What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official 2009 Toyota Cup Team of the Year

Pumba

First Grade
2009 Toyota Cup Team of the Year

NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, today said the Toyota Cup has established itself at the most professional junior development pathway in Australian sport as he announced the 2009 Toyota Cup Team of the Year.

Robert Lui (Wests Tigers), Travis Waddell (Canberra Raiders) Kieran Foran and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Manly Sea Eagles), Taioalo Vaivai (South Sydney Rabbitohs) and Siuatonga Likiliki (NZ Warriors) are among the stars of this year’s competition to win selection in the 2009 Toyota Cup Team of the Year.

They are also among the 100 players who have graduated from the Toyota Cup to the NRL in just two seasons as the national Under 20s competition continues to thrive with rising television audiences, a four-year broadcast deal and groundbreaking workplace and education opportunities.

The Toyota Cup’s status as a forum for trialing innovative rules will also continue this weekend with a trial of four-quarter football in the match between the Roosters and Cowboys, following on from trials of the two-referee system and experimental kicking rules in matches last season.

“The development pathway the Toyota Cup provides is the envy of other sports in terms of its professionalism, standard of play and the opportunities it offers for local kids to become local heroes,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said.

“It is the only elite junior competition in the country that has national television coverage and each week it gives our fans a preview of who will be the future stars of our game.

“What is also significant is that this competition is helping give young players life skills outside of football through a commitment to education and workplace opportunities unrivalled in other sports.

“Congratulations to the players who have been named in the 2009 Toyota Cup Team of the Year and best of luck to all those clubs competing in the upcoming finals series.”

The 2009 Toyota Cup Team of the Year – voted for by the 16 Toyota Cup coaches – features eight players who have played in the NRL this season, with eight clubs represented in the 17-man squad.

It also features a cross-section of the education and workplace opportunities being undertaken by 98% of players in the competition, including traineeships at Australia Post, as development and community officers, apprenticeships in carpentry, landscaping and scaffolding, plus diploma studies in sport and recreation.

Each member of the Toyota Cup Team of the Year will receive a $2000 education grant in addition to the grants clubs already receive for education and workplace training.

The Toyota Cup Player of The Year will be named during Fox Sports’ telecast of next Tuesday’s (September 8) Dally M Awards at Sydney’s State Theatre, while the player of the Grand Final will receive the Jack Gibson Medal.

“Toyota Cup has once again proven to be more than a fertile breeding ground for talent,” said Mr Soames Treffry, Director, Fox Sports Channels.

“Already names like Daniel Mortimer, Josh Dugan, Jamal Idris and Wade Graham have graduated to become regular first graders this year, just to name a few. If you like plenty of points and pure speed in Rugby League, this competition delivers like no other."

As part of its ongoing commitment to working for the community, Toyota is a dedicated partner of the Toyota Cup Under 20s competition.

Toyota’s Manager of Sponsorship and Promotions, Mr Wayne Gabriel, said that Toyota is thrilled to support young NRL talent in such an important and meaningful way.

“The Toyota Cup is an important stepping stone for young players and Toyota is thrilled to assist in providing this leg up,” Mr Gabriel said.

“What’s important to us is that the competition is not just about on-field activity, but instead aims to develop well-rounded individuals through varied education programs.

“Through their involvement players are equipped with the skills necessary to cope with the pressures and media spotlight placed upon them at the highest levels of the game.”

Toyota is also a proud partner of One Community’s Toyota Monster Raffle, assisting local clubs raise much-needed funds for internal activities, and the One Community Toyota Volunteer of the Year Award, which recognises volunteers who have made a significant contribution to the game.

Fullback:
Malcolm Webster (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

Wingers:
Joe Vickery (St George Illawarra Dragons) & Drury Low (Canberra Raiders)

Centres:
Taioalo Vaivai (South Sydney Rabbitohs) & Siuatonga Likiliki (New Zealand Warriors)

Five-Eighth:
Robert Lui (Wests Tigers)

Halfback:
Beau Henry (St George Illawarra Dragons)

Front Row Forwards:
Trent Merrin (St George Illawarra Dragons) & Jesse Bromwich (Melbourne Storm)

Hooker:
Travis Waddell (Canberra Raiders)

Second Rowers:
Jake Marketo (St George Illawarra Dragons) & Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Manly Sea Eagles)

Lock:
Jamie Buhrer (Manly Sea Eagles)

Interchange:
Kieran Foran (Manly Sea Eagles)
Joel Romelo (Penrith Panthers)
Gareth Widdop (Melbourne Storm)
Daly-Cherry Evans (Manly Sea Eagles)

NRL.COM

Last edited:

pixi

Juniors
Pumba thanks for that information, i've been waiting all day to hear how the St George Boys went. How great to get all four in.

Iafeta

Referee
Johnson must have shagged the daughters of each of the other 15 coaches.

23 appearances
15 tries
43 try assists (first by 9 assists)
15 line breaks
25 line break assists
1600 more kicking metres than the next best

Fair dinkum, turn it up!

