What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official missed tackles. For SLE

black_dot

Juniors
You are criticising him purely on defence Reefy. AT the ground last night, ground level, you could see the entire backline, not just scott, sh*tting themselves waiting for joey to switch it to their side. I called three tries through simmo before the play even switched, you could hear the knights calling it and you could see peach, bails and noddy coaching simmons, telling him to get ready, then you could see and watch it happen in slow motion. The same went for the other side of the park, our left side.

What about Scotts ball carry and attack ? you havent commented much on that, just seem intent on picking him for his defence. He's not the only centre to miss tackles this year mate, and like I said, he comes in, rushes and hits em, thats better then slapping on the back when they waltz through.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
i didnt say discredit them
I said that mellars is better than him statistically even with those.
Mellor is definitely better.

But now we go to the rust.

its the way he looks. he runs with purpose? Geezuz , he just runs. Same as any other player.

If any of you think that I am anti Scott, you are wrong. I know he possibly will turn into an OK centre. He will never be outstanding, but will be OK.

But the thing is the problem with our club. Devisiveness & inconsistency. Causes rust. Causes factions. Brings out people like Pogo into management or board positions.
then it worsens.
We need less people like Pogo, who is already gone thankfully, & more reliable, straight faced, straight talking people who follow their own guidelines or rules.

roboshark

Coach
black_dot said:
You are criticising him purely on defence Reefy. AT the ground last night, ground level, you could see the entire backline, not just scott, sh*tting themselves waiting for joey to switch it to their side. I called three tries through simmo before the play even switched, you could hear the knights calling it and you could see peach, bails and noddy coaching simmons, telling him to get ready, then you could see and watch it happen in slow motion. The same went for the other side of the park, our left side.

What about Scotts ball carry and attack ? you havent commented much on that, just seem intent on picking him for his defence. He's not the only centre to miss tackles this year mate, and like I said, he comes in, rushes and hits em, thats better then slapping on the back when they waltz through.

I was high in the eastern stand and you could see exactly that- none of them had much idea when johns had ball in hand

black_dot

Juniors
blacktip-reefy said:
i didnt say discredit them
I said that mellars is better than him statistically even with those.
Mellor is definitely better..

Better statistically, that's all, and you are right, I ahvent seen the stats but if you say he is better I believe that...Statistically. Not many coaches pick players on stats mate, infact, I don't know one that does and I know a few.

blacktip-reefy said:
its the way he looks. he runs with purpose? Geezuz , he just runs. Same as any other player. .

You aren't serious mate ? So all players....." just run" ....no different , no better, he just runs. are you on the drink mate ? cause that is a least credible thing you've posted on here for a long long time.

Come to a trial with me in the next few weeks for the young blokes , you'll see some very very good footy heads choose the next lockyers, meningas and Daleys from the way blokes run, their intent and their physical nature, One thing I can guarantee is that they will not be looking at the blokes stats from the games they are playing, or have played.

blacktip-reefy said:
But the thing is the problem with our club. Devisiveness & inconsistency. Causes rust. Causes factions. Brings out people like Pogo into management or board positions.
then it worsens.
We need less people like Pogo, who is already gone thankfully, & more reliable, straight faced, straight talking people who follow their own guidelines or rules.

I'm lost here, can't see how you've drawn an arguement about B Scotts ability, a good topic and arguement and good debate, and forged it into a weird piece about factions, devisiveness etc . I know you seem to have a big problem with Pogo but how Scotts form and ability relates is beyond me.

The problems at the club you seem to be hinting at are something I probably agree with, but let's not blur this debate about scott with it, happy to give my thoughts in another thread if you want to start one and talk a bit more about this last bizarre paragraph of yours :)

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Scott looks like a good winger. Mellars a wide running second rower.
Goldy looks like a rah rah.
I would swap Scott and Covell around.
Covell can offload and Scott can finish.
I also like the idea of Scott returning kicks as he can break a tackle.
Mellor has problems playing 80mins.
Left centre remains a problem.
1 Hooker for 80 required.
Rotate the 2nd rowers so they are always fresh.

Sideline Eye

Juniors
Thanks for the tread Reefy!!!!
Scott has potential, yes he makes mistake, so which of our coaching staff might spend a little time developing his game???? Because no-one is doing it at the moment.
A little extra coaching might help the other new comers to first grade develop into more than just average first graders.

