What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nz breaker signs with the spurs

Stonecutter

First Grade
He averaged 18.5 pts for the Breakers and is a forward so could be a good signing. Now I'd say the spurs will play Duncan at C.

Stonecutter

First Grade
The spurs also signed C jackie Butler from the Knicks. He is a restricted agent so we'll have to wait 7 days to see if the knicks do anything. yr $7 mill

Its gonna be a long 7 days.

Melzer makes NBA
Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:43 AM
NBL, New Zealand Breakers

The New Zealand Breakers are on the hunt for a new import after American Rich Melzer realised a lifelong dream in securing an NBA contract for the coming season.

The 26-year-old signed a two-year contract on Thursday with the San Antonio Spurs after impressing in the Orlando Magic summer league and spending 10 days in camp with the Spurs last month.

Breakers coach Andrej Lemanis is thrilled for Melzer personally, but admits the Minnesota native’s effort has complicated the coaching staff’s planning.

“Wow, it’s a great opportunity for Rich and we wish him every success,” Lemanis said. “It’s a positive reflection on our recruitment policy to see him make the NBA and it shows players can develop here as part of our program and that we are a viable pathway to the big time. John Dorge worked extensively with the big men last season and Rich himself acknowledges that he’s a better player because of that input.

“Now we have to evaluate our options in securing a replacement. Rich not only knew our systems and culture, he is a talented player with unique skills and we need to determine the balance of our roster and sign a quality import that fits in with the make-up of the team.”

Melzer says he has mixed emotions about the NBA contract because his heart was set on returning to New Zealand.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t excited about being signed, but at the same time I’m also a little saddened because I’ve been waiting to go back to the Breakers ever since I left after the last season,” Melzer said.

“I attribute a lot of this success to Andrej, John and the team because I really believe I wasn’t a professional ball player until my experiences in New Zealand.

“Man, I’m really going to miss the team, but I’ll try and do everyone proud and represent New Zealand and Australian basketball one hundred per cent.”

player of the month in january in the nbl as well. he started slowly last year but got better as the season progressed.

p.s great game by the tall blacks last night.

Iafeta

Referee
That's awesome to see.

Maybe it'll be an inspiration to the Breakers for an improved season.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Is he going to get anytime?

Spurs seem to like to sign NBL players dont they. I recall Gaze n Heal playign sparingly for them

Stonecutter

First Grade
At SF probably no. Depth Chart of Bruce Bowen, Brent Barry, Eric Williams. I'd say he will have minutes like Fabricio Oberto and Beno Udrih last season only coming on once the Spurs are a long way infront. Depth chart (current)
SF:
Bruce Bowen: 35
Brent Barry: 35
Eric Williams: 34

PF: Horry
Bonner

C: Duncan
Oberto

He could get time at SF considering all these players are old and close to retierment. If Popovic wants to him to play PF then he would get alot more minutes with Duncan a probable C and Horry at PF. But if the spurs get Butler then he will start and Duncan will move back to PF and Horry to the bench meaning Melzer won't get much game time unless he impresses and moves up the rotation.