What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW cup trialists/ Nelson's Bay trial

billy2

Juniors
We finally get a look at the squad Rip Taylor has been working with.

Two teams have been named for the Nelson's Bay trial - none of the top 25 were considered. First team is largely players we know about.

Kev Naiqama
Watisoni Votu - exciting ex captain of Fiji Union 7s (one of the most exciting Rugby teams in the world)
Marvin Fillipo
Tonga Likiliki
Chanel Mata'utia
Will Smith
Tyrone Roberts
Rob Mason
Chris Adams
Korbin Sims
Alex McKinnon
Kyle O'Donnell
Zane Tetevano

Chad Redman
Ethan Cook
Sam Anderson
Daine Laurie
Mark Wade
Simione Sawene

2nd side

Josh Mantellato - Wyong and country rep player - helped Italy qualify for the WC in the off season
Jason MacKenzie
Michael Mate - PNG current International
Jared Edwards - former NYC player - son of one of the original Knights
Dan Phillips - former NYC player and Aus schoolboy
Scotty Briggs
AJ Davis
Shaun Boss
Mitch Williams
Adam Withyman
Chris Marlborough
Ben Tupou
Simon Allen

Jake Hawkins
James Coote
Tommy Lidden
Mick O'Shea

Frederick

Staff member
Looking forward to hearing how wade, McKinnon and Laurie go.

Are you going to the game bill?

billy2

Juniors
solid looking team. a few familiar faces turning out for the Bay.
those are both Knights sides.

No word yet on the Newcastle rep sides who will oppose them.

The NYC team will play the Bay in the early game.

I'll be going.

Keen to see how Ben Tupou goes after about 3 years off. With fitness freak brothers like Anthony and Jon he should have no trouble being fit, and as the biggest of the Tupou brothers I always thought he had the most potential. He had some off field dramas, but that was years ago.

Same with Jared Edwards. He was one of the most gifted juniors we had till he suddenly gave the game away about 3 years ago. Last I heard he was playing for Wangi wangi and not training.

billy2

Juniors
probably the most interesting thing is that Naqama, Likiliki, Roberts, Fillipo, Tetevano, Laurie and O'Donnell are not in our top 25, while presumably Schillings and Rochow are.

Last edited:

billy2

Juniors
One interesting player i've heard will be in the Newcastle rep side is a French fullback/wing/centre named Rachid Ahlalou who has been sent by Trent Robinson to Cessnock for the season presumably to gain experience in League.
He is 21 and was signed by Catalans from Toulon union side in 2011.
I hope Rip Taylor can coach Union converts - he looks like getting two good Fijians, Mark Wade and possibly a Frenchman with big wraps.

Adsy

Juniors
That first side looks a lot better than most NSW cup sides we've fielded over the past couple of seasons.

So if the top 25 are ineligible for this game can someone work out the T25 squad?

rnb11

Juniors
Boyd
Buderus
Costigan
Cuthbertson
Edwards
Faas
Gidley
Hilder
Mullen
McManus
Wes
Sau
Snowden
Stig
Tahu
Taia
Tui
Uate
Houston
Pete
Schillings
Rochow
Will Smith?

Don't think theres anyone left and thats only 23

Last edited:

Stick

Juniors
I know Mullen has been ordinary of late but leaving him out of the top 25 is a little harsh

RHCP

Bench
Very excited to see how all of these guys go, especially Wade and Votu.

We could end up having an all-Fijian three quarter line playing by the end of the season if Kev and Watisoni fire.

Where does Sawene play billy?

billy2

Juniors
Very excited to see how all of these guys go, especially Wade and Votu.

We could end up having an all-Fijian three quarter line playing by the end of the season if Kev and Watisoni fire.

Where does Sawene play billy?
Played number 8 for junior Fiji Union side against Australia. (I don't know what position that translates as.)

otori

Juniors
Played number 8 for junior Fiji Union side against Australia. (I don't know what position that translates as.)

It's roughly the role of a hard headed, straight running lock with some ball playing ability a la Ben Kennedy.

