What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Eels Team Round 21

Gronk

Staff member
MELBOURNE'S preparations for their NRL clash with Parramatta on Monday night have been rocked by a flu sweeping the playing group as well as coach Craig Bellamy. A croaky Bellamy fronted the media in Melbourne ahead of their match at Parramatta Stadium, where the Storm haven't won in five years.

Bellamy said their training had been disrupted this week.

"A few of them have been crook and missed our sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday and there's still a couple not 100 per cent,'' he said.

The coach said no-one had so far been ruled out of the game against the Eels, who are coached by former Storm assistant and New Zealand Test coach Stephen Kearney.

"Having the longer turnaround has helped us so we've still got three days to go, at this stage we expect everyone to play,'' Bellamy said.
Heading into the round on top of the NRL ladder, Melbourne, who have won their last eight games, named virtually the same side which steamrolled Brisbane 26-6.

Winger Matt Duffie, who injured his sternum in the warm-up of that game, has regained his starting spot.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...d-of-parra-clash/story-e6frfgbo-1226104300090

Gronk

Staff member
Bellamy not banking on Eels' Hayne gamble

Melissa Woods, David Beniuk

August 1, 2011

MONDAY NIGHT PREVIEW

MELBOURNE coach Craig Bellamy is unsure if Jarryd Hayne will make a great five-eighth but he's positive the Parramatta superstar will be a danger wherever plays.
Bellamy's ladder-leading Storm play the Eels on Monday night at Parramatta Stadium, where they haven't won since 2006. His former assistant, Stephen Kearney, has shifted former NSW State of Origin fullback Hayne to No.6 for the past three games and he is slowly warming to the new role.
The move was touted earlier this year by Blues coach Ricky Stuart, who left Hayne out of the Origin I side, suggesting his best position would be five-eighth.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Bellamy, a former NSW mentor himself, said only ''time will tell'' if Hayne could be as good at five-eighth as he has been at fullback.
''It doesn't matter where Jarryd Hayne lines up, he's very dangerous with the footy and he's certainly one guy … you need to keep a real good eye on.''
Bellamy conducted a similar experiment, moving the game's best centre Greg Inglis to five-eighth in 2007. The switch was widely criticised but Inglis won the Clive Churchill Medal in that year's grand final in the No.6 jersey.
Bellamy said there were different circumstances behind that move.
''We had a couple of pretty good centres in Matt King and Israel Folau and a reasonable fullback in Billy Slater so it was trying to fit our best 17 into the team,'' he said.
''I know it's been deemed probably a bit of a failure playing him there but he won the Clive Churchill Medal. I think Greg Inglis is a bit like Jarryd Hayne; wherever he plays, I think he'll do a pretty good job.''
Asked if he expects a fired-up Hayne following last weekend's nightclub incident, which reportedly included a head-butt, Bellamy joked: ''I suppose our guys will be keeping their heads away from his head after last week.''
Kearney learnt all about the master-apprentice scenario in the round five 38-0 flogging at AAMI Park in April and will be desperate to exact revenge.
Bellamy did spare a thought for the New Zealand Test coach, saying bad luck had contributed to the Eels' disappointing season, particularly last week when they became the first club to lose two consecutive games in golden point.
The Storm will be in the box seat for the minor premiership with a victory, which would send them four points clear of second-placed Manly.
AAP
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ayne-gamble-20110731-1i6iy.html#ixzz1TiWcPfRH

Gronk

Staff member
Parra speed dearth centre of attention
  • Christian Nicolussi
EELS officials must have been tempted a long time ago to hoist their No.3 and No.4 jumpers high up a flagpole and set them alight.

Tonight Ben Smith and Justin Horo will become the club's 11th centre pairing this season - the highest turnover of centres by any NRL club.

The outside backs headache for incoming coach Stephen Kearney began in November when Timana Tahu was cut loose.

In December, Joel Reddy had shoulder surgery and Eric Grothe called it quits.

During the year newcomers Chris Walker and Paul Whatuira hung up the boots, Reddy suffered a pectoral injury, followed by Ryan Morgan and Jacob Loko.

Reni Maitua was given a game in the centres, as was Jordan Atkins, before Kearney resorted to back-rowers Smith and Horo.

