What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ODI crowds in Australia are dead

undertaker

Coach
Such a shame to see the game last night didn't even crack 30,000 in the "sporting capital of Australia" (as the Victorians lose to boast about). So embarrassing to see all those empty seats, and most of the noise made by the Swarmy Army, who comprised at least 50% of the crowd attendance. I know there wasn't good weather around in the beginning, but the days when the 'G' used to regularly get 60-70,000+ for ODIs are nothing but a distant memory. I guess this is the effect T20 cricket has had on ODI crowds. Why go to the game for 7+ hours when you can see the same thing in 3? (that's the mentality of the pro-T20 supporters, who are mostly non-cricketing purists).

I was watching some highlights from the 96/97 series, and even the West Indies vs Pakistan matches got very strong crowds at WACA, SCG etc. It's a funny thing that even when we abandoned the tri-series in favour of the bloody stupid, useless 5-7 match ODI series during 08/09-10/11, we still struggled to sell out the grounds we always sold out during the old tri-series format whenever Australia played: SCG, Gabba, Adelaide, WACA. They thought that if Australia plays in every ODI match, guaranteed crowds will ensue.....WRONG!

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
ODIs will die off.

Tests and limted overs games, limited overs will be 20/20.

For me summer is over, footy has began.

I did not and will not bother with the ODIs.

undertaker

Coach
ODIs will die off.

Tests and limted overs games, limited overs will be 20/20.

For me summer is over, footy has began.

I did not and will not bother with the ODIs.

I know what you said won't rub off well with most ppl on this forum, but I have to say that I 100% agree with you. For me, it FELT like the cricket season was over after that Adelaide test. Even watching those T20 matches was hard to swallow. It will be very hard for me (as well as a lot of other cricket supporters I've spoken to) to be "eagerly anticipating" the upcoming ODI matches. So much for reviving the tri-series concept in February. It should've started 3-4 days after the SCG test (like it has over the last decade), finishing in early Feb. If it was like that, I'd have no problem as it is January, ppl are on holidays and are still interested in the cricket as there isn't really much else on (well, A-League is the only other "major" sport competing with cricket, but we all know what the popularity of that comp is like in Australia). Our international season should've finished by the 2nd week of February at latest (like it has in the past). When the NRL begins on March 1, popularity for the tri-series will be nearly non-existent in NSW and QLD (especially since there are two tri-series matches that occur on the same day as NRL matches). Only those in the boggerball states will still be watching very keenly. Maybe that's the reason there's no tri-series finals game in Sydney (like there always has been in the past)

Last edited:

beads6

First Grade
It was stupid to have a ODI match a day after a T20 in the same place IMO.

Timbo

Staff member
Also, lets not forget - that crowd in any other stadium in Australia is very respectable. More than half full in Sydney and Brisbane, almost capacity in Adelaide and beyond Perth or Hobart's capacity.

Crowds at the MCG always look awful if there's less than 50,000. Product of it being so huge.

dogslife

Coach
Yeah I went to the G last year for an AFL match (not my doing) and thought what a shithouse crowd, there were 65,000 there apparently

IanG

Coach
My thunder has been stolen here.A crowd of around 30,000 would be good at any other ground.

Also let's not forget that the school holidays are over too. In my case have to take a day off work. Mind you I'll be on Annual Leave anyway when I go.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Crowds in ODI have been so so for a number of years, this isnt a penomenom that just has happend overnight or because of india. It goes back to a few years before the tri nations series got dumped in the first place

With the influx of 20/20, the BBL, We cant expect to see ODI packed to the rafters anytime soon, or any time at all. We need to be smarter. A 12 game tri series is stupid IMO. Scheduling the 1st ODI right after a bumper t20 crowd at the same venue is silly. We need to cut back on the number of ODI games , maybe have them back to back on weekends as well. In any case test cricket had bumper crowds this year, and anythign else is a bonus

Last edited:

juro

Bench
Daily telegraph reckons this is back page news today. 30k crowd in a heavily rain affected match, with 1.3m watching the evening session (compared to 1.4m watching the T20 on Friday night). And then you compare the level of media hype about T20 at the moment...

Yeah, ODI is dead alright! :roll:

Valheru

Coach
I see no problem with ODI matches averaging 15,000-20,000. They are still decent numbers and the twenty20 will produce the mega crowds.

I don’t think ODI’s will die off anytime soon as the world cup and the money behind it drives its existence. What I would do is significantly decrease the amount of games played. An Australian Summer should consist of 6 tests, 6 twenty20 and 6ODI (3 of each against different opposition excepting tests against England and possibly India). That way you have 18 internationals which is similar to how it used to be with the old 5/6 test and tri series model.

undertaker

Coach
It wont die whilever India have a thirst for it.
Crowds were massively down during the India vs England ODI series towards the end of last year and none of the games sold out. The smaller Eden Gardens couldn't even get 50% capacity, and this was India's first ODI series in their country since their 2011 WC triumph. So, this has also become a cause for concern in India.

Latest posts