What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW R1 - Sat 3:05pm - Roosters 4-10 Warriors @ ANZ

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
upload_2018-9-2_20-27-16.png

TL-SYD18.png

1. Botille Vette-welsh 2. Taleena Simon 3. Shontelle Stowers 4. Isabelle Kelly 5.Karina Brown 6. Lavina O'mealey 7. Maddie Studdon 8. Simaima Taufa 9. Kylie Hilder 10. Elianna Walton 11. Tazmin Gray 12. Vanessa Foliaki 13. Zahara Temara
14. Nita Maynard 15. Sarah Togatuki 16. Chloe Caldwell 17. Victoria Latu 18. Sharon Mcgrady 19. Ruan Sims 20. Brydie Parker 21. Quincy Dodd

TL-WAR18.png

1. Apii Nicholls-pualau 2. Langi Veainu 3. Shontelle Woodman 4. Onjeurlina Leiataua 5. Hilda Mariu 6. Laura Mariu 7. Georgia Hale 8. Annetta Nuuausala 9.Krystal Rota 10. Aieshaleigh Smalley 11. Tanika-jazz Noble 12. Alice Vailea 13.Luisa Gago
14. Sarina Clark 15. Lorina Papali'i 16. Amber Kani 17. Kahurangi Peters 18. Masuisuimatamaalii Tauaua-pauaraisa 20. Racquel Anderson 21.Lisa Edwards 23. Crystal Tamarua

Match Officials | Referees: Jon Stone, Joshua McGowan;
Sideline Officials: Jake Sutherland, Andrew Gilchrist
Video Referees: Luke Patten, Dave Munro

Broadcast | FOX League 502 & Nine Network

Last edited:

kbw

Bench
This game should be aligned with the Roosters v Cronulla game.

Regardless its going to be great to see this finally kick off

Timmah

Staff member
This game should be aligned with the Roosters v Cronulla game.

Regardless its going to be great to see this finally kick off
Likely aligned with the Panthers-Warriors game for four reasons:

1. Roosters fans can leave after the NRLW game to get to their NRL game with reasonable time
2. Warriors fans wouldn't have the same luxury, because
3. The NRLW game won't be played concurrently with an NRL final, which couldn't have been Roosters v Sharks at 5:30pm, because
4. That would've then clashed with the Swans game.

kbw

Bench
I think def the clash with the AFL and this also maybe the only chance that the Warriors can be aligned with NRL and WNRL are the biggest reasons.

Timmah

Staff member
Also the clear air thing, they won't play it concurrently with NRL matches because of TV broadcast (FOX and Nine are showing all seven matches)

Reactions: kbw

Danish

Referee
So the NRLW made a big push to get foundation members to their squads by promising an included ticket to your first game of the season with your membership.....

..... and then decide to schedule the roosters first game on the other side of f**king Sydney, on the same day their men’s side are playing a finals game. Essentially ensuring absolutely no roosters fans can go.

Glad to see the NRLW is being run with the same brains trust that runs the men’s comp.

kbw

Bench
Its Phil Gould's fault !!!!

Actually it is but I think he might have done the right thing. The NRL wanted the Penrith Warriors game at Allianz as well as a double header but Penrith refused due to not enough dressing rooms

Timmah

Staff member
So the NRLW made a big push to get foundation members to their squads by promising an included ticket to your first game of the season with your membership.....

..... and then decide to schedule the roosters first game on the other side of f**king Sydney, on the same day their men’s side are playing a finals game. Essentially ensuring absolutely no roosters fans can go.

Glad to see the NRLW is being run with the same brains trust that runs the men’s comp.
The match is at 3pm, concluding before 5pm.

That allows more than 2 hours (nearly 3) to travel about 15km.

If the promised ticket is still valid and the ANZ free travel thing is happening then this literally costs you nothing and prevents nobody from attending.

Danish

Referee
The match is at 3pm, concluding before 5pm.

That allows more than 2 hours (nearly 3) to travel about 15km.

If the promised ticket is still valid and the ANZ free travel thing is happening then this literally costs you nothing and prevents nobody from attending.

How many people do you think are willing to dedicate 9+ hours to attending 2 footy matches at 2 different stadiums in 1 day?

Timmah

Staff member
A question not really worth answering.

If you want to go to both, go, if you don't, then don't. I don't see what complaining about it achieves, it won't be changing.

Danish

Referee
A question not worth answering because you don’t like the answer.

The NRLW all but guaranteed that the Roosters women’s side will have zero chance of convincing fans to turn up and get behind them. In a 3 round comp, that’s diabolically bad.

Timmah

Staff member
A question not worth answering because you don’t like the answer.