As one Parramatta official quipped yesterday: "We've had more combos than a Maccas menu."

Even though centre Esi Tonga will come on board next year - and negotiations are advanced with Willie Tonga - Smith and Horo are ready for the challenge against injury-hit Melbourne.

The Storm have lost five-eighth Gareth Widdop to an elbow injury. Centre Maurice Blair, who would have measured up against Horo, is likely to wear the No.6. Sika Manu (leg), winger Matt Duffie (sternum) and Rory Kostjayson are in serious doubt.

The Eels have the bigger concerns, forcing Smith and Horo to play out of position.

"I guess with all the injuries we've had it goes to show the depth isn't quite there this year," Smith said. "But we've got confidence in ourselves and you get on with it.

"There's no point making excuses. The forwards have barely had any injuries this year, but the outside backs have had plenty - the most I've seen during my time at the club.

"I started out at centre, and even though I prefer back-row because of the involvement and workload, I'll play wherever the coach needs me."

Smith would love to help the Eels cause an upset against Melbourne and secure a much-deserved triumph for skipper Nathan Hindmarsh in his first game back at Parramatta Stadium since his 300th game milestone.

Horo, like Smith, never expected to find himself in the centres at this stage of the season but is prepared to roll up his sleeves opposite in-form Storm centre Maurice Blair.

"Benny and I have played there in the past and I'm slowly getting used to it," Horo said.

"Steve told me I'd be playing there after the Broncos game and Jacob Loko went down. The centre and second-rower play 5m apart, and basically the only real difference is you time your run more off the fullback rather than the five-eighth.

"Your defensive work is also cut down by 10 or 15 tackles, so you get that extra energy to get in and take a few more hit-ups."

Eels fullback Luke Burt was a late arrival to training yesterday following a minor prang with a learner driver.

The Storm, who have enjoyed plenty of heated battles with the Eels, have had a 10-day break since they beat Brisbane at home.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...tre-of-attention/story-e6frfgbo-1226105607660

Gronk

Staff member
Melbourne Storm centre Maurice Blair is pivotal in mix NEWLY re-signed Melbourne Storm centre Maurice Blair has been moved to five-eighth for the clash with Parramatta after Gareth Widdop was one of four withdrawals.

Widdop has an elbow injury, while Matt Duffie (sternum), Sika Manu (hamstring) and Rory Kostjasyn (ankle) were also ruled out.
Duffie has been replaced by Fijian flyer Sisa Waqa, with centre Beau Champion and backrowers Atelea Vea and Robbie Rochow also brought into the side.

It will be Rochow's first game this season.
"We'd be hopeful that all of them should be available for next week's clash with Penrith," Storm football manager Frank Ponissi said.
Coach Craig Bellamy was aware of the withdrawals on Friday and his team had two training sessions together.
That included two sessions at five-eighth for Blair, who starts for the 11th straight week. It is a huge turnaround for Blair, who was almost on the scrapheap last season.
Overweight and under-motivated, Blair, 26, spent the season in Penrith's NSW Cup squad.
It was a major fall from grace after he was on the fringe of State-of-Origin selection for Queensland in 2008.
The powerful ball runner said he had no idea about nutrition before landing at Storm, but he has shed 10kg and found his confidence.
"Doubts started creeping in to my mind about getting back into first grade at Penrith," Blair said.
"That's why I backed myself to come down here, have a fresh start, work hard and try to get back to where I was.
"I did a fair bit of running in the pre-season, lost some kilos, changed my diet a bit, that's all on track now.
"I worked really hard and now I'm getting the rewards.
"I think we've got a good squad here now and, 12 months down the track, I think we'll be even better. I didn't want to leave that."
Blair had looked set to start the season as Storm's five-eighth, only to be injured before the final trial.
Widdop starred while Blair waited for his chance.
It eventually came in the centres, where Blair played one of his best games last week against Brisbane, and scored two tries.
"That's footy. I've played half and half my entire career, five-eighth and centre," Blair said.
"But I got a chance, got a bit of form in the centres. I'm enjoying it out there."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...s-pivotal-in-mix/story-e6frfgbo-1226105571161

Latest posts