What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFFICIAL - Changes to Obstruction Rule

ozbash

Referee
“Any attacking player/s who is in front of the ball must make every endeavour not to interfere with the defending team.”

that player is off side, are they not supposed to be behind the ball.?

arnt the opposition supposed to be the only team in front of the ball carrier...

and they said it was a simple game ?

ManlyFan07

Juniors
Finch should compile a video of all the obstruction calls this year that have led to no tries (or in some cases a disputed try eg B. Stewart v Titans) and highlight which ones would be ok (ie no obstruction) and which would still be considered an obstruction under the new interpretation.

The Brett Stewart try against the Titans should be first cab off the rank to be ruled as a fair try in the future because Minichiello was in no way impeded by the decoy - which is obviously the line of thought video ref Steve Nash took - wrongly under the old interpretation, but hopefully correct now.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Christmas Ape said:
I've got a good way to clear it all up - the video ref can't rule on it.

They stopped the video ref interfering with strips etc. so why not add obstruction rulings to the list? If the onfield ref doesn't see it or deems the play legal, let it go.

Easy.
Brilliant - and so easy! :clap:

I'd take it a step further and give the video refs clear guidelines about what they can rule on - I'd suggest grounding and offside would be enough.

This would remove the farcical situations like last Saturday at Townsville where Matty Bowen had a try disallowed due to a knock-on on halfway. FFS, if the refs miss stuff like that then they shouldn't even be out there in the first place!!

meltiger

First Grade
Natalie's Daddy said:
If a player runs behind another player and the defence is impeded then it is a penalty.

I don't care about inside shoulders, outside shoulders or putting defending bodies infront.

If the decoy runner hits a defender, without the defender attempting to tackle him then penalty.

The situation where the defender runs infront of a decoy can be let go if the attacking decoy makes every effort not to impede or contact the defender. This means that after he moves past the point at which he is in front of the ball he diverts or stops to avoid contact.

:thumn Great post ND

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Christmas Ape said:
I've got a good way to clear it all up - the video ref can't rule on it.

They stopped the video ref interfering with strips etc. so why not add obstruction rulings to the list? If the onfield ref doesn't see it or deems the play legal, let it go.

Easy.

On a slightly different tangent to that - the VR can't rule on forward passes due to camera angles being discerning - why can VR rule on suspicious knockons in that vein? I.e. be the judge of forward or back?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
ozbash said:
“Any attacking player/s who is in front of the ball must make every endeavour not to interfere with the defending team.”

Only if the ball is lost or kicked do they become offside. What I am trying to say is that once the player can no longer legally gain possession of the ball they must make every effort to not impede defenders.

Paullyboy

Coach
ozbash said:

arnt the opposition supposed to be the only team in front of the ball carrier...

and they said it was a simple game ?

It would appear that you are a kiwi, and hence we expect a limited level of intelligence - but this just takes the cake.

Are you honestly trying to say that you think that no one from the team in possession is allowed in front of the ball carrier? If so, you are obviously one of these keyboard junkies who love posting but probably dont even watch rugby league.

melon....

Coach
Mason was recently quoted as saying the ridiculous rulings will cost someone a GF one day. Can we now go back and reverse the bullsh!t call on Minichiello's try in the 04 GF please Willie?

Knob.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What bullsh*t call? I watched that last night and the decoy runner stopped two players from getting access to Mini as he dodged and weaved.

This ruling doesn't abolish obstruction altogether moron... i mean melon.... Grow a brain.

Latest posts