What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSWRL Cup TV Coverage 2008

yappy

Bench
It seems NSWRL has a fair budget to promote the comp next year (over $150k) and have asked the clubs if they preferred to spend it on local media (radio/papers) or to get TV coverage. ABC are interested (ABC 2) as the QLD Cup goes well for them, but they're committed to the elbow patch brigade on the main FTA channel. Fox are also interested in a combined coverage of NSWRL Cup and JBC.

Wests have already made it clear that we can handle the local media thanks very much - get us on the box.

Get in contact with your clubs and let them know you want the same message going to Philip St.

Also comp will be 12 teams/22 rounds home and away. Grand Final the day before the NRL GF. So there will be some free weekends during the season and maybe a start after the NRL.

Draw will be done after the NRL draw to accommodate requests for combined games with NRL sides where requested. Foundation clubs requests take priority so a Wests/Balmain game at Birchgrove on Apr 20 is likely, as is a return match at Pratten Park.

girvie

Staff member
Thanks for that info.

TV coverage would be great.

And with the great job that has been happening with the guys calling the game on 2ser things are looking positive.

If they can afford it would be great if they looked into getting column space or an ad in one of the weekend papers.

yappy

Bench
ABC 2 would be my wish. I'd have to get a set top box, but everyone will have digital soon enough. I'll NEVER pay for Foxtel and I don't think I'd be on my own there.

girvie

Staff member
So will the name be changed to NSWRL Cup?

What's the latest on that?

Skinner

Coach
Not sure what, if anything, will happen with TV here next year. Sky covered all the
Lions home games, but that was because they curtain raised the Warriors.

Next season, that role will be undertaken by the NRL 20s.

Probably worth an approach to Maori TV who covered Bartercard Cup this season
and are very Rugby League centric.

Yeah - I'm keen to know what the comp is going to be called.....

yappy said:
It seems NSWRL has a fair budget to promote the comp next year (over $150k) and have asked the clubs if they preferred to spend it on local media (radio/papers) or to get TV coverage. ABC are interested (ABC 2) as the QLD Cup goes well for them, but they're committed to the elbow patch brigade on the main FTA channel. Fox are also interested in a combined coverage of NSWRL Cup and JBC.

Wests have already made it clear that we can handle the local media thanks very much - get us on the box.

Get in contact with your clubs and let them know you want the same message going to Philip St.

Also comp will be 12 teams/22 rounds home and away. Grand Final the day before the NRL GF. So there will be some free weekends during the season and maybe a start after the NRL.

Draw will be done after the NRL draw to accommodate requests for combined games with NRL sides where requested. Foundation clubs requests take priority so a Wests/Balmain game at Birchgrove on Apr 20 is likely, as is a return match at Pratten Park.

That's all very exciting news...

Fingers crossed the NSWRL can get off their backside and get the NSW comp on the telly.

If it is on the ABC then it'd be on free to air and then replayed on ABC2, like the Qld Cup.

Also excited about the return match at Pratten Park, I've never seen a game there so that'd be another ground to tick off!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
As long as every team gets fair coverage (unlike the NRL).

ABC2 is the best place to have it. If you don't have digital it will only cost you $50 for a SD set top box and maybe a couple of hundred for a compatible Antenna. But those are things that you will need to get eventually.

If we could structure it like the NSW Rugby Coverage, where they do a weekend wrap as well that would be awesome.

yappy

Bench
HPH - no it would not be on the main ABC channel and then replayed on ABC 2 - The Union will keep their Saturday arvo spot, we'd only get ABC 2. But as Natalie's Daddy said, everyone is going to need a set top box sooner or later so it will ensure good free to air coverage, and anyone who already has Pay can get ABC 2 already, so a good result if we can get the NSWRL to spend the money.

The name is NSWRL Cup, if they get a sponsor it will be 'Sponsor's Name' NSWRL Cup but that will get shortened to 'Sponsor's Name' Cup in general usage. I don't have any inside info, but a bet on VB Cup might not be throwing money away.

yappy said:
HPH - no it would not be on the main ABC channel and then replayed on ABC 2 - The Union will keep their Saturday arvo spot

Why is that? Is that purely for contractual reasons?