Deetroy72

Juniors
Having watched many Manly U 20's this year especially in Sydney against most of the Toyota Cup squads I have no hesitation in putting Darcy Lussick (Manly) ahead of Jared Waerea Hargreaves in the second row - he and Marketo would be my 2nd row

Iafeta

Referee
Jake Mullayne can feel damn hard done by also. Simon Dwyer is an odd omission at best. You can barely stop the bloke from offloading, he's a freak.

Two absolutely appalling omissions are Jake Mullaney & Kane Morgan.

Waera-Hargreaves isn't in the Top 5 second-rowers based on form this season. Shocking call for that. I agree with everyone Darcy Lussick deserved it all season.

Not sure about Travis Waddell either, I would of given it based on the back half of the season to James Segeyaro without a doubt.

Johnson should of got in before Henry as well.

Overall pretty shocking team imo, A few that are so far wrong it's not funny.

I would of went with
Fullback: Jake Mullaney
Wing: Joe Vickory
Centre: Junior Vai Vai
Centre: Siuatonga Likiliki
Wing: Kane Morgan
5/8: Robert Lui
Halfback: Shaun Johnson
Prop: Trent Merrin
Hooker: James Segeyaro
Prop: Siosasa Va Ve
Second Row: Jake Marketo
Second Row: Darcy Lussick
Lock: Jamie Buhrer

Bench: (Based on usual one prop, two second rowers and a utility back)
Jessie Bromwich, Jason Schirnack, Gareth Widdop, Simon Dwyer

playdaball

Bench
What happens with this team now?

- do they play?
- do they get some reward?
- are they tomorrow night fish and chip wrappers?
- prestige of being named in the Toyota Cup XVII !

Pumba

First Grade
What happens with this team now?

- do they play?
- prestige of being named in the Toyota Cup XVII !

I will try and answer your questions.

- do they play?
For their clubs this weekend and finals if they make it. As far as I know, No special match has been scheduled.

As far as I know. Only what was mentioned in the article.

Each member of the Toyota Cup Team of the Year will receive a $2000 education grant in addition to the grants clubs already receive for education and workplace training.
Maybe, Maybe Not.

prestige of being named in the Toyota Cup XVII !
In the 2nd ever Toyota Cup Team of the Year yes.

Some great talents are going to be named in these Toyota Cup Teams of the Years IMO. Some already have been.

Jono078

Referee
Just for interest purposes, does anyone know last years Toyota Cup team of the year?

EDIT: Found it

Fullback: Lachlan Coote (Penrith Panthers)
Wing: Jharal Yow Yeh (Brisbane Broncos)
Centre: Justin Carney (Canberra Raiders)
Centre: Tony Williams (Parramatta Eels)
Wing: Kevin Gordon (Gold Coast Titans)
Five-Eighth: Ben Barba (Bulldogs)
Half-back: Chris Sandow (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Prop: Russell Packer (Warriors)
Hooker: Masada Iosefa (Penrith Panthers)
Prop: John Kite (Bulldogs)
Second Row: Joel Thompson (Canberra Raiders)
Second Row: Daniel Harrison (Bulldogs)
Lock: Shaun Fensom (Canberra Raiders)
Interchange: Ben Hunt (Brisbane Broncos), Matt Mundine (St George Illawarra Dragons), Jordan Rapana (Gold Coast Titans), Ben Matulino (Warriors)

Amazing, 90% of them are regulars in first grade now. I don't think the 2009 team would be able to top that one.

Last edited:

sando88

Not a Moderator
um tigers 4th in comp and we got one in the team good work lui altho we not one man team wtf is with this bias against tigers from all selectors !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two absolutely appalling omissions are Jake Mullaney & Kane Morgan.

Waera-Hargreaves isn't in the Top 5 second-rowers based on form this season. Shocking call for that. I agree with everyone Darcy Lussick deserved it all season.

Not sure about Travis Waddell either, I would of given it based on the back half of the season to James Segeyaro without a doubt.

Johnson should of got in before Henry as well.

Overall pretty shocking team imo, A few that are so far wrong it's not funny.

I would of went with
Fullback: Jake Mullaney
Wing: Joe Vickory
Centre: Junior Vai Vai
Centre: Siuatonga Likiliki
Wing: Kane Morgan
5/8: Robert Lui
Halfback: Shaun Johnson
Prop: Trent Merrin
Hooker: James Segeyaro
Prop: Siosasa Va Ve
Second Row: Jake Marketo
Second Row: Darcy Lussick
Lock: Jamie Buhrer

Bench: (Based on usual one prop, two second rowers and a utility back)
Jessie Bromwich, Jason Schirnack, Gareth Widdop, Simon Dwyer

not a big fan of a player who makes 100 metres a game and is leading tackler ??(Hyland ;-))

Vic Mackey

Referee
hylands sh*t, he wont get anywhere. you can find blokes like him anywhere

dwyer not getting picked is a joke, the bloke is near unstoppable in u/20s

andrew fifita monsters the nyc but i get the feeling he wont get far in the higher level

mullaney is only 17 i believe, id leave him in the 20s for another 2 years

Latest posts