What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 18s name 4 Dragons

TheRev

First Grade
Can you post a link? Will be shattered if it's true.
I mean its just a comment on a facebook post, maybe its nothing, but just seemed so assured that it just happened.. but no posts I can see on Roosters page etc.

TheRev

First Grade
I agree, but sadly won't happen.

Channel 9 run the show & wouldn't allow Fox to televise it, plus Ch9 have no interest in showing it on the night. All their facilities are preparing for the main game & wouldn't want to mess around with something else. ( grand final day is different with a much longer drawn out day of events & they can slot in lower grades easily )

They dictate the Origin kickoff time ( it'll be between 8.15 & 8.20 again ). That's another point of contention - kickoff should be 7.45 at the latest so kids can watch it easily.

Back to the subject

It's different to grand final day when they show lower grades as it's not a weekday like Origin when Ch9 have their news locked in to 6. They want their pre-game show to hype up the game & just don't have time ( or the interest ) in moving away from their set schedule.
100% Agree, I just find it ridiculously selfish.. if you dont even want to show it, give it to Fox, or atleast play it late at night, the cameras are there anyway.

supermums

Juniors
I have done some research regarding Jackson going to Rooster's what I believe is the Rooster's have rolled out the carpet for him but as of last night still had not signed...
He and his mum and manager are waiting until after school boys

Father Ted

First Grade
a reality check guys, we're no chance of keeping him

I said we should make a priority signing of him over a year and half ago . I cannot believe the club is this stupid.

I mean its just a comment on a facebook post, maybe its nothing, but just seemed so assured that it just happened.. but no posts I can see on Roosters page etc.

Fair enough .

I have done some research regarding Jackson going to Rooster's what I believe is the Rooster's have rolled out the carpet for him but as of last night still had not signed...
He and his mum and manager are waiting until after school boys

I have heard the same .. Been a Jackson fan for a long time now. The SOO selectors have shown us which four kids we should be signing right now. Even Nick named him "Battle".

We should'nt worry Doust is on the case........bugger no doubt he is off to the Roosters !!

I am not and never have been a Doust fan. There are those who point to 09 and 10 I point to Bennett and those who point to all of next years signing's . I point to to a lack of planning last year and this .. I surpose it's all point of view ..There is as Bottle said a lot of unplanned things in between .. However If he sign's our four young potential stars I will write a glowing essay on him , But I think he'll f**k about and someone will get in and sign them while we twiddle the proverbial.

BennyV

Referee
I am not and never have been a Doust fan. There are those who point to 09 and 10 I point to Bennett and those who point to all of next years signing's . I point to to a lack of planning last year and this .. I surpose it's all point of view ..There is as Bottle said a lot of unplanned things in between .. However If he sign's our four young potential stars I will write a glowing essay on him , But I think he'll f**k about and someone will get in and sign them while we twiddle the proverbial.

In defence of Doust (I have been a fan of his despite everything he cops) I was of the opinion that recruitment and retention of the club wasn't his priority role, it was the responsibility of Young and whoever our junior development officer/manager is. Whether or not we signed Hastings last year could have been a number of reasons, and whether or not he re-signs with us this year may also be out of our hands - I struggle to see how the loss of a young player (especially when other clubs are looking to pay huge amounts and we CLEARLY aren't lacking in the junior talent pool) can be caused by incompetency from a CEO. Doust's role is management of a football club, and while there are some areas that we are failing (primarily on-field results) the club runs smoothly and successfully.

Father Ted

First Grade
In defence of Doust (I have been a fan of his despite everything he cops) I was of the opinion that recruitment and retention of the club wasn't his priority role, it was the responsibility of Young and whoever our junior development officer/manager is. Whether or not we signed Hastings last year could have been a number of reasons, and whether or not he re-signs with us this year may also be out of our hands - I struggle to see how the loss of a young player (especially when other clubs are looking to pay huge amounts and we CLEARLY aren't lacking in the junior talent pool) can be caused by incompetency from a CEO. Doust's role is management of a football club, and while there are some areas that we are failing (primarily on-field results) the club runs smoothly and successfully.

We aren't lacking? My many personnel interactions with the man have not been good so yes my perceptions are not favourable. However Take a look at Centre and Halfback options , also a quick squize at our coaching staff and position on the ladder.. We are clearly Lacking some bloody place . But as I said before different points of view I respect you're opinion.

BennyV

Referee
We aren't lacking? My many personnel interactions with the man have not been good so yes my perceptions are not favourable. However Take a look at Centre and Halfback options , also a quick squize at our coaching staff and position on the ladder.. We are clearly Lacking some bloody place . But as I said before different points of view I respect you're opinion.

Fair enough - I agree that our football position at the moment is lacking, but there are many other aspects of the football club where we excel...financially, sponsorship, membership, club culture, etc - despite the hit we are taking in terms of the actual team performance, these aspects are well and truly sound. Mind you, I havent had any talks with Dousty himself..

In terms of our young talent, we have plenty, as indicated by 4 Under 18 NSW selections and 2 Under 20 selections. Keep in mind Shannon Crook was in Hastings positions (i.e being selected for NSW a year early, possibly 2??) and Hutchinson/Bird are both awesome potential halves. Plus 2 of those rep players mentioned are centres. All I'm saying is that while we should definitely focus on keeping Hastings, if we lose him it's not the end of the world considering the work, effort and attitude required for the youngsters to make the leap to first grade.