My understanding is that the Qld Cup produces absolutely outstanding ratings for the ABC in Qld -- I find it hard to believe that the ARC and Shute Shield would be achieveing similar ratings in NSW.

Not that ratings are what drive the ABC...

yappy

Bench
Contract. ABC loves the Qld Cup, they get 90 000 viewers. If they could get half that on ABC 2 for NSWRL they'd do cartwheels I reckon.

roopy

Referee
The 'Newcastle' side looks like being fielded by Central Charlestown - which means they will techniquely be a City of Lake Macquarie side.

Only fair since Lake Macquarie is one of the great junior nurseries - producing players like Mason, Finch, Burt, Ennis, Newton, Anthony Quinn, Abraham, Perry, Sweeney, O'Meley, Kimmorley, and past greats like Harrogan, Muir, Sargeant, and many, many more.

With Lake Macquarie set to be bigger than both Newcastle and the Central coast within 15 years this could lead to bigger things.

Taniwha

Juniors
Just skipping through SKY digital Television in NZ it says we get full live coverage of NSWRL Jersey Flegg and Premier League games, aswell as the Arrive Alive cup game. Wicked, its gotta be the first time this would of happened.

yakstorm

First Grade
If ABC can guarentee weekly coverage, the NSWRL should go for it. If its on ABC2 then most people with PayTV will already have access to the service, plus anyone who has bought a digital TV or set top box recently, so its a fair sized market.

I'd imagine that the proposed Fox involvement would eat into their current coverage of Jim Beam Cup, which wouldn't be ideal as both competitions should be on TV in some capacity.

Hopefully if the games can get on ABC2, they can also be picked up by BigPond and used as Videos on Demand like they plan to do with the Toyota Cup, Qld Cup and Arrive Alive Cup.

yappy

Bench
yakstorm said:
I'd imagine that the proposed Fox involvement would eat into their current coverage of Jim Beam Cup, which wouldn't be ideal as both competitions should be on TV in some capacity.
That's right yak. If the NSWRL take the easy option and go with Fox it will be a combined coverage with JBC. NSWRL Cup one week, JBC the next with a combined NSWRL show. Much better than what we currently have, but still not a patch on having a live coverage on ABC 2 every Saturday 3pm. That's why Wests are trying to get the other clubs onside to push for ABC 2 rather than waiting to let NSWRL take the soft option.

roopy

Referee
Just on Charlestown playing as the 'Central Newcastle Knights'
They have played as the 'Butcher Boys' since 1910 and arn't based in Newcastle.
If they are going to keep playing out of Saint Johns oval in Lake Macquarie i can't see how they can call themselves Newcastle.
Starting in 1910 would probably have them in the oldest 15 or 20 teams in the country. I don't know why they would let that history just lapse.

yakstorm

First Grade
yappy said:
That's right yak. If the NSWRL take the easy option and go with Fox it will be a combined coverage with JBC. NSWRL Cup one week, JBC the next with a combined NSWRL show. Much better than what we currently have, but still not a patch on having a live coverage on ABC 2 every Saturday 3pm. That's why Wests are trying to get the other clubs onside to push for ABC 2 rather than waiting to let NSWRL take the soft option.

What would be great acctually is if the NSWRL did both. Have the regular ABC2 Game every Saturday at 3pm, but also have 1 game every 2 weeks on Fox Sports as well, plus the NSWRL show.

Being able to see 3 games of NSWRL Premier League every 2 weeks would go a long way to establishing a profile for this competition. What they need to ensure as well is that the NSWRL become a lot more proactive in how they promote the competition.

Setting up almost a pure NSWRL Cup website would go a long way, with up to date features on games, and some colour stories would be great.

yappy

Bench
Not me, I don't have nor want Foxtel, but someone must be watching because Fox is keen to continue with it.

hgfds

Juniors
Central's new ground will be poorly served by public transport the rail link to the eastern side of the lake was closed in the 70s,a redeveloped no2 sports ground would supply rail transport to visiting fans