What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-Contractees- Who to Sign, Who to let go.

Listen as said in an NRL thread, it is early on in the season but who should be re-signed, who are coming off-contract this season.

My Opinion:

Tom Learoyd-Lahrs: Raiders to start contract negotiations in Rd 7 or Rd 8. A Must to be Re-Signed.

Nigel Plum: Good form WILL see him with a new contract. Deserves one.

Scott Logan: Probably retire but who knows. He is a great player and could go on.

Phil Graham: Time to go unless re-captures form of early career

Daniel Vidot: Sign Him. Great NYC player.

Brad Cross: Maybe for depth. Won't be punching a hole through the wall if he goes

Daniel Joyce: Got some great potential, sign him for depth.

*Source of Off Contract Players: Greenhouse

Also we should be looking at players coming off at the end of 2010. Re-Sign the bolded players THIS SEASON:

Terry Campese
Glen Buttriss
Justin Carney
Trevor Thurling
Alan Tongue
Marc Herbert
Dane Tilse
Glen Turner
Josh McCrone (back-up, but hopefully we sign a new halfbck)
Brett Kelly
Cy Lasscock
Shaun Fensom

TLL should be reigned asap , as to campo , need to upgrade his immediately.
Id say yes to Plum , graham , Vidot and Joyce who continues to get good wraps.

I agree 100% with your bolded selections.

sydraider

First Grade
I think we have to cut our losses with Graham, Too injury prone and would hate to lose one of these promising U20 outside backs.

Eastern Panther

Juniors
don't know why you'd want to resign mccrone. he was rubbish for the windsor wolves. it sort of speaks volumes when you're a half back at a club with no half backs yet you still can't get a game...

paulquinn49

Bench
Have to let "The Butt" go, he will only end up holding back Waddell as we didnt sign Flanno to play exclusively in SL. We need to keep big Cy aswell, I don't why though.

Timbo

Staff member
Brett Kelly is a priority re-sign.

Lock him up for 5 years minimum. Worth at least $550,000 a season.

Really can't afford to let a gem like him slip through our fingers.

Brett Kelly is a priority re-sign.

Lock him up for 5 years minimum. Worth at least $550,000 a season.

Really can't afford to let a gem like him slip through our fingers.

Are You Serious?:crazy::crazy::shock:

550k a year? He will be getting chased by clubs left, right and centre. We NEED to throw the kitchen sink at him maybe 700k a year.

You amaze me Timbo, we are competing by rich-ass clubs and will never get him by offering only 550k a season.

Jeez.

Timbo

Staff member
Are You Serious?:crazy::crazy::shock:

550k a year? He will be getting chased by clubs left, right and centre. We NEED to throw the kitchen sink at him maybe 700k a year.

You amaze me Timbo, we are competing by rich-ass clubs and will never get him by offering only 550k a season.

Jeez.

My mistake. You're completely right of course.

donkey|rope

Juniors
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs - Re-sign on an incentive based contract.

Nigel Plum: Re-sign is possible. Gives us a lot of depth and experience but will he want to stay? He'll probably be up at Souths Logan baring injury/suspension, so Plum will probably chase an ESL contract.

Scott Logan - Retire. We had to twist his arm just to get him to play this year.

Phil Graham: No. He's on fairly decent money and hasn't been on the park long enough to warrant a re-sign.

Daniel Vidot: Re-sign.

Brad Cross - No.

Daniel Joyce: Re-sign.

For 2010-
Terry Campese: Yes.
Glen Buttris: Maybe. Depends how much, he'll probably be in demand.
Justin Carney: I'm not a fan.
Trevor Thurling: Yes.
Alan Tongue: Yes.
Marc Herbert: Maybe. Depends if we can get a real half back.
Dane Tilse: Yes.
Glen Turner: No.
Josh McCrone: Maybe. Same deal as Herbert but they both can't stay.
Brett Kelly; No.
Cy Lasscock: Maybe.
Shaun Fensom: Maybe.

Tom Learoyd-Lahrs - Re-sign on an incentive based contract.

Nigel Plum: Re-sign is possible. Gives us a lot of depth and experience but will he want to stay? He'll probably be up at Souths Logan baring injury/suspension, so Plum will probably chase an ESL contract.

Scott Logan - Retire. We had to twist his arm just to get him to play this year.

Phil Graham: No. He's on fairly decent money and hasn't been on the park long enough to warrant a re-sign.

Daniel Vidot: Re-sign.

Brad Cross - No.

Daniel Joyce: Re-sign.

For 2010-
Terry Campese: Yes.
Glen Buttris: Maybe. Depends how much, he'll probably be in demand.
Justin Carney: I'm not a fan.
Trevor Thurling: Yes.
Alan Tongue: Yes.
Marc Herbert: Maybe. Depends if we can get a real half back.
Dane Tilse: Yes.
Glen Turner: No.
Josh McCrone: Maybe. Same deal as Herbert but they both can't stay.
Brett Kelly; No.
Cy Lasscock: Maybe.
Shaun Fensom: Maybe.

He was our gun forward last year in Toyota Cup and what I saw of him at SL he looks the goods again. He was very good last week. I would make it a must we resign him. There is no doubt in my mind that he will be a very good FGer.

Timbo

Staff member
I am so torn about Phil Graham.

He really could be another Mick Weyman if we let him go.

donkey|rope

Juniors
He was our gun forward last year in Toyota Cup and what I saw of him at SL he looks the goods again. He was very good last week. I would make it a must we resign him. There is no doubt in my mind that he will be a very good FGer.
Good point actually.
I'd say he's probably one of the players who'll make their own decision weather to stay of go on the strength of the other contracts offered to him.

Weyman has played all of 3 and a bit games. Some of you blokes act like he's won a Clive Churchill Medal, played 10 Origins and captained Australia. Get a grip. I'm sure he'll get injured and/or punch someone in the head and we can all breathe a sigh of relief. We've not missed Weyman one bit.

edabomb

First Grade

I reckon Phil is at the wrong side of his career to turn back the clock now though. 28 this season isn't he? He hasn't been the same since the injuries and it'd be a massive effort for him to stake a claim this season considering he went down with another one 60mins through the first game.

Timbo

Staff member
I guess that's true. I just remember the Phil Graham who debuted, god he was good. He had a great partnership forming with Jimmy Evans...Another great career destroyed by injury.

aussies1st

Staff member
Graham will have to work his way back up to first grade. If he can find form and stay injury free then no problem offering him a contract.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
You gotta feel for Phil Graham. A few years back he was on the cusp of Origin. Had his weaknesses in defence but his attack was sublime and his speed probably up there with jennings.

schnitzel

Juniors
I'm a Graham fan but to compare him to jennings :lol: Jennings in attack and defense is the best centre in the world at the moment. Now there's a guy I'd like to see in green...