Steelman

Juniors
Talented Juniors Doust has let slip through his the Stewart brothers the Sims brothers luliea brothers Craig Fitzgibbon the list goes on .

Surely the time has come for the club to lock up our next batch of talented juniors coming through starting with the 4 kid's playing for nsw 18s tonight.

If Doust allows these kid's to slip away to rival clubs there will be many people at this club who have worked hard over the past 5 year's developing our juniors who will be absolutely gutted.

Father Ted

First Grade
In terms of our young talent, we have plenty, as indicated by 4 Under 18 NSW selections and 2 Under 20 selections. Keep in mind Shannon Crook was in Hastings positions (i.e being selected for NSW a year early, possibly 2??) and Hutchinson/Bird are both awesome potential halves. Plus 2 of those rep players mentioned are centres. All I'm saying is that while we should definitely focus on keeping Hastings, if we lose him it's not the end of the world considering the work, effort and attitude required for the youngsters to make the leap to first grade.

It's nothing more than one mans opinion and many will not agree but I think Hastings will be a better half than Crook. And given how really hard getting and keeping a good first grade standard half ( which I believe Hastings will soon be ) why not move heaven and hell and keep one we already own? On losing young talent like the four currently in discussion. Is'nt it a waste in terms of time, Money and effort to lose them to other clubs? Has the Organic growth policy of Doustie changed since last season?

Who here will enjoy watching Hastings , Hutchinson, Cummins, Aitken and Bird for example beating us in other clubs colours?

On Doustie . Brilliant with the Business side of things , have to say that and is a must for Marketing manager at the club where he could be used full time to even greater effect, Not that good with the footie side of things and memberships . When has anyone ever got their season tickets on time? I just think it's time for another CEO. Again just my respectful opinion.

hermidale1

Juniors

The complicated part is the club will have a few players to try and hold onto that are coming through.
Obviously, the 4 playing tonight are in the clubs sights.
Adding to the balancing act, 3 players were moved up to train with the 20's from SG.Ball but due to their age, can't play just yet. Then there are the several players who are all competing at the Schoolboys tournament in Cairns.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
It's nothing more than one mans opinion and many will not agree but I think Hastings will be a better half than Crook. And given how really hard getting and keeping a good first grade standard half ( which I believe Hastings will soon be ) why not move heaven and hell and keep one we already own? On losing young talent like the four currently in discussion. Is'nt it a waste in terms of time, Money and effort to lose them to other clubs? Has the Organic growth policy of Doustie changed since last season?

Who here will enjoy watching Hastings , Hutchinson, Cummins, Aitken and Bird for example beating us in other clubs colours?

On Doustie . Brilliant with the Business side of things , have to say that and is a must for Marketing manager at the club where he could be used full time to even greater effect, Not that good with the footie side of things and memberships . When has anyone ever got their season tickets on time? I just think it's time for another CEO. Again just my respectful opinion.

I'm sure (I hope) the Crook/Hastings argument will be one that everyone will delight in for years to come...I think they are very different players and a 6/7 combo of Hastings/Crook would be dynamite given their strengths, however they both have a long way to go before bursting into first grade...I don't want to lose any of our youngsters, but if we lose Hastings and keep Bird, Hutchinson and Aitken, I'm not going to go losing any sleep over it.

Fair comments on Doust, perhaps he does need that extra hand for the football side of things (a Director of Football or something perhaps?)...but I take the good he does with the bad

Rex Terp

First Grade
Maybe Hastings won't stay regardless of what the Dragons do. Sometimes that happens and it's not a question of fault.

What's important is that we keep the players who can stay and actually there is a good argument to say we should focus on retaining the other kids if Jackson is going.

64 Dragon

Coach
Exactly, Rex. You can't make a kid sign with us if he doesn't want to. Hastings has probably got someone from every other club in his and his manager's/mum's/mates' collective ear about money, fame etc.

If he goes or stays good luck to him.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Maybe Hastings won't stay regardless of what the Dragons do. Sometimes that happens and it's not a question of fault.

What's important is that we keep the players who can stay and actually there is a good argument to say we should focus on retaining the other kids if Jackson is going.

agree

need some luck with retaining the right ones who will be successful with the Dragons in the NRL. Some players will succeed with any team under any coach, but it's all about getting the right mix of players who can be successful & have their skills optimised by a certain coach.

hermidale1

Juniors
I would love to see Jackson hastings stay, and I'm sure alot of people on here and not on here would love to see that as well. But as Rex stated, if he moves on, it's not the clubs fault. At the end of the day, a kid like him needs to think what is best for him as a player and financially. If he goes well at the schoolboys tournament in 2 weeks, and I have no doubt he will, he'll have just about every club after him. From what's been said in the media, he already has a few. But everyone must remember, it's his decision in the end. The one thing we hope is that he is happy at the Dragons. He is definately a talented kid. It would be nice to see him stay with the Dragons and develop further.

Father Ted

First Grade
Hastings two tries and six goals .. but who cares if he stays right..56 to 6 we have four gems we need to sign ASAP.

Last edited: