What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

isaiah

Bench
It's just hilarious reading, all this!

your selectors need after 8 years of losing, to learn some lessons of who will stand up and who won't. from my memories of last years series, i thought dugan had some good moments and deserves the first bite at the 1 jersey.
brett morris must play. jennings went alright. hayne played well in the centres in the wc but i dont think that is where you get you best value out of his skill set. and definately not at 6, seems to me he has hardly ever played well there even at club level. he has to be in the side, so play him on a wing and give him a licence to roam. pat richards is a one trick pony and a dinosaur. taufua or tupou should get a chance sometime soon, but not this year, barring injury. i don't believe josh morris is up to this level. you need another centre, not lawrence, definately not leilua [gagai is the better of their centres but won't get a qld jersey], pity jamie lyon is not interested in rep footy. maybe hopoate and hope he can rediscover that game in 2011 he played.
maloney is hopelessly out of touch, josh reynolds has some utility value but don't start him at 6, mullen or carney have what it takes to control an origin game. sutton is a joke.
pearce has to go, he is never going to win you a series vs either cronk or cherry-evans. just a gap in class. albert kelly in an opportunist from broken field but his defence will cost you. adam reynolds needs to run more for souths before you can trust him here. hodgkinson is not up to it, maybe you have to go with mullen AND carney.
tamou will get the job done. disappointing in origin last year but was playing with a hurt back through the middle of the year. i read someone say that woods doesn't have the pace at the line to trouble the qld defence. good club player. fifita is a must. he was one of your 3 best players last year. farah is the only 9 you have.
gallen of course. but if only he didn't punch a guy with his hands by his side last year, you may have won the 3rd game and the series. merrin is a must, watmough and bird, too. cordner has to be on the bench. i don't think any young forwards have put their hand up to say, pick me.
so summing up,
dugan
hayne
jennings
hopoate
b.morris
mullen
carney
tamou
farah
fifita
gallen
bird
merrin

bench- cordner, j.reynolds, watmough, and woods

looks a lot like last year's team, just changed the halves. thats all you lacked last year. it was close but we have the classy halves that win games if the forward pack can break even.

pity for you guys that blake ferguson is such an idiot. could have made the difference.

why the love for beau scott. he is almost 30, having played 5 origins for 4 losses. his knights team are equal last with a dragons team about to rise with the addition of benji. so the knights are the worst team and if he is so good, his organisation of his teams defence should be making a difference.
surely merrin can defend on the edge if lewis is not ready.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'm not one to be overly dramatic, but anybody who doesn't pick Greg Bird in an origin team should kill themself.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
why the love for beau scott. he is almost 30, having played 5 origins for 4 losses. his knights team are equal last with a dragons team about to rise with the addition of benji. so the knights are the worst team and if he is so good, his organisation of his teams defence should be making a difference.

I didn't think it was possible to post so much fail in just a couple of sentences :lol:

Tayjack

Juniors
I'm not one to be overly dramatic, but anybody who doesn't pick Greg Bird in an origin team should kill themself.

Ur not wrong - not to worry though, Daley and anyone else who understand origin say he is the in the first two picked every time, tim sheens also says that along with Cameron smith he is the first picked in the Aussie side.

Tayjack

Juniors
Righto, we can all stop the debate now, Luke Lewis is playing next Monday against parra, he will then get another game in, and will be enough for Laurie Daley, he will be in with bird and Gallen in the backrow and rightly so.

Swarzey

Bench

:lol:

So much stupid in one post.

big hit!

Bench
Righto, we can all stop the debate now, Luke Lewis is playing next Monday against parra, he will then get another game in, and will be enough for Laurie Daley, he will be in with bird and Gallen in the backrow and rightly so.

lewis first needs to play, then play well, and then come out of these matches uninjured.

needs to develop match fitness too.

i'd say it's Scott's right edge position right now unless Lewis can play and prove otherwise in the short period prior to game 1.

big hit!

Bench
It's not too bad, but I'd probably play bird at 13, Watmough 11. Also probably gallen back to second row, start fifita- Scott back to bench.

scott will start on the right edge or won't be picked. more versatile players will be required for the bench.

PF - Tamou
PF - Woods
MF - Gallen
RF - Scott
LF - Bird

I - Fifita
I - Merrin
I - Watmough
I - Cordner/Lewis

depending on how Lewis travels in the next few weeks, he could take the place of Cordner. Can play on the edge or in middle as a small forward/backrower, and fill in other roles in the team too.

I like the look of my interchange. Does not lose anything from the starting pack at all.

Tayjack

Juniors
lewis first needs to play, then play well, and then come out of these matches uninjured.

needs to develop match fitness too.

i'd say it's Scott's right edge position right now unless Lewis can play and prove otherwise in the short period prior to game 1.

