What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Preliminary Origin Squad Named

Big Mick

Referee
borat said:
Special K said:
What a joke Ben Creagh got in over players like Paul Gallen and Morrison...

Can Gallen or Morrison play in the centres or wing?

Special K credibility :arrow: window

If Creagh has been picked for that purpose does that mean that Craig Wing will not play because that is his purpose, to be the impact utility player.

StGeorge

Juniors
theicemandanno said:
Watch Queensland's odds shorten after seeing this lot of tripe. Who is the pack enforcer for this team? Webb, Webcke, Thorn are going to have a field day.

Gonna be a Maroonwash this year, 3-0.

Deadset, 6 panthers? That is ridiculous.

dude webcke aint playin

PARRA_FAN

Coach
:?

Surely thats a gee up. I mean if they were considering on picking Johns, how would Kimmorely feel, who's been in good form and enough to earn the number 7 jumper for NSW.

_Johnsy

Referee
Anthony Minichiello (Sydney Roosters)
Matt King (Melbourne Storm)
Matt Cooper (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Mark Gasnier (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Luke Rooney (Penrith Panthers)
Trent Barrett (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Brett Kimmorley (Sharks)
Luke Bailey (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Danny Buderus (Newcastle Knights)
Jason Ryles (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Craig Fitzgibbon (Sydney Roosters)
Brent Kite (Manly Sea Eagles)
Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta Eels)
Scott Hill (Melbourne Storm)

Interchange
Anthony Watmough (Manly Sea Eagles)
Braith Anasta (Bulldogs)
Joel Clinton (Penrith Panthers)
Craig Gower (Penrith Panthers)

Hurriflatch

Referee
I'm actually hoping Queensland kill NSW in the 1st Origin to teach the selectors a lesson to pick players on form and not on repuation or the fact they play for the same club as the coaches (Stuart - Roosters) and selectors (Daley - Dragons).

jc155776

Coach
No Fitler?? He must be the bolter.

Forward pack looks, well, boring. And the bench has no real impact players. QLD is gonna have Bowen and Webb and Ross coming off the bench while we have Wing and some overpriced hacks from overrated teams.

That said im happy only one sharks player got in, will make life esy picking up points midseason to secure a home final with no injury risks really....

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Im so sick of selectors picking most of the players from Roosters and Dragons, I thought when Gould left we'd get over this BS about players being picked on last year's form.

Big Mick

Referee
theicemandanno said:
Deadset, 6 panthers? That is ridiculous.

Rooney and Waterhouse only ones that might play.

Rooney for sure. I don't think Waterhouse, CLinton, Lewis, Priddis or Gower will play in the 17.

borat

Bench
Big Mick said:
borat said:
Special K said:
What a joke Ben Creagh got in over players like Paul Gallen and Morrison...

Can Gallen or Morrison play in the centres or wing?

Special K credibility :arrow: window

If Creagh has been picked for that purpose does that mean that Craig Wing will not play because that is his purpose, to be the impact utility player.

I don't think even the staunchest Saints supporter would beleive Creagh will get a game in SOO this year. There will be a bench spot for a player who can play both in the forwards and backs and that person will be Watmough. Creagh is just a back up.

The only person in the comp who could feel unlucky I would think is Phil Bailey who can play that role, don't know what his form is like though.

It would not surprise me at all that if Buderus gets his fitness levels up that Wing misses out altogether because IMO he has been very ordinary in both Club level and the Anzac test.

borat

Bench
PARRA_FAN said:
Im so sick of selectors picking most of the players from Roosters and Dragons, I thought when Gould left we'd get over this BS about players being picked on last year's form.

Because those players make up a winning team. I guess your sick of NSW winning the SOO series also. :roll: :roll:

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Ben Creagh is an ok player but his selection (esp if it carries over to the actual 17) is about as ridiculous as Brent Kite's last year. Now Kite didn't disgrace himself in the 3 games last year but he hardly made an impact and I still can't figure out what the NSW staff see in him (then again I'm not the one coaching or selecting NSW so clearly my opinion is far less useful).

But honestly if they can't find at least 10 better options than Ben Creagh for NSW I'd be questioning whether this is the most even comp in history as the media incessantly proclaims.

Of those that missed out - tell me the following players couldn't offer more than Creagh (I have NOTHING against the kid but he's no Origin player at this point in his career).

I've listed backrowers mainly although some can play prop and some centre

Phil Bailey
Paul Gallen
Steve Simpson
Jason Croker
Ryan Hoffman
Adam Woolnough
Glenn Morrison
Mark Riddell
Bryan Fletcher
Lance Thompson
Dean Young
Anthony Laffranchi

Again let me stress this is not a Ben Creagh bash-a-thon but it is pretty amazing to think he can beat out the players above EVEN considering the talent that was picked in the 30 man squad. In 2003 they named Jason King as an emerging player but in my opinion he hadn't earned that at the time, and although injuries are a factor he hasn't reached that level of form since - was it right to put that juicy carrot out there when in all likelihood (and eventuality) he was not going to be picked in that series?

I realise this is just letting off a bit of steam and won't make a speck of difference but felt I had to say something more so on behalf (whether its my place or not) of the players that missed out again.

As for the squad Watmough, Menzies, King, Tupou and O'Donnell really earned this recognition, while Kite, Lewis, Clinton and Creagh are doing well to make it based on this year's form. Nothing against them but they just don't stack up against the other players picked or the case of some players not picked.

One final point however, in Origin 3 last year Phil Gould picked the side HE wanted (heck we won the decider so can you fault the man?), it would be interesting to see how much of this squad is purely Ricky Stuart's feelings - I know he listed Ben Creagh in a pre-season publication about players to watch so his selection in the City-Country and this squad aren't a total surprise.

