What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oceanic Pacifica Rugby League Tournament!

singaporeXIII

Juniors
Oceanic-Pacifica Rugby League Tournament 2005

The Oceanic-Pacifica Rugby League Tournament will be in its 2nd year in 2005, with 12 teams invited to participate over a 2 day period. 29-30 October, 2005.

Although the tournament was held on the Northern Beaches in 2004, there is a strong possibility it may be held elsewhere this year due to the amazing response from Councils throughout Sydney, requesting we consider their areas.

Five teams have already been confirmed for the event, with registrations closing on 29th July, 2005.

Our website is still under construction, but please keep checking on
www.oceanic-pacifica.info for all the updates. The site has been constructed by Yardtech.

All enquiries may also go to Suzanne Fiefia. President of OPRL, on susiiiq@bigpond.com.au

Look forward to hearing from you.

Corbin

Juniors
yeh the comp was held at rat park in narrabeen/warriewood

(i live in mona vale)

i was unable to attend the event last year but if it stays in the same place then i will definalty go.

i got some feedback from some mates and they said it was really really good.

hutch

First Grade
just a question, are there international teams competing or just aussie based players representing their countries of heritage?

singaporeXIII

Juniors
hutch said:
just a question, are there international teams competing or just aussie based players representing their countries of heritage?

Just to answer your query, there will be a few international teams competing. The 5 confirmed teams are Sydney Tongans, Tama Samoa, NSW Maori's, Fiji A and the Cook Islands. Cook Islands will be there national squad with players being selected from Cook Islands, NZ and Australia. The other teams will be made up of Australian based players. Fiji A are considering flying a handful of players over from Fiji and mixing them in with the Australian based Fijians.
Other teams to express interest are New Caledonia who will be soley New Caledonian based players. Also PNG might enter a side and be made up of half PNG based players and half Australian based.
The aboriginals are also going to enter a side. Last year it was the Sydney Metro Aboriginal allstars but not sure of what the team will be called this year. Who knows could be the Australian aboriginals incorporating all aboriginal players throughout Australia and just not Sydney. Would be quite a handy team if that were to happen.

singaporeXIII

Juniors
thommo4pm said:
Will Singapore be looking to participate in this event this year?

No, Singapore will not be competing in this years Oceanic Pacifica Tournament. The Rugby League Association Singapore will be putting all there efforts in getting to Moscow, Russia for the Victory Cup 7's in May.

thommo4pm

Coach
singaporeXIII said:
thommo4pm said:
Will Singapore be looking to participate in this event this year?

No, Singapore will not be competing in this years Oceanic Pacifica Tournament. The Rugby League Association Singapore will be putting all there efforts in getting to Moscow, Russia for the Victory Cup 7's in May.

Good stuff, wish you all the best with your endeavours there.

YANTO

Juniors
Heard on the grapevine that the succesful Victory Cup was being replaced by a sevens tournament.IS THIS CORRECT or are the two competitions running side by side??

Ari Gold

Bench
i heard it was replaced because USA and NZ A are pulling out and not taking part, therefore lack of teams....

YANTO

Juniors
Cant see a sevens comp helping Russia develop as much as the Victory Cup did.
They even won it last year so that shows they were making progress.

singaporeXIII

Juniors
YANTO said:
Heard on the grapevine that the succesful Victory Cup was being replaced by a sevens tournament.IS THIS CORRECT or are the two competitions running side by side??

Hi Yanto. The Victory Cup will not take place this year with full 13 a side fixtures. Instead the Russian RL want to hold a World 7's tournament in the absence of the Sydney World 7's this year. The tournament will be called the Victory Cup 7's and be held in Moscow on May 18-19. The RRL want 12 teams to compete in the event.
Russia, Georgia, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and BARLA are confirmed. RRL want Serbia, Morocco and Lebanon to send sides also.
I spoke with the president of the Rugby League Association Singapore yesterday and he said Singapore is 70% ready to go. So hopefully we can confirm Singapore will be going, in the next few weeks.
The U/16's Rugby League World Cup will still go ahead in Russia and will be held September 20 with upto 16 nations involved.

Ari Gold

Bench
That is absolutely great.......i reckon the Victory 7's is better than the Victory Cup concept......you have great teams from all over the world coming. AND its good to see the Youth World Cup is going ahead, that will be a huge boost for league, anyone know what teams are confirmed for the Youth world cup?

:clap: :clap: :clap: well done RRL, hosting 2 great events this year, and should attract a lot of interest over there.

DIEHARD

----
singaporeXIII said:
The U/16's Rugby League World Cup will still go ahead in Russia and will be held September 20 with upto 16 nations involved.

I hope you are right.

OPRL

Juniors
Thanks to all for your welcome support toward the 2005 Tournament.

I know that with all the effort that has been put in thus far, and all the Individuals and Companies that have shown there willingness to help and support a very worthy cause. To promote and nurture the Great game of Rugby League to the Indigenous countries and peoples around the World.

Thanks to all for their comments and I welcome you to help make this an Annual Event that we all can participate in to show the World the Great talents of the Indigenous Football stars of now and the future.

Please visit our/your website and make comments using the forms throughout the site.
Thanks also should go to League Unlimited for sponsoring a fair and just Web Forum for the Greatest game of All.

John
Webmaster
OPRL www.oceanic-pacifica.info

Latest posts