What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW cup side

Rolla

Juniors
So has the idea of Pete Mata'utia becoming the ball playing centre inside Aku totally faded out now? i notice he is on the wing, I'm guessing that the coaches see that as his position? In that case how is Likiliki going? does he have 'passing' in his game? and does this mean Mate is meant to be a better centre prospect than Pete?

billy2

Juniors
So has the idea of Pete Mata'utia becoming the ball playing centre inside Aku totally faded out now? i notice he is on the wing, I'm guessing that the coaches see that as his position? In that case how is Likiliki going? does he have 'passing' in his game? and does this mean Mate is meant to be a better centre prospect than Pete?
It's a shame that all four Mata'utia brothers seem to get type cast as wingers more often than not. All of them like to model their games on Kurt Gidley and like to think they could play ball playing roles from fullback, if not play more central roles. I've seen Pete fill in as 5/8 and hooker in NSW cup, and at under 18s level he was a regular 5/8 and captain, and pretty much the 'go to' guy of the team in tough situations. Similarly, last year when the Ball side was in trouble Pat Mata'utia would come up from fullback to do some inspirational runs at first reciever, where he'd punch holes in the defence with his powerful runs.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I'm convinced Pete and Likiliki > Sau. Throw in Fillipo as well...

I don't even know how Pete and Likiliki are going, but I know that Sau has shown zero ability and remains to be an average NRL centre.

stimpy

Juniors
likiliki and filipo are topping the missed tackle stats so far for the nsw cup side. Filipo is a strong runner but not really a ball player. Im my opinion he should be used as a hitup and run over the top of a tired defender type player, rather than hanging out in the centres like a frank pritchard or steve menzies type player.
On the weekend against manly it was the defensive combination of matautai, stig and fillipo that were getting caught out by the manly backs.

billy2

Juniors
For those wth foxtel, this will be broadcast on wednesday as the NSW cup game of the round.
Not sure if nsw cup games get netcast on bigpond sport - be good if it is.

billy2

Juniors
Also - for those looking to do something tomorrow - Mathews and Ball play their last home games of the season before the NSW cup game at Cessnock tomorrow.
Mathews can finish top 4 with a 7-2 record if they win. They have future stars Sione Mata'utia and Tevita Pangai back, and the kids have been improving every week, despite a horror injury and suspension toll.

Ball are gone for the year and will probably lose to give them a 3-6 record for the year.

Out of form Knights play out of form Cronulla in NSW cup. Robbie Rochow and maybe Albert Kelly get to play last year's team mates.

Footin mouth

Juniors
For those wth foxtel, this will be broadcast on wednesday as the NSW cup game of the round.
Not sure if nsw cup games get netcast on bigpond sport - be good if it is.

Billy, I think the game is shown around 4.30pm on Wednesday, do you know if there is a replay of the game at a later time slot.

billy2

Juniors
Good game - worth a watch.

Stig didn't play - I suspect Wayne used both young halves in training and will make up his mind today.

Kev - beautiful game - his last try was a gem.
Mantellato - did some quality work and kicked 7 from 7.
Likiliki - not his best game but had a few good runs
Filipo - moved to centres and looked good.
Mate - best game i've seen from him
Pete - 5/8 and had a quality first half - bit quiet in the second, but his wrap around try with Kev at the end of the game was brilliant, and his flick on to Kev in the first half would have been brilliant too, if it had actually gone to Kev.
Davis - MOTM probably - funny moment where he showed why he was dropped a few years ago - made a 50 metre break and dropped the ball cold in the tackle - and got up swinging punches just because he was pissed off. Classic Davis.
Kyle O'Donnell - best game at prop - he really is growing into the spot - still has poor hands though.
Mitch Williams - his best game yet - busy and quality dummy half work - bit too much going himself though.
Ervan - one great offload - lots of good hit ups.
Cookie - classic pass where he had likiliki running with him and all the defence came in and he threw a perfect 15 metre bullit cut out pass to hit unmarked Manatello on the chest
Mason - played 80 minutes and had a few good runs, but needs to get much more involved
Rochow - only played about 60 minutes - looked really good in his second stint.

Schillings - one of his better games
Boss - 10 metres straight and hard every time
Anderson - has bulked up a lot and looks good
Phillips - waste of space.

