What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFFICIAL - Changes to Obstruction Rule

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
CHANGES TO INTERPRETATION OF OBSTRUCTION
2:03 pm, May 1 2007

A phone hook up between NRL refereeing officials and NRL club coaches has recommended that referees continue to strongly police the issue of ‘decoy runners’ but that there should be changes to the ‘interpretations’ used to adjudicate ‘obstructions’ in the Telstra Premiership.

The conference call was unanimous in the view that ‘obstruction’ remained a challenging area for the game and one that would inevitably leave referees having to make subjective calls in determining whether defending teams are unfairly disadvantaged by the use of decoy runners.

It was accepted that the referees needed to remain strong in monitoring the use of decoy runners, rather than risk opening a flood gate that would allow ‘blocking plays’ to become a feature of the game.

Concerns around this area in the game last year led to a change in the interpretation of the rule which included situations in which players did not necessarily have to have made contact with the defensive line.

Referees will now place greater emphasis on whether they believe a defender has been impeded or not.

The coaches have in turn agreed that they need to accept the referee needs to be respected for having to make judgment calls in this area.

“There was genuine attempt from all parties last year to be more prescriptive and to provide clearer guidelines about the mechanics of what could and could not lead to an obstruction call,” Referees Coach Robert Finch said today.

“What we’ve agreed is that you can’t try and be too prescriptive and that coaches, players and fans have to accept that some things need to come down to the judgment of the referee or the video referee.

“There may still be some debate in this area, but for referees the deciding factor will be whether they believe a player who was in a position to make a tackle was impeded.”

The following amendments will be made to the 2007 Key Indicators:

KEY INDICATOR DEFINITION CHANGES 2007 – OBSTRUCTION

Point 1

Current interpretation:

“The ball carrier cannot run behind a decoy runner and gain an advantage regardless of any contact between the decoy and the defence”

This interpretation has been eliminated and the current interpretation as per the Laws of the Game will be enforced:

Section 2 Glossary –

“Obstruction is an illegal act of impeding an opponent who does not have the ball.”

Point 2

Current interpretation:

“It is the responsibility of the decoy runner/s NOT to interfere with the defending team.”

This interpretation remains with the following understanding:

“Any attacking player/s who is in front of the ball must make every endeavour not to interfere with the defending team.”

All other points set out in the 2007 Key Indicators remain unchanged.

Important Note:

In assessing whether obstruction has occurred the referee or video referee will make a judgment call as to whether any defender or defenders were prevented from getting to the ball carrier by the player or players from the attacking team who are in front of the ball.

Sources: http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=13585 and http://www.bulldogs.com.au/main.php?page=article&id=948

A step in the right direction IMO, while we will still see some inconsistencies due to the referee having to make a judgement, there will be less instances that this judgement will have to be made.

legend

Coach
Still, as soon as an attacking player runs into a defender, the defender will fall to the ground and the ref will have no choice but to rule in favour of the defending team.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Spot on - they've still left it wide, wide open. Absolute farce.

voltron

Juniors
I think the obstruction rule, although its made a huge hullabaloo
i think some positives have come out of it.
before when the ball went back behind the line, the attacking players would just stay where they are, creating obstacles for the defense to run around, through to get to the guy with the ball
in the last round, i noticed people think 'crap the obstruction rule' and move back, which also gives the guy with the ball more options to pass it.

i hope this change will give a little more clarity to players and refs
but it still will take a couple of rounds to iron out

This is a good move, though we need people up in the video refs box who understand footy.

Cleary Chris ward has absolutley no idea about footy having saw his performace on the weekend.

Perhaps some past players are hte best ones to judge whether a defender has been impeded or if they have just misread the play

sharko

Juniors
It is important that it is policed strictly as decoy runners were being actively coached to impede defences..I think Ricky Stuart used it extensively with the Roosters..I never approved of it and am glad action is being taken.

Azkatro

First Grade
The way I see it is that a lot of that is waxing lyrical. In short it is again up to the ref whether it was an obstruction (or more importantly, a defender was taken out clearly), like it used to be.

Azkatro

First Grade
The question I think I'm still left with actually is whether a bad read will still be rewarded - I hope not.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
There is a big difference between a player running into a defender and knocking them down, and a player running behind one of their own around 3-4 metres infront of the defence. In both cases it is now a penalty.

I don't know if this change will be enough, but IMHO it is damn better than the crap we have now.

_Johnsy

Referee
All this has done is go from one shade of grey to a similar shade only slightly different. What a waste of time. Nothing but a PR excercise.

Christmas Ape

Juniors
I've got a good way to clear it all up - the video ref can't rule on it.

They stopped the video ref interfering with strips etc. so why not add obstruction rulings to the list? If the onfield ref doesn't see it or deems the play legal, let it go.

Easy.

_Johnsy

Referee
Christmas Ape said:
I've got a good way to clear it all up - the video ref can't rule on it.

They stopped the video ref interfering with strips etc. so why not add obstruction rulings to the list? If the onfield ref doesn't see it or deems the play legal, let it go.

Easy.

A very simple effective method to stop the fugging around. It would also stop players taking the dives of the century see J Smith's effort last week.

innsaneink

Referee
waltzing Meninga said:
This is a good move, though we need people up in the video refs box who understand footy.

Cleary Chris ward has absolutley no idea about footy having saw his performace on the weekend.

Perhaps some past players are hte best ones to judge whether a defender has been impeded or if they have just misread the play

LOL...yeh right :roll:

Just look at the crap Jnr Pearce is copping for only commentationg, imagine the fuss if it was he disallowing those Warriors trys.

Or an ex manly player...Bozo...disallowing Parra trys

Im sure Craig Coleman would enjoy pressing the RED button when Craig Wing crossed for the Roosters against Souths

The Engineers Room

First Grade
If a player runs behind another player and the defence is impeded then it is a penalty.

I don't care about inside shoulders, outside shoulders or putting defending bodies infront.

If the decoy runner hits a defender, without the defender attempting to tackle him then penalty.

The situation where the defender runs infront of a decoy can be let go if the attacking decoy makes every effort not to impede or contact the defender. This means that after he moves past the point at which he is in front of the ball he diverts or stops to avoid contact.

Raider_69

Post Whore
for mine the ruling should be very simple

an obstruction occurs only if an attacking player without the ball takes out a defending player preventing him form making a legitimate attempt at a tackle.

This means if a defending player is taken out 15 yards off the ball, play on. If no player is impeeded then play on, only when a player close enough to make a tackle is impeeded should we see a penalty

RainMan

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
Still going to be a major drama and this change will not change anything

legend said:
Still, as soon as an attacking player runs into a defender, the defender will fall to the ground and the ref will have no choice but to rule in favour of the defending team.

Agree totally. Nothing has changed, except for the wording.

Latest posts