What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Smartphone App

Bricey

Juniors
Just wondering if there is a reason why we dont have one? I have roarcast on my phone, but from what I understand that is owned and managed by weststigersforum.com and not the club

News updates, player profiles, public transport info for to and from the game, video's linked from nrl.com and perhaps a little flick goal kicking game would be perfect.

Juniors
The eels had one. During one of the games it had Nathan Hindmarsh on GPS with live on screen stats such as tackles, metres run, g force etc. it also showed his field position on screen and had all the other stuff u mentioned. Was quite cool.

Not sure why I wrote in past tense but not bothered changing it.

moltznmarshall

Juniors
They cost a lot to build, especially if you are doing one for both apple and android (it's essentially like building two completely separate apps). The club just might not see the benefit in forking out the cash

Bricey

Juniors
They cost a lot to build, especially if you are doing one for both apple and android (it's essentially like building two completely separate apps). The club just might not see the benefit in forking out the cash

I take on board your point, however I personally think the club needs to a risk V reward analysis for the app.

Given that there has been several times over the last few seasons that the marketing department has failed to connect with the fans (claws missing off 2011 season members logo is a great case in point), an app where the fans can obtain information that is not available anywhere else would be fantastic.

even if only 50% of members from last season downloaded and used the app, that would mean that there would be over 4500 downloads. 4500 people getting the information from the club directly into thier hands instantly. Going back to my original point, if a fansite can achieve an app, why cant the club?

As a member and a fan of the tigers, I look at what other clubs marketing departments can achieve and shake my head at what comes out from the concord front office.

Risk: Capital outlay for a product that can only be judged as a success post development and release.

Reward: -Directly provide information to consumers of the product
-Ensure that all information released is correct, and not speculative
-Gives fans of the club the feeling that the club is moving forward off the field, not resting on past achievments

Bricey

Juniors
after looking in the itunes app store and doing a little research, 2 points jump out as well.

1. 13 of 16 NRL clubs have official apps. Tigers, Titans and Souths being the only 3 clubs that don't. That is more that a 75%/25% ratio of those with to those without.

2. We are the only club that made the the finals in 2011 without one.

moller

Juniors
Given that there has been several times over the last few seasons that the marketing department has failed to connect with the fans (claws missing off 2011 season members logo is a great case in point)

Claws missing = failing to connect with fans?
You'll have to explain that one to me.

Bricey

Juniors
Claws missing = failing to connect with fans?
You'll have to explain that one to me.

I used it as point to highlight the fact that the marketing department got it wrong. Members are encouraged to get on board and support the team, put our money where out mouth is so to speak.

From where I am sitting, the members logo from season 2011 was a rushed job and it was only discovered to late that the claws were missing. I note that they make a return for season 2012.

By not picking up the mistake and leaving the claws off for the entire 2011 season shows a lack of respect to the very people you are trying to encourage, the fans. The claws are part of the tigers logo and should have been there from the start..... I dont see St George or the broncos providing there members with only 1/2 a logo.

Perhaps using the phrase "failure to connect with fans" was a mistake in this case, however I do remember that there was quite a deal of discussion about it at the time the logo was released. The point I am trying to raise with both the smartphone app and the Members logo for 2011 is that the tigers marketing department is 1 of 2 things. Either unable to promote themselves and the club to the same level as every other NRL club can, or they have no internal review system where by the same mistakes continue to be made time and time again.

Again, using other clubs as a guide, the bulldogs provide players with a comemorative jumper whenever they play a milestone game. 1st NRL match, 50, 100 whatever the occation is. There was a case early in the year last season where on of our players was playing a milestone match (I believe it was gareth Ellis's 50th, but happy to be proved wrong) and no special jumper. Every other club does it..... why cant we?

Same rationale on the smartphone app. Every other club has one, why cant we? (aside from titans and souths as previously posted)

and if i can quote our captain from a few seasons back where we played all 3 QLD sides in 3 weeks and the club promoted it as a mini state of origin "We have the worst marketing department in the world.... fair dinkum"