What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Contract Panthers

• Thread starter Deleted member 10972
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10972

Who is off contract for Panthers at the end of the season?

I'm aware Trent Waterhouse, Mick Gordon, Peter Wallace & Joel Clinton are...

Who else?

cainen

Juniors
I think Paul Aiton is also. Not sure who else.

Are you sure Gordon is off contract? I thought we signed him up last year. I hadn't heard trent was off either.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
The Mack said:
Who is off contract for Panthers at the end of the season?

I'm aware Trent Waterhouse, Mick Gordon, Peter Wallace & Joel Clinton are...

Who else?

Gordon re-signed last year.

We should re-sign the other 3 aswell.

Tommax25

Bench
well id defs re-sign gordon, he will only improve, especially goalkicking he's a little erratic at times for penrith, defs trent if hes off contract, defs peter wallace because hes young has a bright future and has played better than gower all year for pittance compared to hundred of thousands for gower, woudlnt re-sign rooney hasnt done anythign for years and i was neevr a fan to be honest, id re-sign aiton but depends on how much he demands because im happy with priddis at hooker for a few more years and he's an 80 minute playrr so penrith dont really need a reserve hooker (barring injury), defs joel clinton....id replace rooney with tate if possible i heard penrith were targetting him

Kilkenny

Coach
I would expect Aiton will be targetted by a few clubs, and I heard a whisper the Bulldogs are interested.

Unlike recent seasons where we have lost players due to our well documented salary cap problems that should not be such as problem this year. We should have no great problem retaining those players we really want to retain at the same time mindful of not paying overs.

Wallace is the best example, as I am far from convinced he is worth the sort of money some have been quoting on PI. Anything in excess of 125K for mine would be overs at this stage of his development and on field performances.

Big Mick

Referee
i'd give him max $150k...so we'll see.

Waterhouse and Gordon are not off contract.

Aiton, Clinton and Rooney are the big names off contract.

Aiton will leave for a regular starting spot imo....and the Dogs appears most likely.

I think Clinton will re-sign, as well as Rooney.

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick © said:
i'd give him max $150k...so we'll see.

Waterhouse and Gordon are not off contract.

Aiton, Clinton and Rooney are the big names off contract.

Aiton will leave for a regular starting spot imo....and the Dogs appears most likely.

I think Clinton will re-sign, as well as Rooney.

Time for some tough decisions.

If I were in charge or retention and recruitment I would not resign Luke Rooney.

In respect of Rooney he does not have the pace required in the modern game to create opportunies for himself. He needs others to do that for him. I am not disputing he does a great job bringing the ball back, but gee most wingers in the modern game do a good job bring the ball back out of there own 20. We need a winger with pace who can create offensive opportunities and put the opposition defence in two minds, something Rooney is not capable of offering.

Elliot needs to decide on a first choice hooker. An 80 minute player. We need to go back to four quality forwards off the bench, or alternatively 3 forwards and outside back. Our first choice hooker must play the 80 minutes. For mine I would settle or Aiton or Peters and release Priddis. He has been a great servant, but it's time to move on for the best.

The changes would not end with the above and there are others. The tough decisions need to be made, sooner rather than later.

mightypanther

Juniors

Priddis is still an 80 minute player...........if Elliott would let him.

Have you not seen how dirty he is every time Elliott makes him stay on the sideline?

He absolutely hates it, and he itches to be out there every second. We sit behind the bench, and the look on his face when he is off the field is like a death stare.

I believe that his game has suffered because of Elliott taking him off the field regularly. He plays much better when he is left on for the full 80 minutes. The break merely interferes with the rythmn of his game.

Kilkenny

Coach
mightypanther said:

Have you not seen how dirty he is every time Elliott makes him stay on the sideline?

He absolutely hates it, and he itches to be out there every second. We sit behind the bench, and the look on his face when he is off the field is like a death stare.

I believe that his game has suffered because of Elliott taking him off the field regularly. He plays much better when he is left on for the full 80 minutes. The break merely interferes with the rythmn of his game.

Don't get me wrong.