Special K

Coach
Mr Angry said:
Scott looks like a good winger. Mellars a wide running second rower.
I would swap Scott and Covell around.
Covell can offload and Scott can finish.
I also like the idea of Scott returning kicks as he can break a tackle.
Good logic - I like it the more I think about it. Only problems would be high balls for Scott but that can be taught. Maybe an off season project could be to develop he or Mellars for a wing spot.

Since Zeus is not going to be our 4 the only other person who it should be is Mellars. Mellars if given the same chances as a David Simmons would be a very handy player for us with a season under his belt in the NRL. Not just 2 games as a centre and 2 off the bench I think it was? Scott is handy but he is rusty as and not a first grader just yet.

Any news on where Zeus will be playing next season? The frenchies or we'll he be a sharkie playing in a different position to where he has before in firsts?

The Popper

Bench
Scott gets a lot too, Blacktip. IMO he has a higher than normal involvement. This means he makes a lot of attempts so naturally he's bound to have a few misses. Same with Noddy, his involvement rate is sky high, so his failure rate is high. I'd rather have a bloke who continually gets involved than a lazy bludger with a low workrate. e.g. I'd rather have a bloke who attempts 25 and misses 7, than a bloke who attempts 4 and misses 2.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Probably the same ones that helped, Goldy & mellars along with their games.
All 3 players have potenital.
goldy & Mellars are multiple try scorers & line breakers against good teams, not manly.
Melllor is the best in defense & metres from dummy half.

& dot, why did I draw club issues in here with a thread about missed tackles?(not Scott).?

I did that because I highlighted some stats that are possibly the heart of the problem at Cronulla.
Best person for the job, in every department football or club admin.
Promotion is reward for excellent performance. Demotion is punishment for poor effort/performance.
Nobody should be exempt.
the San francisco 49'ers had 3 high quality 1/4 backs in their books one season. They played their 3rd string due to excellent performance.
At that stage, Joe montanna was rated as the number 1 in the game, yet Steve Young kept him out. Thats what gets clubs winning.

imasharkie

Coach
a different view from someone else popper. thats the player i want in our team too. and he's aggresive with his defence.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The Popper said:
Scott gets a lot too, Blacktip. IMO he has a higher than normal involvement. This means he makes a lot of attempts so naturally he's bound to have a few misses. Same with Noddy, his involvement rate is sky high, so his failure rate is high. I'd rather have a bloke who continually gets involved than a lazy bludger with a low workrate. e.g. I'd rather have a bloke who attempts 25 and misses 7, than a bloke who attempts 4 and misses 2.
I would not have any player in the team that misses 7 from 25.
If every player was like that, the entire team , missing 30% of their tackles, the team would average 90 missed tackles a week.
Thats high even for cronulla standards.
A player who attempts 25 & misses 7, whould be in PL getting fixed.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Why don't people just stop talking around the point by using the old "stats are not accurate" cliche

I'll simplify the question on reefy's behalf.

Should a player who let in 3 tries be retained? Don't worry if he missed 3 tackles, 7 tackles or 17 tackles.

Fact is he let in 3 tries.

I have to agree with reefy. You'd all be screaming for blood if it was anyone else.

I can see this building into another Simmo type myth. Scott has done NOTHING yet people. NOTHING. He's only shown potential.

People have been dropping off the Simmo bandwagon week by week here. Those same people should probably not of gotten caught up in it so soon based on a few good deeds and very few good games.

Maintain the objectivity folks.

Let in 3 tries. Let in 3 tries. Let in 3 tries.

Let in sink in before replying. Semis are coming. Does his attacking potential justify a spot in a semi side when is defence is so poor.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I can simplify further

What should the three quarter line look like?

Captain thought reefy was wrong once, but he was wrong about that.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
roboshark said:
cjs- have you ever disagreed with reefy??

Weren't around for the Frenzy/reefy wars huh?

Yes I do often disagree with reefy. We just don't turn it into a circus like others have to do to advance an argument :)

The other thing is we both have football backgrounds and see the game from a similar view.

Unlike many here who are jersey fans and see nothing wrong with anything in the club and or any of it's employees, including players. It's all part of the disease.

Short memory Mr Angry? You were here for the war :)

White Poiner

Coach
Well, drop him then. Put mellars in, i reckon he is the best centre option we have got. Or put covell in the centres and mellars on the wing.
If mellars then concides a few trys drop him. Its that simple

However, it would not help the team with changes just before finals time. But if the changes are needed they should be done now because time is running out fast for the team to get ready.

black_dot

Juniors
LOL come on captain, you and reefy are no more from "footy backgrounds" than many others here, no need to try and belittle other fans as " jersey" fans just because they disagree with the kray twins opinion on B Scott . :)