It doesn't matter what you or I think, Lewis just has to come through uminjured and he's is in, I ain't telling you this, Laurie Daley has confirmed it and does so publically for all to see. I agree with him however because he is an origin player full stop.

brock0brien

Juniors
David Mead could be a good choice for right wing after his form so far this season. Could be a decent fill in at fullback if required, has great speed and is a solid defender.

Spot On

Coach
scott will start on the right edge or won't be picked. more versatile players will be required for the bench.

PF - Tamou
PF - Woods
MF - Gallen
RF - Scott
LF - Bird

I - Fifita
I - Merrin
I - Watmough
I - Cordner/Lewis

depending on how Lewis travels in the next few weeks, he could take the place of Cordner. Can play on the edge or in middle as a small forward/backrower, and fill in other roles in the team too.

I like the look of my interchange. Does not lose anything from the starting pack at all.

I'd be genuinely shocked if Cordner, after starting for Australia, is not in the NSW 17.

Spot On

Coach
Dude go onto YouTube and search state of origin game 3 2013. If you've watched the last state of origin game, you'd realize that as soon as he came on he changed the whole game. He doesn't pull his game up like Greg Bird does, but that's because he plays quite well for his club. Bird based on club form probably shouldn't be there.

We lost game 3. I'd certainly hope our interchange forwards would make an impact coming form the bench as that is their role. They're coming on when other players are a little tired yeh?

Are you seriously suggesting Greg Bird's form for the Titans this year has been poor? Are you seriously suggesting Bird would be lucky to be picked for NSW????

Dutchy

Immortal
1. Stewart
2. Morris
3. Morris/Jennings
4. Hayne
5. Taufua/Mead
6. J. Reynolds/Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Gallen
11. Bird
12. Cordner
13. Merrin

14. Fifita
15. Lewis
16. Watmough
17. Woods

tumbidragon

First Grade
mead was good today. But I'd have Topou in over him tbh. Idris prob earned himself a spot, whether it be at centre or bench rotation i don't know. Fifita prob cemented a spot also. Halves and hooker are both the glaring issue, as both sets from today were either poor or meh..

1. Hayne
2. The better Morris
3. Idris
4. Morris
5. Topou
6. Kelly (if fit)
7. Piss (he's going to be there. You know it. I know it...)
8. Fifita
9. Farah (Duges help us if he's not fit)
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Lewis (don't care if he's not played yet. He's always close to our best)
13. Gallen

Bench 14.Merrin, 15.Watmough, 16.Grant, 17. Fensom (deserves a call up)

boonboon

Juniors
For a second ignoring the SOO team and if CvC was a real trial then you would almost pick the country backs with the city forwards with probably Beau Scott and Josh Jackson.

I have been really impressed with Mead, Gordon, Idris, Wighton but I don't think any will get a spot to start with

My team at this stage
Dugan
Morris
Morris
Jennings
Hayne
Mulen (first time ive picked him but think he is in)
Pearce
Gallen
Bird
Cordner
Woods
Farah
Tamou

Fifita
Merrin
Watmough
Jamal Idris

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Josh Reynolds was the worst half on the field today. He plays with a lot of energy, but he just has zero composure and will get found out massively in Origin. Mullen and A Reynolds looked rusty but had some good moments at least.

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Idris
4. Jennings
5. Tupou
6. Mullen
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Merrin

14. Kelly
15. Fifita
16. Grant
17. Watmough

Noname36

First Grade
Mullen is on one leg, far from his best form and still has been able to outplay Reynolds twice easily in the space of two weeks. Not saying they should pick Mullen but surely that says Reynolds can't be there.

big hit!

Bench
I'd be genuinely shocked if Cordner, after starting for Australia, is not in the NSW 17.

99% of me believes this too.

If lewis plays the remaining Cronulla matches and doesn't re-injure his shoulder or injure anything else prior to selection sunday, then he's probably got the right edge position ahead of Scott. Right now though, I think it's Scott's position.

Dunno what Daley's thoughts are re Gallen. I.e., whether he is contemplating him in as a Prop. He did this last year to select Hoffman on the left edge and keep Bird in the team by shifting him into the middle third, but Ryan has been nothing like the form he had at this stage last season so this unlikely to happen.

I reckon we have at least 3 bona fide front line props this year in Tamou, Woods & Fifita who ought to be selected, and the 4th player who can play as prop in the rotation will probably be Merrin. Selecting 3 props will also give Daley the flexibility to remain big or go mobile in the middle during the match if the progression of the game requires it. Merrin, Watmough, Gallen, Bird & Cordner are all able to play in the middle if required. Important to have this flexibility, IMO.