What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZRU Confirm Bid For 2011 World Cup

nz_novocastrian

Juniors
New Zealand have put their last World Cup hosting debacle behind them, entering the race to stage the 2011 tournament.

The bitter fall-out from the co-hosting row that cost them a share of last year's World Cup that went solely to Australia is a thing of the past in the eyes of the NZRU.

NZRU chief executive Chris Moller confirmed that his union had signalled in writing to the International Rugby Board that New Zealand wanted to host the 2011 World Cup.

They are in a three-way race with Japan and South Africa at this stage.

Argentina also wants a stake in the action, hoping to attract some matches off South Africa if the republic is successful with their bid.

Japan loom as the favourite. They have the infrastructure after successfully staging the last soccer World Cup and they represent a new Asian market for rugby to target.

New Zealand staged the inaugural World Cup in 1987 while South Africa held the 1995 event.

The IRB will confirm the criteria on which hosting bids will be judged in November. The bidders can then decide whether to continue in the race. The IRB will name the successful bid at the end of next year.

France is hosting the next World Cup in 2007 although matches will also be played in Scotland and Wales. Ireland has pulled out of hosting their matches in that tournament.

I dunno about you guys but I think NZ lacks some of the stadium sizes and such to host it? I would rather NZ than Japan though, I think Japan isnt best suited for the Rugby World Cup. At least if it was in NZ it allows people from countries like Fiji, Samoa and Tonga a chance to come to the games live.

nz_novocastrian said:
New Zealand have put their last World Cup hosting debacle behind them, entering the race to stage the 2011 tournament.

The bitter fall-out from the co-hosting row that cost them a share of last year's World Cup that went solely to Australia is a thing of the past in the eyes of the NZRU.

NZRU chief executive Chris Moller confirmed that his union had signalled in writing to the International Rugby Board that New Zealand wanted to host the 2011 World Cup.

They are in a three-way race with Japan and South Africa at this stage.

Argentina also wants a stake in the action, hoping to attract some matches off South Africa if the republic is successful with their bid.

Japan loom as the favourite. They have the infrastructure after successfully staging the last soccer World Cup and they represent a new Asian market for rugby to target.

New Zealand staged the inaugural World Cup in 1987 while South Africa held the 1995 event.

The IRB will confirm the criteria on which hosting bids will be judged in November. The bidders can then decide whether to continue in the race. The IRB will name the successful bid at the end of next year.

France is hosting the next World Cup in 2007 although matches will also be played in Scotland and Wales. Ireland has pulled out of hosting their matches in that tournament.

I dunno about you guys but I think NZ lacks some of the stadium sizes and such to host it? I would rather NZ than Japan though, I think Japan isnt best suited for the Rugby World Cup. At least if it was in NZ it allows people from countries like Fiji, Samoa and Tonga a chance to come to the games live.

yep even the nzrfu said the stadium issue is the only thing that is holding them back, they are supposely going to work with the central and local government to maybe fix that

nz_novocastrian

Juniors
Tighthead said:
It would be good to see the WC in Japan - hold it outside the usual suspects.

I agree in ways, seeing as Japan is a smaller rugby nation maybe it'll increase popularity there, but are there many stadiums upto international standards there?

ThrashViking

Juniors
They did host the soccer world cup 2 years ago and they sure do have alot more cash than New Zealand to spend on stadiums
Japan are also one of the bigger rugby nations in terms of over all playing numbers

thescrum.co.uk

Juniors
Its time to take it out side the 6 Nations or Tri Nations strong Holds. I think NZ do not have the stadiums to hold it. unlike japan. and Rugby is very popular there. I think its worth the rist and they need to do it sooner rather then later.

bayrep

Juniors
I would rather see it in Japan. To be honest after the crap effort NZ did in the last RWC, I doubt we could hold a professional looking bid also I would like to see NZ with an 80K seat stadium. When they do this then I think we will be on the right track.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Ther is currently a feasablity study underway for a 60-80K stadium in South Auckland..... We will probably only hear something if it gets the go ahead. Time will tell tho.

meltiger

First Grade
NZ 87, SA 95

If they give it to a traditional Rugby Nation it should be NZ rather than South Africa.

lockyno1

Post Whore
NZ had the chance to do half of the games at Rugby World Cup 2003! They have had their chance! they should put it in Asia before NZ! :clap:

Anonymous

Juniors
Sorry I'm not following this stadium issue? As long as you keep the big games at Jade, Eden Park, Wespac Trust, Hamilton and Carisbrook, you can send the smaller games off to places like Yarrow Stadium.

Can someone fill me in here?

Latest posts