The NRLW all but guaranteed that the Roosters women’s side will have zero chance of convincing fans to turn up and get behind them. In a 3 round comp, that’s diabolically bad.
I still don't understand what the complaint is. Nobody's being prevented from going to both, there's more than enough time to go between both events if you wish.

The only way the Roosters could've been paired with their NRLW team would've been to switch the NRL Finals matches and that is a no-go because of the Swans game. It sucks, but it's how it's panned out.

kbw

Bench
while its possible to go to both and I am sure some people would be. My heart says it should be with the Roosters game because the Roosters earned a home semi in the NRL.
But my head says this could be the only opportunity for the Warrior girls to play before their NRL side.

But its TV that decides it and Penrith did not want a double header at Allianz as there are not enough change rooms, which is far enough

Timmah

Staff member
while its possible to go to both and I am sure some people would be. My heart says it should be with the Roosters game because the Roosters earned a home semi in the NRL.
But my head says this could be the only opportunity for the Warrior girls to play before their NRL side.

But its TV that decides it and Penrith did not want a double header at Allianz as there are not enough change rooms, which is far enough
Not enough change rooms (would've needed 6 to include the NRLW game), and it would've directly clashed with the AFL, causing utter bedlam in and around the precinct.

Danish

Referee
I still don't understand what the complaint is. Nobody's being prevented from going to both, there's more than enough time to go between both events if you wish.

The only way the Roosters could've been paired with their NRLW team would've been to switch the NRL Finals matches and that is a no-go because of the Swans game. It sucks, but it's how it's panned out.

The argument is quite simple.

They had 2 options when scheduling this game:

1) ask fans to commit to 3-4 hours to attend the game in its own right
2) ask fans to commit an extra 2 hours by playing the game as a curtain raiser to their men’s game

Both options have their benefits, especially given they were trying to use these opening games to drive memberships to the women’s sides with the free ticket offer.

They’ve instead selected option 3. Completely f**k any chance of 1 side’s fans attending, as their men’s side will be playing a finals game on the other side of Sydney that same day.

The ideal solution was to either play this game on Sunday instead, allowing fans of both sides to be able to attend. Or simply play it as the curtain raiser at the SFS anyway. The inconvenience of the swans game is still far less of a problem then trying to slog it across Sydney to attend both matches

Timmah

Staff member
The argument is quite simple.

They had 2 options when scheduling this game:

1) ask fans to commit to 3-4 hours to attend the game in its own right
2) ask fans to commit an extra 2 hours by playing the game as a curtain raiser to their men’s game

Both options have their benefits, especially given they were trying to use these opening games to drive memberships to the women’s sides with the free ticket offer.

They’ve instead selected option 3. Completely f**k any chance of 1 side’s fans attending, as their men’s side will be playing a finals game on the other side of Sydney that same day.

The ideal solution was to either play this game on Sunday instead, allowing fans of both sides to be able to attend. Or simply play it as the curtain raiser at the SFS anyway. The inconvenience of the swans game is still far less of a problem then trying to slog it across Sydney to attend both matches
Option 1 would've resulted in increased running costs having it as a stand alone game. Given Brisbane-Saints is already on Sunday, that would've involved it being played stupidly early (11 or 11:30am) or stupidly late (6pm or later).

Option 2 wasn't possible because there's an NRL match on and they won't run it concurrently (and nor should they).

Go, or don't.

T-Boon

Coach
If the inaugural WNRL game was being played in Newcastle with the Knights it would get 10k easily (the womens soccer team got 15k last year).
They cannot be serious about having each Sydney NRL team have a team in the WNRL. Why would you have all the Sydney teams whose fans don't even turn up to watch the men?
Pick 4 Sydney teams the rest get left out.

Danish

Referee
After the opening 20, the quality looks quite good. Solid ball movement and tactics by both sides, and the skills of all players on the field is obviously high (completely at odds to an AFLW match).

I think they should consider shrinking the field size, though. Maybe just move the try lines up to the 10m lines, making it 80m end to end. This would negate the lack of power in their long kicking games, which seems to make gaining field position a bit tricky without piggy back penalties. Similar thought process to bringing the boundaries in for women’s cricket

Danish

Referee
Option 1 would've resulted in increased running costs having it as a stand alone game. Given Brisbane-Saints is already on Sunday, that would've involved it being played stupidly early (11 or 11:30am) or stupidly late (6pm or later).

Option 2 wasn't possible because there's an NRL match on and they won't run it concurrently (and nor should they).

Go, or don't.

Go, or don’t....

That sums up the care factor of the NRL in actually getting fans out to games, I’d say

Latest posts