What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obviously Mundine is anti league, so why is he on Ch9 promoting his fights?

Michelle Leslie

Juniors
I simply cannot understand the logic of the execs at the footy show.

Clearly Mundine is anti rugby league.
Clearly Mundine is anti the ARL for his non selection and is unreserved in his view that racism cost him selection.
Clearly Mundine is Muslim and this polarises his views towards other religions.

It is my view that not many people could argue these observations.

Now Sonny Bill Williams is citing the above reasons for leaving rugby league.
Clearly Sonny is highly impressionable.
It is a pity that Steve Folkes had no real influence on his decision making and is being used a scape goat. What some fans might ask is why Folkes had the complete opposite reaction he was after. Perhaps Steve stayed on a season too long like some players do.

Channel 9 which has league as one of the jewels of programming continually has Mundine on the footy show giving this man air time and credence on his veiled anti league sentiments.

It is bad business on many levels.
It is bad PR for the game, it has cost rugby league a valuable player as Mundine has met Williams through indirect relations with League players and it leaves us the fans of league wondering what the agendas of rugby league are.

This has not been helped by a weak administrator of the NRL who recites clap trap on a continuous basis.
The biggest issue for the game is in what direction League is headed. When the leader of the game blames those who challenge him on not providing any answers to "tough" questions then we are left thinking what is David Gallop being paid to do?

In my view Folkes is an easy target.
Gallop leaving is the key to wiping the slate clean and generating new energy for the future of Rugby League.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah I don't think Mundine should be invited on the Footy Show, especially in regards to his help in defecting Williams from league. Channel 9 chase ratings though, they don't care how, if Mundine brings extra viewers onto the Footy show then they'll do it.

Yet their ratings have dropped and dropped, it's no surprise.

Weidler's interview with Williams will be make or break tonight for the Footy show, it's going to be a sugercoated interview, however if the guys back in the studio sugercoat it themselves then the show, and the panel, will lose any credibility they now have.

bartman

Immortal
Weidler is a self-serving cancer on the game. Get rid of Weidler, and we get half the circus off TV.

From how they refrained from ripping into Sonny Bill for allegedly breaking the law in skipping out on his contract, I suspect we'll be left with refloections on what a great guy he is, what a loss the the game etc, and teh usual self-serving bullsh*t about raising the salary cap solely for the benefit of greedy pricks of his ilk.

100% agree with you.

It seems its all purely to grab ratings. Except it comes at the expense of league.

The easiest thing for people to do is shift blame. But they cant do that forever.

The sonny situation highlights a glaring hole in the game: That it can no longer afford to live the life its living....i.e having the biggest stars in Australian sport playing our sport. That that is the case is now obvious.

But what needs to be done won't be done any time soon. And whats needed to be done is better tv rights, better spread of teams (over a long period of time), new administration structure, re-work of RL image, clubs income streams grown, etc we all know them on here.

Greed is what is holding this game back. I just wish those at the top would take some big pay out to get the hell out of our game (how else could we get them to move) and then re-do the whole structure on a whats-best-for-league basis.

In the meantime, we will lose more stars, and that is fine, so be it. But we will continue to lose more and more to the greater sports market if nothing is done.

Will something be done? In my opinion, I doubt it. The powers that be are more content it seems with shifting blame, writing news stories, and chasing down sonny to do footy show interviews.

League is a disgusting grab for short-term ratings and bucks. In a ghastly way, even the lawyers chasing sonny are not leagues doing. They were hired. My question is: when will people within league do something for the game; and, if they need to fall on their sword to do it, then so be it. Take a payout, whatever, just get out and let the sport be better.

And if by some chance they are a decent administrator first and foremost, then BE a part of the change. Help it come about. It irks me no one cares enough to bring this about soon. Pay cheques are more important, so thats why I say, pay them to leave.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
Weidler is a self-serving cancer on the game. Get rid of Weidler, and we get half the circus off TV.

From how they refrained from ripping into Sonny Bill for allegedly breaking the law in skipping out on his contract, I suspect we'll be left with refloections on what a great guy he is, what a loss the the game etc, and teh usual self-serving bullsh*t about raising the salary cap solely for the benefit of greedy pricks of his ilk.

Totally agree. There is no chance the current panel on the Footy Show will be critical of a player. Harragon, Johns and Daley are the "nice guys" and they're not going to attack him, all they will do is play the spin doctor and push the emphasis onto other issues. Mark Geyer isn't the smartest tool in the shed, but at least he says what he thinks and never hesitates to criticize someone if he thinks they deserve it. The Footy show needs someone like him, right or wrong.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
once league became a 'business' the only thing which was going to amtter were ratings and sponsors. unfortunately this is to the detriment of a lot of other 'intangibles' such as loyalty.

i dont want league to be run like a chook raffle but i think we need passionate people at the top who have the abiltiy to provide direction and answers. I think gallop has done some good things but he's run out of ideas and leadership and i think it's time for him to step aside.

Mong

Post Whore
I simply cannot understand the logic of the execs at the footy show.

Clearly Mundine is anti rugby league.

In what way? He has relatives playing that he seems to encourage all the way to play in the NRL..

Clearly Mundine is anti the ARL for his non selection and is unreserved in his view that racism cost him selection.

He has views on it certainly.. Why should he not appear on channel 9 for holding that view if indeed he does? Should only people who are always glowingly praising League be allowed on channel 9?

Clearly Mundine is Muslim and this polarises his views towards other religions.

Debateable at best but what has that got to do with anything at all relating to league or channel 9?

It is my view that not many people could argue these observations.

Your views are alreadly looking questionable at best.

Now Sonny Bill Williams is citing the above reasons for leaving rugby league.
Clearly Sonny is highly impressionable.

