What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odsal Stadium Query

DrewBeliever

Juniors
No, It use to be used through the summer for racing round in cars, when the track was much bigger.
Before the new Coral Stand was built last season.
So it has like a kind of road going round the out side of the pitch.
It's all cool those.

terracesider

Juniors
Before the cars it was a speedway track. The track cut across the end of the in-goal area. For the rugby they laid turf over it but, rather than settle level, the turf formed a slope.

Bradford's classic move was a to kick into the corner knowing that , if it was perfectly weighted, the ball would roll back down the slope instead of going dead.
:evil:

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
It was worse than that before they rejigged it a bit. I can remember when the corners at Odsal used to have a massive slope in the in goal. I have seen times where players have dived for the ball and the corner of the pitch has moved! :lol:

It's a joke that they are allowed to play there really. The pitch is like a High School pitch in terms of both quality and size. With their enormous pack it is no surprise that they are successful there. Three drives and they are under the sticks!

I think Super League should make the Bulls extend the playing area over the track. It would give a far better playing surface and the action would be closer to the fans.

pommie_raider

Juniors
Couldn't agree with you more.

I think in the off season they should think about re doing the whole front, and putting a new pitch in as well, and landscaping the whole thing.
It's not as if they can't afford it with the brass they earned last season.

Bullseye

Juniors
Not another whinge about the Odsal pitch?

It's within the dimensions allowed for a pitch in the rulebook. Unlike several other SL clubs. It's also one of the widest in the game. Hardly tailor made for a forward orientated team?

The club are going to make the pitch the maximum size allowed over the next few years as part of the plan to redevelop the popular side.

I'm told by the club that simply digging into the speedway track would create problems with foundations of the two stands, affect drainage and leave a wall of a couple of feet at each end. Raising the pitch is the only solution.

The club certainly haven't enough cash to do all this off their own bat. They will need to raise finance by getting a sponsor for the popular side development that would enable them to afford to raise the pitch level.

DrewBeliever

Juniors
The pitch seem's fine to me, the corners don't even really get played on that often, so why does anyone complain?
Ther eonly in the ingoal area.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
The Odsal pitch is incredibly short. Deacon could probably kick a goal from his own 20 on that pitch. It reminds me of a high school pitch.

It is a large factor in the Bulls success there too. Five drives and they are under the sticks.

terracesider

Juniors
DrewBeliever said:
The pitch seem's fine to me, the corners don't even really get played on that often, so why does anyone complain?
Ther eonly in the ingoal area.

I'd say the in-goal is very important and, although it's not as bad as it was, it gave the Dulls an unfair advantage, which they knew how to use to score tries.