded, it’s no wonder the sport hasn’t grown much in over 100 years and still largely confined to the places it started out in.
Perth red has framed all talk here & it's bs. Attendance won't support 2nd division. Doesn't matter how much they get & it won't be much. Broadcast rights is what drives competitions. Idea anybody would require or want 2nd division is joke too

Pippen94

First Grade
Can you read? I just explained it lol.
- It gives a dozen markets that will probably never get nrl teams a
professional rl club to follow. Increasing the games fanbase and giving fans in those cities a club to follow.
- it improves pathways for jnrs and officials in new
markets
- it expands the game across Australia and the pacific at a professional level
- it increases the tv product significantly
- it grows the game

It does nothing because nobody gives a f about 2nd division. You think NRL gets little coverage in afl wait till 2nd division.
PNG & Fiji is pathway because ppl actually play game there. Adelaide & Perth will just be full of kiwi's & Queenslander.
Tv will not pay for 2nd division. Nine will not put product on in afl states. Storm barely on nine now.
It will never happen because there's no money in it & ur just mentally masturbating about NRL teams on map..

Pippen94

First Grade
whats a joke is to think rl has to be confined to just17 professional clubs leaving other markets vacant. Some rl fans are so small minded, it’s no wonder the sport hasn’t grown much in over 100 years and still largely confined to the places it started out in.

Keep talking about attendance's like its 1980. Focus should be rights fees because without those game wouldn't exist..

WestskrXIII

Juniors
About a year ago I put this together:
Admittedly I put very little thought into the practicalities, and it is a very optimistic system. Very similar to the old Super League system.

Obviously there are numerous problems with this format, but I would love to see the NRL look into something like this. I think broadcasters would certainly be interested in televising lower-grade games, especially those involving old clubs that still have large fan bases such as Newtwon, North Sydney etc.

Canard

Immortal
Because state leagues are pseudo reserve grades with little funding, support, exposure or interest. Without pokie dens or nrl club funding them most of those clubs wouldn’t exist, they are not a proper second division.

Do you think rebranding them would suddenly create great interest? Or are you saying that these levels should just get more funding?

You said yourself that WA used to get 3 to 4k to a game, so why would you spend another $100M to achieve the same outcome?

Pippen94

First Grade
About a year ago I put this together:
Admittedly I put very little thought into the practicalities, and it is a very optimistic system. Very similar to the old Super League system.

Obviously there are numerous problems with this format, but I would love to see the NRL look into something like this. I think broadcasters would certainly be interested in televising lower-grade games, especially those involving old clubs that still have large fan bases such as Newtwon, North Sydney etc.

How does nine pay for NSW cup with those teams?!

Pippen94

First Grade
Do you think rebranding them would suddenly create great interest? Or are you saying that these levels should just get more funding?

You said yourself that WA used to get 3 to 4k to a game, so why would you spend another $100M to achieve the same outcome?

They wouldn't. This whole thing is Perth red fantasizing

Latest posts