The proof is in the result pudding, and I am behind Stuart as NSW coach but like anyone who watches league - you're entitled to your opinion.

TigerMo

Juniors
borat said:
simon says said:
Embarrassed that Hornby is in and not Hodgo.

Don't be embarrased. Hornby is just a better player :D

It doesn't matter who is better out of the 2, Hornby plays for St.George so that gives him an automatic selection over Hodgson.

borat

Bench
Prodigiousman said:
Ben Creagh is an ok player but his selection (esp if it carries over to the actual 17) is about as ridiculous as Brent Kite's last year. Now Kite didn't disgrace himself in the 3 games last year but he hardly made an impact and I still can't figure out what the NSW staff see in him (then again I'm not the one coaching or selecting NSW so clearly my opinion is far less useful).

But honestly if they can't find at least 10 better options than Ben Creagh for NSW I'd be questioning whether this is the most even comp in history as the media incessantly proclaims.

Of those that missed out - tell me the following players couldn't offer more than Creagh (I have NOTHING against the kid but he's no Origin player at this point in his career).

I've listed backrowers mainly although some can play prop and some centre

Phil Bailey
Paul Gallen
Steve Simpson
Jason Croker
Ryan Hoffman
Adam Woolnough
Glenn Morrison
Mark Riddell
Bryan Fletcher
Lance Thompson
Dean Young
Anthony Laffranchi

Again let me stress this is not a Ben Creagh bash-a-thon but it is pretty amazing to think he can beat out the players above EVEN considering the talent that was picked in the 30 man squad. In 2003 they named Jason King as an emerging player but in my opinion he hadn't earned that at the time, and although injuries are a factor he hasn't reached that level of form since - was it right to put that juicy carrot out there when in all likelihood (and eventuality) he was not going to be picked in that series?

I realise this is just letting off a bit of steam and won't make a speck of difference but felt I had to say something more so on behalf (whether its my place or not) of the players that missed out again.

As for the squad Watmough, Menzies, King, Tupou and O'Donnell really earned this recognition, while Kite, Lewis, Clinton and Creagh are doing well to make it based on this year's form. Nothing against them but they just don't stack up against the other players picked or the case of some players not picked.

One final point however, in Origin 3 last year Phil Gould picked the side HE wanted (heck we won the decider so can you fault the man?), it would be interesting to see how much of this squad is purely Ricky Stuart's feelings - I know he listed Ben Creagh in a pre-season publication about players to watch so his selection in the City-Country and this squad aren't a total surprise.

The proof is in the result pudding, and I am behind Stuart as NSW coach but like anyone who watches league - you're entitled to your opinion.

He is a utility player and Phil Bailey and Jason Croker are the only 2 on that list who can play the same role of which it is arguable either way as to whose form is better. Creagh I can tell you has peeked at the right time and his form over the last 4 weeks has been outstanding.

Still would be highly unlikely to see any game time in SOO.

Jamesy

Juniors
_Johnsy said:
1. Anthony Minichiello (Sydney Roosters)
2. Matt King (Melbourne Storm)
3. Matt Cooper (St George Illawarra Dragons)
4. Mark Gasnier (St George Illawarra Dragons)
5. Luke Rooney (Penrith Panthers)
6. Trent Barrett (St George Illawarra Dragons)
7. Brett Kimmorley (Sharks)
8. Luke Bailey (St George Illawarra Dragons)
9. Danny Buderus (Newcastle Knights)
10. Jason Ryles (St George Illawarra Dragons)
11. Craig Fitzgibbon (Sydney Roosters)
12. Brent Kite (Manly Sea Eagles)
13. Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta Eels)
14. Scott Hill (Melbourne Storm)

Interchange
Braith Anasta (Bulldogs)

You've named 14 players in the starting line-up.

Also, Anasta won't play, neither will Gower. Clinton will be pushing it and Watmough should be there for sure. In regards to Scott Hill, i doubt very much he'll be in the side.

1. Minichello
2. King
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Rooney
6. Barrett
7. Kimmorley
8. Bailey
9. Buderus
10. Ryles
11. Hindmarsh
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Kennedy

14. Watmough
15. Waterhouse
16. Wing
17. ??????

mickdo

Coach
_Johnsy said:
Anthony Minichiello (Sydney Roosters)
Matt King (Melbourne Storm)
Matt Cooper (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Mark Gasnier (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Luke Rooney (Penrith Panthers)
Trent Barrett (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Brett Kimmorley (Sharks)
Luke Bailey (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Danny Buderus (Newcastle Knights)
Jason Ryles (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Craig Fitzgibbon (Sydney Roosters)
Brent Kite (Manly Sea Eagles)
Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta Eels)
Scott Hill (Melbourne Storm)

Interchange
Braith Anasta (Bulldogs)
I can guarantee you that there is a 0% chance of that being the team, although they definitely wouldn't lose!

You have 7 in your pack :lol: :lol: :lol:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
borat said:
PARRA_FAN said:

Because those players make up a winning team. I guess your sick of NSW winning the SOO series also. :roll: :roll:

How would those players picked win us the Origin.

Where are the Dragons on the table?

Its obviously based on reputation.

borat

Bench
Jamesy said:
1. Minichello
2. King
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Rooney
6. Barrett
7. Kimmorley
8. Bailey
9. Buderus
10. Ryles
11. Hindmarsh
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Kennedy

14. Watmough
15. Waterhouse
16. Wing
17. ??????

Thats the starting side I would pick also. The bench I think is where the debate comes in

Clinton, Kite and Waterhouse to take 2 positions. Won't be surprised if Waterhouse doesn't make it.

I would not have wing in the team as his form has been terrible but as Stuart is the coach he will probably be there.