Oceania Cup confirmed

Discussion in 'International' started by adamkungl, Mar 5, 2019.

1. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

2. Burns

Burns First Grade

Um, so does this mean Fiji just don't get a game then? What's Lebanon doing?

Like, I can't even blame the Cook Islands here - treated with contempt last year by being forgotten about in the Oceania Cup anyway.

The RLIF dont even have a date or venue for the RLWC Qualifer between South Africa and the Cook Islands - http://www.rlif.com/

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    adamkungl likes this.
  3. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

Fiji have been shafted so hard in every aspect
    Despite finishing in the WC Semis and beating NZ, the exact same achievement Tonga has got all the attention for,

1. They didn't get a game last October while Tonga got to play Australia.

2. they dont get a game in June unless Lebanon or Italy comes to the table in June, likely no one in charge will bother facilitating this.

3. They get lumped in the 2nd tier of the Oceania Cup

4. They dont get a game v Great Britain

hutch, Force and jim_57 like this.
  4. Burns

Burns First Grade

Fiji are the largest of the Pacific Islands as well. Like, if we took them even half as seriously as Union did they would:

Have had a NSW/QLD Cups side for as long as PNG did.
    Have consistent end of year Tests against either NZ or Australia.

5. jim_57

jim_57 Bench

Long term they have far more potential than Tonga as well and arguably their best team is just as good right now.

Fiji already have quite a few Fijian born players building up in the pro leagues even without any major structure or the NSW Cup team. Get those in place and they could be a real force within 10-20 years.

Yet they and PNG get mostly ignored for Tonga because of the 'flavour of the month' factor. Not saying Tonga shouldn't be getting the games and attention they do, but so should Fiji, PNG and even Samoa.

Walter sobchak, Storm13 and Stallion like this.
  6. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

And they have proven ability for sustained success in 7s. Huge potential in this sport.

hutch, jim_57 and Storm13 like this.
  7. Force

Force Juniors

Fiji got shafted because of the hype Tonga brought to the last World Cup so the organisers are hoping to cash in. Fiji have been shafted big time and its not only the last World Cup, they made it the furthest of the P.Is nations for the past 3 at least. I remember before the 2013 RLWC, they said the highest finishing Pacific Island team will be included in the following 4N played downunder but somehow, Fiji ended up playing Samoa in a play-off for the 4N berth yet, Fiji beat Samoa at the 2013 RLWC to advance to the semi's. The goal posts got shifted in that regards.

I think all 3 Pacific Island teams can beat each other on their day, especially when all are at full strength. Tonga has just gained the ascendancy lately cos they are at full strength, Fiji is pretty much full strength too but Samoa arent. Samoa and Tonga will bring more hype with their fans if the game is played in OZ or NZ due to their large heritage population in those Countries.

8. Storm13

Storm13 Juniors

Why didn't the Fiji bid look at the QRL?

Would think the backing of the QRL and the Goverment would be able to top up the possible Origin players for the future.

9. yakstorm

yakstorm Bench

The Oceania Cup is actually a RLIF event, so it is them who have f*$ked up here... Maybe this is their way of announcing the South Africa match won't happen (although my understanding was CI v SA was originally scheduled for May).

Anyway as for Fiji, they really are victims due to migration. Unfortunately Tonga and Samoa are more commercially viable teams in Australia and New Zealand versus PNG and Fiji due to the larger heritage communities.

Walter sobchak likes this.
  10. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

It is just nsane how short RLs attention span is....

Right now, we are crazy about Tonga. In 2 years, they are gonna start to slow down. So, instead of doubling -down and building something that will last long term, RL will abandon the for the next gimick.

Attention span of a retarded toddler....

11. Stallion

Stallion First Grade

All the areas abovementioned deserve attention for development in rugby league! Not just one or two !

12. c0c0nutz

c0c0nutz Juniors

It's even unknown whether South Africa are participating as far as I'm aware it's the USA v the Cook Islands..

13. Walter sobchak

Walter sobchak Bench

I guess it all comes down to the $$$$.

Tonga has a large expat community in NZ and large player pool to choice from. Not sure if the Fijian communities are as big in both NZ and Australia.

14. Walter sobchak

Walter sobchak Bench

This. Couldn’t have put it better.

15. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

Cook Islands have claimed they won't be playing Fiji because they're playing South Africa.

But as usual with international RL nothing is straightforward... no official announcement yet

16. welshmagpie

welshmagpie Juniors

It honestly wouldn’t surprise nor shock me if somebody contacted the South African board over the coming days and said...

“Sorry we’ve double booked you and will have to cancel, you can try again in 2023 though so don’t worry!”

17. roughyedspud

roughyedspud Coach

Jeremy Edwards,the RLIF southern hemisphere general manager,is off to a cracking start isn't he...lol

18. Stallion

Stallion First Grade

Yes. The poor administration ethos seems to be a recurring theme within rugby league worldwide. Wonder if this is a deliberate tact in undermining this underperforming/untapped code!? Too many poor administrative decisions going on for my liking!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  19. hutch

hutch First Grade

Just got an email for the “pacific tests” at Leichhardt oval featuring Fiji v Lebanon.

20. roughyedspud

roughyedspud Coach

Until Lebanon players start whinging about money...