What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup

TommyGun

Juniors
Was wondering what raiders fans think of Canberra's allegiance with Mounties in the NSW Cup?

aussies1st

Staff member
Given it's another alliance rather than our own 2nd grade team I too don't like it. I liked our relationship with Souths Logan and quite clearly that comp is a better standard.

Scarves

Juniors
The more nrl teams that have representation in the NSW Cup the better the standard will get. The bonus of having the feeder club in Qld is the direct access to the junior development in the region. It helped Manly with Daly Cherry Evans nd helped Melbourne with Cronk and Smith.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Mounties and the NSW Cup can go mount Geoff Carr's wrinkly old fkn ass for all I care.

I'll still be supporting Souths Logan.

TommyGun

Juniors
Im in the parramatta area, so its great for me. More games to watch and more opportunities for parra juniors to make it to the top level.
Do you guys think that playing your juniors/reserve grade players in sydney makes them more vulnerable to being poached by sydney clubs? Or do you think that maybe it would allow you to sign some juniors that slip through parra's grasp? I know personally that since the announcement of this venture alot of juniors and even bundy cup/nsw cup players have shown interest in playing at Mounties due to the opportunity to possibly play at a higher level

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://fairfield-advance.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/raiders-deal-puts-mounties-on-track/

Raiders deal puts Mounties on track

Rugby League

9 Dec 11 @ 07:54am by Brian Karlovsky

MOUNTIES juniors will now have a clear path to the National Rugby League competition after the club signed a deal with the Canberra Raiders to field a NSW Cup side next year.

Mounties currently field a team in the NSWRL’s second-tier competition, the Bundaberg Red Cup, but with the assistance of the Raiders will be promoted to the NSW Cup.

Players not required in Canberra’s match-day NRL squad will be filtered back to Mounties.

NSW Cup coach Steve Ghosn said it would provide a great opportunity for local players to rise up the professional ranks.

“It sets the foundation and it gives the young blokes a chance to play NRL,” he said.

“Now they can move up the ranks from Bundy Cup to NSW Cup to the NRL.

“There are quite a few players from Mt Pritchard that have gone on to play in the NRL, so hopefully this will help that trend to continue.”

There will be no limit on the number of players the Raiders are required to field on a weekly basis.

Mounties will play their first NSW Cup match against Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at Belmore Oval on March 3.

The 2012 season will be a 26-round competition and will feature 13 NRL teams.

NSWRL general manager Geoff Carr said the competition looked set to enhance its position in Australia.

“Around 500,000 viewers tuned in to watch a thrilling grand final between Canterbury-Bankstown and Auckland last year at ANZ Stadium,” he said.

“There is an ever expanding appetite for quality rugby league at suburban venues.”

Cryptic

Juniors
Still not happy we were basically black mailed into having a NSW Cup team... If the NSW RL wants to give us some actual incentives sure, but threatening to disallow all our juniors from the comp unless we have a "reserve grade" side in the NSW Cup was just pathetic...

Timbo

Staff member
I don't like the circumstances through which it occured. But I'm not fussed either way. The NSW Cup will be - with the addition of Saints, Canberra and Manly - up there in quality with the Qld Cup. We won't suffer too badly.