billy2

Juniors
w
<H1>Alex McKinnon homes in on first grade
BY BRETT KEEBLE
01 Feb, 2012 04:00 AM
HE will always be grateful to the Dragons for giving him his first shot at the NRL.
But as a kid from the heart of the Hunter Valley, Alex McKinnon feels at home at the Knights.
The 19-year-old Aberdeen Tigers junior spent five years at St George Illawarra but jumped at the chance to follow former flatmate Darius Boyd and coach Wayne Bennett to Newcastle.
McKinnon, who is in the first year of a three-year contract with the Knights, will make his debut in the red and blue in a lower-grade trial against the Newcastle Rugby League representative squad at Tomaree on Friday night.
The Junior Kangaroos representative will start in the second row in a pack including his housemate, Korbin Sims, and hopes to play well enough to be included in the NRL squad for trials against Penrith and Cronulla this month.
The Knights play the Panthers at Port Macquarie on February 11 then the Sharks at Muswellbrook, a 15-minute drive down the New England Highway from his home town, on February 18.
Most of McKinnon&#8217;s family still live in Aberdeen or Scone, so in his spare time he catches up with them and his many childhood friends who have moved to Newcastle to work.
&#8216;&#8216;I&#8217;m a lot happier boy now that I&#8217;m back in Newcastle,&#8217;&#8217; said McKinnon, who played three NRL games for the Dragons last year, including a 14-10 loss to the Knights in Wollongong in July.
&#8216;&#8216;All my family are around, and all my mates from when I was younger all live around Newcastle ... so I can get away from football a bit more, and life outside of football is a lot better.&#8217;&#8217;
Knowing that Bennett and high-performance manager Jeremy Hickmans would implement the same conditioning and training programs he was accustomed to at the Dragons was one of the factors behind his decision to join them at the Knights.
&#8216;&#8216;Training has been pretty tough, but it&#8217;s been good,&#8217;&#8217; he said. &#8216;&#8216;I knew what to expect, what we had to do, and that&#8217;s what Jeremy spoke to me about before we came up, that most of what we&#8217;d do at training would be the same.&#8217;&#8217;
McKinnon has added about six kilograms of muscle to his 190-centimetre frame, and though his first taste of the NRL was as a centre, he is bulking up in preparation for a career in the back row.
&#8216;&#8216;I&#8217;m about 103, 104 kilos now. That&#8217;s one of the main things Jeremy wanted me to do, was to put on some weight,&#8217;&#8217; he said.
&#8216;&#8216;It seriously doesn&#8217;t worry me but I usually played in the back row when I was younger, then mostly lock last year, and in the centres in first grade.
&#8216;&#8216;But I&#8217;ve been training mostly in the second row.&#8217;&#8217;
McKinnon plans to make the most of his time in the middle on Friday night and do likewise in upcoming trials, but he is under no illusion about how tough it will be to crack a regular spot in the NRL squad this year.
&#8216;&#8216;I&#8217;m still only 19, so getting a run this week, I see that as a good thing,&#8217;&#8217; he said.
&#8216;&#8216;With trials, you&#8217;ve just got to play well and put your best foot forward so then it&#8217;s up to the coaching staff to make a decision, and you&#8217;re not closing the door on yourself.
&#8216;&#8216;I know a lot of people at the Knights haven&#8217;t really seen me play much, and I don&#8217;t know how long I&#8217;ll be playing, whether it&#8217;s 20 or 30 minutes, so however long it is, I&#8217;ll put my best foot forward. There&#8217;s 35 of us training at the moment and everyone in the squad wants to play first grade.
&#8216;&#8216;I just want to play good in the trials and if I play good footy, and they need someone like me in the team or think that I&#8217;ll suit the team, then hopefully I&#8217;ll get a run ... &#8216;&#8216;One thing I&#8217;ve said to myself is I&#8217;ve got to stay focused ... I&#8217;ve got a goal to play first grade in the future, but if that comes now, then I&#8217;ll be real happy with that.&#8217;&#8217;
</H1>http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...es-in-on-first-grade/2439432.aspx?storypage=0

billy2

Juniors
McKinnon seems to have made big gains in the off season, and so does Sims I think.

If the NYC squad has had a good off season with their new coach I can see us having a really good pack. Hard workers like Steele, Roose, Alchin, the two Clarke's and Sims and impact forwards like Ma'a, Savin, Rod Mason and McKinnon will see us with the best pack in the comp - let alone three great hookers in Redman, Knight and Clydesdale.

Footin mouth

Juniors
McKinnon seems to have made big gains in the off season, and so does Sims I think.

If the NYC squad has had a good off season with their new coach I can see us having a really good pack. Hard workers like Steele, Roose, Alchin, the two Clarke's and Sims and impact forwards like Ma'a, Savin, Rod Mason and McKinnon will see us with the best pack in the comp - let alone three great hookers in Redman, Knight and Clydesdale.

They are some good players in the part time team that I'll bet will not get picked for the Knights NSW Cup side, it seems that the Knights are too preoccupied with Rugby players.

aqua_duck

Coach
They are some good players in the part time team that I'll bet will not get picked for the Knights NSW Cup side, it seems that the Knights are too preoccupied with Rugby players.

The thing is we've signed 3 rugby players who could be useless or surprise everyone and make 1st grade. I'm not abig fan of solid toilers in NSW cup, I'd rather see prospects with high ceiling.

Latest posts