Footin mouth

Juniors
Good game - worth a watch.

Stig didn't play - I suspect Wayne used both young halves in training and will make up his mind today.

Kev - beautiful game - his last try was a gem.
Mantellato - did some quality work and kicked 7 from 7.
Likiliki - not his best game but had a few good runs
Filipo - moved to centres and looked good.
Mate - best game i've seen from him
Pete - 5/8 and had a quality first half - bit quiet in the second, but his wrap around try with Kev at the end of the game was brilliant, and his flick on to Kev in the first half would have been brilliant too, if it had actually gone to Kev.
Davis - MOTM probably - funny moment where he showed why he was dropped a few years ago - made a 50 metre break and dropped the ball cold in the tackle - and got up swinging punches just because he was pissed off. Classic Davis.
Kyle O'Donnell - best game at prop - he really is growing into the spot - still has poor hands though.
Mitch Williams - his best game yet - busy and quality dummy half work - bit too much going himself though.
Ervan - one great offload - lots of good hit ups.
Cookie - classic pass where he had likiliki running with him and all the defence came in and he threw a perfect 15 metre bullit cut out pass to hit unmarked Manatello on the chest
Mason - played 80 minutes and had a few good runs, but needs to get much more involved
Rochow - only played about 60 minutes - looked really good in his second stint.

Schillings - one of his better games
Boss - 10 metres straight and hard every time
Anderson - has bulked up a lot and looks good
Phillips - waste of space.

Once again Billy good summary of the game. Davis was my MOTM he had a great game. The team went forward with him in the side. Mantellato's third goal was a cracker, it looked like missing but then it curved back in. He had the last laugh though, a Cronulla supporter from the other side of the ground yelled lolly legs which brought huge laughter from the grandstand and hugh applause when the goal went it - it was great.

stimpy

Juniors
yeah i saw the game as well and was good to see the backline in operation with some room to move. Naqaima was sharp and looked good. I think pete matautai needs more match fitness as he did look a little slow at times but to be expected having just come back. Was great to see the winger Mate get the ball in space and then draw the fullback and pass infield to an unmarked man instead of trying to beat him. Ive been critical of pple not passing in previous posts and great to see the winger pass it. I think sau could watch and learn from this.
Only negative was that the defence was very weak up the midle at times and the goal line defence was very soft at times leading to very soft cronulla tries.

So lots of work to do and improvement needed but good to get the win and some good signs.

billy2

Juniors
NSW Cup
1.Kevin Naiqama
2. Josh Mantellato
3. Peter Mata’utia
4. Siuatonga Likiliki
5. Michael Mate
6. Ryan Stig
7. Adrian Davis
8. Robbie Rochow
9.Mitch Williams
10. Kyle O’Donnell
11. Rodney Mason
12. Marvin Filipo
13. Ethan Cook
Interchange:
15. Albert Kelly
16. Warren Schillings
17. Shaun Boss
18. Sam Anderson

Ervan gets promoted and Albert Kelly gets his first run, which probably means the end for Scotty Briggs - shame, he is in career best form.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I like the look of Pete in the centres given how well he used to set up his outside men when he played FB. Im hoping this will be a permanent move for him as it is the only position he will get a genuine shot at FG in.

Kelly is a former FG player. No surprises he is in the side so quick

billy2

Juniors
The absurd situation for Rip is that AJ is on fire and Kelly is a real talent with experience - so they would probably be the halves he would like to go with, but contracts say he must start Roberts ad Stig next week if Kids comes back to firstgrade.

Yosh

Coach
What contracts?

So Kelly was bought here to play... Maybe we'll see him in fg this year!

RABK

Referee
I could see Kelly been called up to first grade during Origin with Boyd, Aku, Bedsy and Gidley all near certainties to be out and Mullen and McManus chances too.

Pete, Kelly, Stig, Roberts, Naiqama brothers are a pretty handy B backline.

aqua_duck

Coach
If we can get Albert Kelly committed and his head right then he'd be a very shrewd signing. The kid has massive attitude and commitment issues but has alot of potential and only just turn 21 a few weeks ago

RABK

Referee
He is a lot smaller than i thought -177cm 82kg. I thought he was like 184cm and 87kg David Peachey kind of build.

Latest posts