I think Luke Priddis is a terrific player, 80 minute player and a more committed player you wouldn't see.

I just look at our playing roster and clearly we aren't up to scratch. We are lacking in certain areas so how can we get the best out of what we have?

Play Craig Gower in the dummy half role and we will not lose anything. He can play the full 80 minutes. Get Wallace into half and bring in someone like Blair into 5/8 who has size, is quick and has good strength.

Go back to the John Lang days and have four big forwards coming off the bench as interchange. The two hookers just doesn't seem to work for us like it does for some other sides.

We are at the crossroads, this season is largely gone and in reality we are largely in a position where we are about seeing who should be retained for next. (Please note I have lnot lost all hope of making the eight but one has to be realistic and it's just not happening)

mightypanther

Juniors

I bellieve that we have already blooded enough youngsters for one season. Some of those promotions have been forced........some not.

But unless it is a forced change through injury, I really don't think we should be blooding any more youngsters just for the sake of seeing how they might go compared to those already in the side.

And I really can't see what positives could come from trying to change Gower back into a hooker at this late stage of his career. With both Priddis and Aiton we have enough talent for that spot at this stage.

In the next few weeks we will have enough problems covering injuries and possible judiciary changes, without making positional changes to the regular players who are still fit on top of that.

Our main problems have been dropping the ball WAY too much, giving away penalties, soft tries from missed tackles, and a poor kicking game.

I think Gower's game today, both in leading the team around and in kicking was much better than in previous weeks, and I believe that he and Wallace worked much better together today.

I also believe that all the guys gave much more today in effort, enthusiasm, and playing for the full 80 minutes.

But what killed the game for us today......and I don't believe it was the injuries.......was them still dropping the ball at crucial times (on a dry field, with a dry ball no less), and some bad passes at crucial times, with the odd crucial missed tackles that led directly to tries.

These are team faults, not those of individual players. They have been taking turns to make these mistakes, it is not the domain of only one or two particular players.

I say at this stage they should only make changes that are absolutely necessary, (especially while there is so much injury), and concentrate most of their training efforts on practising the art of holding onto the ball.

They keep dropping the ball on so many sets (quite often in perfect field position for the opposition), and they will not will football games. Hang onto the ball, especially when in their own half of the field, and they will have much more opportunities to rack up the wins.

I hope that they will soon find that magical knack to holding onto the ball (practise makes perfect maybe), and then we can watch them start putting a few wins together. Even if they can't make the eight, I would simply be happy with them competing (while hanging onto the ball TIGHTLY) and sticking it to the opposition for the full 80 as they did today.

Fingers crossed. There is always hope.....not always for great results......but at least for 100% effort and commitment.

I know there are others who will probably disagree with me completely, and that's ok with me too.

Kilkenny

Coach
Mighty Panther,

Desperate times call for desparate measures.

The selected 17 have not been able to do the job and clearly some radical thinking needs to be done in relation to team selections.

Gowie to the hooking / dummy half role is really worth looking at. He is a proven performer in the role having fulfilled the role at all levels of the game.

Gowie is an 80 minute player so we can safely dispense with the second dummy half/hooker on the interchange bench.

Smith at lock allows flexibility in that he can revert to an outside back if necessary.

Likewise Blair at 5/8 ensures the same as he to can play in the outside backs.

We have to try something different as more of the same is clearly not going to do the business.

mightypanther

Juniors

Thanks PK.

Yeah, I don't think there's anything else I could add to it that would explain my thoughts any clearer, so I'll just leave it at that.

EzyG

Juniors
mightypanther said:

A few weeks back on a CH9 telecast game, Priddis had just come off replaced by Aiton. Aiton's first touch & he lost it about 30m out. The camera was on Priddis & he was shaking his head, he looked so very frustrated. The way he looked made me think there is some disunity in the ranks

mightypanther

Juniors

I think it's more just a case of hating to be taken off at all that bothers Priddo more than anything else.

He is used to being on the field every minute of every game.......and that's how he likes it.

And nobody hates mistakes and losing more than Priddo and Gower. They are both incredibly passionate players.

Latest posts