What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

Spot On

Coach
Well, I think that match v NZ will do Cordner the world of good and will benefit NSW a lot. He obviously had a horror first half but I was impressed with most of what he did in the 2nd 40 mins. He could have gone into his shell but he didn't. Very glad Sheens gave him all that game time. Can only benefit us in origin.

Spot On

Coach
Agree - cordner possibly bench. Bird, Watmough and Gallen have to be in the backrow if we are to win, no question those 3 need to start.

I'd start with Bird, Cordner and Merrin in backrow and Gallen at prop but I don't want him playing ridiculously long minutes. Surely we have

Tayjack

Juniors
I'd start with Bird, Cordner and Merrin in backrow and Gallen at prop but I don't want him playing ridiculously long minutes. Surely we have

Mate you can't have merrin and cordner starting in the backrow, it just won't work, you need Gallen, bird and Watmough for clear reasons and they are that the first 20 minutes they are the only blokes that won't take any shit, they will mix it up, they will hit hard and they will eye gouge, bite, grab nuts- and that's what origin is. Those 3 are a must or we won't get close.

Spot On

Coach
We'll see soon enough. Watmough has been continually disappointing at Origin level. Has had a couple strong games but really nowhere near his club form. Gallen is better suited to prop for us. We've got the backrow covered but I'm not as confident with our prop rotation.

Last edited:

Dutchy

Immortal
We'll see soon enough. Watmough has been continually disappointing at Origin level. Has had a couple strong games but really nowhere near his club form. Gallen is better suited to prop for us. We've got the backrow covered but I'm not as confident with our prop rotation.

Are you f**king brain dead?

Watmough is always one of our better forwards.

What the f**k have you been smoking!?!?!?!

Spot On

Coach
I'd like Watmough to carry the club form he's shown in previous seasons into origin. Overall, he's nowhere near as damaging for NSW as he has been for Manly. You blokes believe he lifts to a higher level when playing for NSW??? I remember one game where he went berzerk and possibly won MOM for NSW. He was truly awesome that night. Just don't get that enough from him.

I would have thought Gallen, Bird, Lewis and Farah were always our better forwards.

I didn't say he shouldn't be chosen just that his form is disappointing compared to what you see him do to week in week out for Manly when he is fit. He destroys them in both attack and defence. A few of those Manly forwards are the same. Take em out into a different team (rep) and they're nowhere near as effective. Together as a pack they are awesome.

Happy to disagree with you.

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
He usually cracks 100m and posts >25 tackles a game. Few tackles breaks, been one of our best. But each to their own

Spot On

Coach
I don't have his stats but I'd like to think he'd be making a lot of tackles Timka. As would the other forwards.

Let's not get carried away here boys, don't need to defend his selection. He should be there. The question is - does he lift to a different level for NSW each time he plays??? If you've watched Greg Bird you'll know what I mean. That bloke is always one of our best. Every game. Every year.

Last night V NZ the same. He was simply awesome.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Mate you can't have merrin and cordner starting in the backrow, it just won't work, you need Gallen, bird and Watmough for clear reasons and they are that the first 20 minutes they are the only blokes that won't take any shit, they will mix it up, they will hit hard and they will eye gouge, bite, grab nuts- and that's what origin is. Those 3 are a must or we won't get close.

You can't have Gallen and Watmough starting in the backrow, they both play the same spot.

We need the right attacking backrower, Cordner seems to have a lock on that spot.

If Gallen goes to prop, then logically Watmough could start in the backrow, however I think Watmough is better coming on after 20 minutes to maximize the effectiveness of his footwork through the middle of the field.

Joker's Wild

Coach

Bird plays left so who out of Gal and Redemshun plays right? They both play in the middle for their clubs

Dutchy

Immortal
Choc's played right edge for NSW and Australia.

He made his career as an edge forward (left) Only been the past 2-3 he's moved centre, firstly to accommodate She-Rex, now Horo.

I'd like Watmough to carry the club form he's shown in previous seasons into origin. Overall, he's nowhere near as damaging for NSW as he has been for Manly. You blokes believe he lifts to a higher level when playing for NSW??? I remember one game where he went berzerk and possibly won MOM for NSW. He was truly awesome that night. Just don't get that enough from him.

I would have thought Gallen, Bird, Lewis and Farah were always our better forwards.

I didn't say he shouldn't be chosen just that his form is disappointing compared to what you see him do to week in week out for Manly when he is fit. He destroys them in both attack and defence. A few of those Manly forwards are the same. Take em out into a different team (rep) and they're nowhere near as effective. Together as a pack they are awesome.

Happy to disagree with you.

Dude go onto YouTube and search state of origin game 3 2013. If you've watched the last state of origin game, you'd realize that as soon as he came on he changed the whole game. He doesn't pull his game up like Greg Bird does, but that's because he plays quite well for his club. Bird based on club form probably shouldn't be there.

timka4

Bench
Bird for titans last year and in particular this year has been great. Even the year before that (2012) was alright. Just hard to shine in a titans side that was dreadful back a couple of years ago

Bird for titans last year and in particular this year has been great. Even the year before that (2012) was alright. Just hard to shine in a titans side that was dreadful back a couple of years ago

He hasn't stood out amazingly and given the depth of the back rowers for NSW there are quite a few going around that are doing better. Eg Gallen, Watmough, Stewart, Sims, Cordner. If we we're picking on form, bird would probably miss out.

Tayjack

Juniors
He hasn't stood out amazingly and given the depth of the back rowers for NSW there are quite a few going around that are doing better. Eg Gallen, Watmough, Stewart, Sims, Cordner. If we we're picking on form, bird would probably miss out.

You have seriously lost your f**king marbles. Bird is without doubt or question the best back rower in the comp along with Gallen. Case closed.

Spot On

Coach
Bird first chosen without doubt. No brainer. Proved ot again in the test match. Just awesome.

Last edited:

Latest posts