What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T - Living in Canberra

supera

Juniors
Carlton blows. spruikers ruined that place 10 years ago.

and the earlier comment about Melbourne being the best team to watch is beyond ridiculous. good if you're a fan of theirs, but their permanent state of offside and wrestling is a huge turnoff.

Melbourne as a city is awesome.

Canberra, as a sleepy hollow, is quite nice. probably pertinent to mention the weather. fkn hot in summer, fkn cold as buggery in winter, and polleny as hell at this time of year. never having had hay fever in my life, this time of year is horrific in Canberra.

Cronk2011

Juniors
Absolutely, if you moved to melbourne, the first thing youd do is sell your car and use the money to deck out your pad with some creature comforts
My and the missus discussed the option of sydney v melbourne if the move to canberra doesnt pan out for her career wise (which is why we moved here)
we both love sydney but are keen to try our hand at melbourne if that bridge comes

I could spend every weekend there exploring the pubs and weird alley way drinking holes and never think ive found them all. Plus the idea of having the ability to duck off to carlton any time i liked, thats a good bonus. The culture is fantastic down there.

Totally understand where your coming from with the storm, i know plenty who hate them and cant enjoy them. I do though, if i ever moved to melbourne, id be a season ticket holder there for sure.

I knew you were a closet storm supporter!

LazyDreamer

Bench
Lived in Canberra for four years. Loved it, but had to leave as had a young family & no other family support network.

If you're into hunting & fishing, suggest you make yourself known at the Wood Duck at Hall - the only true pub in the ACT (ie, some yuppie hasn't spent millions trying to make it look like a true pub).

DiggerBlue

Juniors
I'm with the Army living in Canberra. If I didn't have some of subsidized housing I'd be in a real pickle. Costs of living in Canberra make my eyes water! But aside from that I don't mind it at all, small enough not to be too cluttered and busy but big enough not to be super boring with nothing to do.

Sean18

Juniors
I'll be moving to Canberra for uni and i'm just wondering whats the night-life in Canberra like?

Last edited:

Bay56

First Grade
Move down here 7 months ago, cant see myself heading back to sydney anytime soon, absolutely love it down here, there is loads to do around canberra, if you've got the IQ to think past doof doof club

Listen to the lad ... he makes more sense than most

Bay56

First Grade
^^^
agree with comments re Melbourne ... far more cultured and civilised than Sydney ... and of course home to the Mighty Pies

andrew9148

Juniors
I have lived in Melbourne for 4 years, Sydney for 24 and CAnberra for 2 where I currently am.

I have liked them all.

If you come to Canberra, theoretically you can go back to Sydney every weekend. I go back 2 out of 3. It costs about 55 bucks return on the bus. or drive of course.

If u live in Melb it costs 300 return (approx) leaving on a friday night.

Canberra is easy, there are lots of pubs, its a nice place to live.

Utey

Coach
Canberra, what a spot. Ended up with a unit in Kingston. Loving it so far :)

Thanks for the all the feedback.

Latest posts