What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW vs QLD beaches

mongoose

Coach
Was having this debate with a mate from NSW. He reckons NSW has better beaches than QLD. He did concede that QLD has better beach weather though.

I think Airlie and Coolangatta shits all over anything NSW has to offer but NSW probably has better surf.

My mate thinks Wooloongong has some great beaches (Kiama) but I haven't been to them.

Thoughts?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Airlie Beach is crap, thats why they put in a huge public access pool next to the beach like they did in Cairns.

NSW definitely has the best surf. Kirra Point will never be the same as it was. Burleigh and Noosa provide some good point breaks but NSW is full of point breaks that are every bit as good.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
As far as surf goes, NSW eats QLD for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Having surfed most breaks from Agnes Waters in the north to Merimbula in the south, NSW has by far the better breaks. Nothing compares to Black Rock, Green Island, Shark Island, Kurnell Point, Lennox Head, The Pass, etc, etc.

What has QLD have? An overcrowded Burleigh, an overrated Kirra and not much else. Beach breaks at Duranbah and Mooloolaba are better!

If you go to the beach to appreciate the sand, I suppose Hyams Beach in Jervis Bay would be up there. It's always in the top ten lists of the world's best beaches. Considering I've been there about 50 times, it's nothing special.

Maybe some north QLD beaches in remote spots would also rate. Having never been there, I can't really comment. It may be a case of quality photoshopping in tourist brochures.

mongoose

Coach
guess it depends on what you want from a beach. For pristine water and clean white sand QLD will be better. For surfing NSW is certainly better.

Bulldog Force

Referee
It depends. People might laugh at this, but with the sand, surf, green hills and palm trees making a nice large shady area, as well as many seafood and ice cream shops in the nearby shopping mall, Cronulla beach is far and away my favorite.

Laugh if you will, we're talking beaches here, not footy teams!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
As far as surf goes, NSW eats QLD for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Having surfed most breaks from Agnes Waters in the north to Merimbula in the south, NSW has by far the better breaks. Nothing compares to Black Rock, Green Island, Shark Island, Kurnell Point, Lennox Head, The Pass, etc, etc.

What has QLD have? An overcrowded Burleigh, an overrated Kirra and not much else. Beach breaks at Duranbah and Mooloolaba are better!

If you go to the beach to appreciate the sand, I suppose Hyams Beach in Jervis Bay would be up there. It's always in the top ten lists of the world's best beaches. Considering I've been there about 50 times, it's nothing special.

Maybe some north QLD beaches in remote spots would also rate. Having never been there, I can't really comment. It may be a case of quality photoshopping in tourist brochures.

D'bar is in NSW, just south of the border.

So many other places in NSW, Angourie, Crowdy Head, Broken Head, Cresent Head, Sth West Rocks, Old Bar, sooooooo many hot spots and so many I haven't even mentioned.

On top of that we got city beaches like DeeWhy and Narrabeen and Fairybower.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
D'bar is in NSW, just south of the border.

So many other places in NSW, Angourie, Crowdy Head, Broken Head, Cresent Head, Sth West Rocks, Old Bar, sooooooo many hot spots and so many I haven't even mentioned.

On top of that we got city beaches like DeeWhy and Narrabeen and Fairybower.

Ooops, bad me!

Anyway, every time I've been there, it felt like QLD.

Anything north of Noosa is crap, full of stingers, crocodiles, brown brackish water and no waves. That explains the swimming pools.

Last edited:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Give me an uncrowded beach in a remote area away from civilisation any day. There's nothing worse than a beach with a background of highrises with the sand in shadows from 3 o'clock onwards such as the Gold Coast.

Along with those places comes the overinflated prices for food and other services, and the beach trolling pretenious wankers. How anyone would consider a visit to somewhere like Venice Beach in Los Angeles as enjoyable is beyond me.

There is nothing better than the solitude of a deserted beach, especially when the waves are good. :)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
agreed

I spent many years living and surfing in the Nullabor (Penong), no TV, no power just uncrowded surf, and the occasional white pointer but they were pretty well fed.

Best surf ever, more power than anything on the east coast

Latest posts