Has he said all the things you said about mundine above? if so where did he say them as a reason to leave league?

Channel 9 which has league as one of the jewels of programming continually has Mundine on the footy show giving this man air time and credence on his veiled anti league sentiments.

Hahaha..

Your anti mundine views are amusing, not relevant to anything though.

It is bad business on many levels.
It is bad PR for the game, it has cost rugby league a valuable player as Mundine has met Williams through indirect relations with League players and it leaves us the fans of league wondering what the agendas of rugby league are.

So it's all Mundine's fault that SBW left? Nothing to do with money or anything else? All Mundine's fault?

Really? :lol:

This has not been helped by a weak administrator of the NRL who recites clap trap on a continuous basis.
The biggest issue for the game is in what direction League is headed. When the leader of the game blames those who challenge him on not providing any answers to "tough" questions then we are left thinking what is David Gallop being paid to do?

Your probably getting closer.. Any problems within league are not the doing of Mundine no matter how desperate you are for this to be the case..

100% agree with you.

League is a disgusting grab for short-term ratings and bucks. In a ghastly way, even the lawyers chasing sonny are not leagues doing. They were hired. My question is: when will people within league do something for the game; and, if they need to fall on their sword to do it, then so be it. Take a payout, whatever, just get out and let the sport be better.

And if by some chance they are a decent administrator first and foremost, then BE a part of the change. Help it come about. It irks me no one cares enough to bring this about soon. Pay cheques are more important, so thats why I say, pay them to leave.

If we don't have people who can build a club structure and game-wide administration to support the level of greed players demand in the wider sporting marketplace, then we must find them.

We need wealth now and into the future. We don't need poor clubs. And to get there we must give to the fans again.

Ram Man

Juniors
Totally agree. There is no chance the current panel on the Footy Show will be critical of a player. Harragon, Johns and Daley are the "nice guys" and they're not going to attack him, all they will do is play the spin doctor and push the emphasis onto other issues. Mark Geyer isn't the smartest tool in the shed, but at least he says what he thinks and never hesitates to criticize someone if he thinks they deserve it. The Footy show needs someone like him, right or wrong.

Absolutely, MG, although not bright, will ask the tough questions and will point out the obvious that SBW has dogged his mates.
We all know Johns has an agenda and is a massive fan of SBW but he lacks the ability to give an honest opinion with getting splinters in his arse!
Fatty is dumb, Chief is a moron who would only care if this happened to the Knights and Laurie will just talk about about putting more money into the pot to pay the players to stop them from leaving.
They will all dance around the fact that he has broken his contract and failed to fininsh a tough season, while his so called close mates are left to slug it out for the remaining 6 weeks.

If they all just took a second, grew a pair, formed an opinion and actually aired it, maybe they would get some viewers back.

Brutus

Referee
The Footy Show is full of fence-sitting, player protecting, admin-hugging wankers.

No wonder the ratings are poor

Michelle Leslie

Juniors
In what way? He has relatives playing that he seems to encourage all the way to play in the NRL..

He has views on it certainly.. Why should he not appear on channel 9 for holding that view if indeed he does? Should only people who are always glowingly praising League be allowed on channel 9?

Debateable at best but what has that got to do with anything at all relating to league or channel 9?

Your views are alreadly looking questionable at best.

Has he said all the things you said about mundine above? if so where did he say them as a reason to leave league?

Hahaha..

Your anti mundine views are amusing, not relevant to anything though.

So it's all Mundine's fault that SBW left? Nothing to do with money or anything else? All Mundine's fault?

Really? :lol:

Your probably getting closer.. Any problems within league are not the doing of Mundine no matter how desperate you are for this to be the case..

Not that I blame you, but a)you cannot read
b)do not read the telegraph.

Either way,
you have massive issues if you think dissecting my post like that embraces some logical argument or debate.

Nutter.

drake

First Grade
It looked ridiculous when Ronaldo had that haircut, I dunno what Choc thought he had that Ronaldo didn't.

fred_knight

Juniors
the footy show is losing credibility, some might say it never had any, but i can see this interview being a piece of $hit - A) weedler is the interviewer and B) Sonny Bill? need i say more, it will be a total set up, weedler asking the questions to portray poor old sonny as the victim and all that $hit..will give me an excuse to buy a plasma tomorrow after my foot goes through the tv tonight!!!

Michelle Leslie

Juniors
So we need to be reading up on the telegraph to be as informed as yourself?

You're a moron.

It appears Ribs that you misunderstood my post.
I completely disregard the telegraph as spin for the dullards.
It was in this publication that Sonny Bill Williams is being quoted as stating

"who is Steve Folkes to question whteher or not I become a muslim"

At face value this seems fair.

It should not however be used as an excuse to sidestep the real reasons for leaving.
That reason is money.
I question whether Williams would have ever left the sport had he not met Mundine and Nasser.
In fact, I dont need to question it as I know the answer.

I guarantee he would still be a bulldog and honoring his legal commitments.
Instead he has chosen not to.

Mong

Post Whore
Not that I blame you, but a)you cannot read
b)do not read the telegraph.

Either way,
you have massive issues if you think dissecting my post like that embraces some logical argument or debate.

Nutter.

Didn't think you would want to continue that debate any further..

Mate, feel free to blame the games problems on a single person who doesn't have anything to do with the game if you want..

Don't expect to be taken to seriously though..

Michelle Leslie

Juniors
Didn't think you would want to continue that debate any further..

Mate, feel free to blame the games problems on a single person who doesn't have anything to do with the game if you want..

Don't expect to be taken to seriously though..

If u actually read my post you would see that I am blaming the problems of league on David "power hungry"Gallop.

You have smoked too many cones son.