What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Team v Bulldogs

Joker's Wild

Coach
Roberts returns to NRL

20/03/2012 1:20:41 PM
The Hunter Ports Newcastle Knights have today named an 18-man extended team for their Round 4 game against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.

Into the side comes Junior Sa’u, Tyrone Roberts and Zane Tetevano.

Sa’u replaces the injured Wes Naiqama, who today had surgery on his knee, whilst Roberts returns from a fractured eye socket to take his place in the starting line-up.

The Knights have named five on the interchange bench, including Tetevano who has played the last three weeks in the NSW Cup.

Kurt Gidley remains sidelined with a shoulder injury and Buderus is captain in his absence.

Knights centre Timana Tahu will play his 100th game for the Club this Sunday.

Round 4 Team List:

1. Darius Boyd
2. James McManus
3. Timana Tahu
4. Junior Sa’u
5. Akuila Uate
6. Tyrone Roberts
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Kade Snowden
9. Danny Buderus (c)
10. Adam Cuthbertson
11. Chris Houston
12. Zeb Taia
13. Neville Costigan

Interchange:
14. Matt Hilder
15. Richie Fa’aoso
16. Joel Edwards
17. Alex McKinnon
18. Zane Tetevano

IN: Sa’u, Roberts, Tetevano
OUT: Naiqama (knee), Filipo

Linkidink

RABK

Referee
Excited to see Roberts back, i think he offers a lot more than Stig and certainly Hilder at 5/8.

Good to see Zane rewarded and hopefully is in our final 17 at the expense of i don't care.

Cuthbo is due to do something to earn that starter jumper.

RABK

Referee
Also interesting to see Sau or Tahu on the right. It'll be a first for either them to play right centre in FG?

billy2

Juniors
Roberts showed in the trials that he is super fit and ready to play.

A fractured eye socket will not have hurt his fitness at all.

Good to see Tets on the extended bench, but if he is cover for Cuthbo i think Tui would have been a better choice.

Frederick

Staff member
This is Tahu's 100th game? Feels like he's played much more than that for us

perverse

Referee
yeah, Tetevano could replace anyone in the pack bar Snowy and i'd be pretty happy. my personal preference would be in for Edwards... purely for the fact that we need to go hard up the middle, and i feel that Eddy is the least effective.

Big Tim

First Grade
I wonder if House or Zeb will be Tyrone's protector.....

Something we need to work on as he will be targeted more than the Bronx targeted Mullo.

RABK

Referee
This is Tahu's 100th game? Feels like he's played much more than that for us

Really? Seems like he played less to me.

I recall him having full seasons in 2001 and 2002 but i remember him been injured a bit in 2003 and missing a shitload of 2004. Considering he debuted in 1999 i think my memory exaggerates just how injury prone he was in his 5 years with us.

perverse

Referee
it would have to be House. i don't think Zeb is in a position to take on a hitman roll at this stage, he's gotta work on improving his own game.

it surprises me that Zeb has kept his spot this long, to be honest. it's not like we don't have other back row options. he may well be giving him every opportunity to get back to his best.

billy2

Juniors
yeah, Tetevano could replace anyone in the pack bar Snowy and i'd be pretty happy. my personal preference would be in for Edwards... purely for the fact that we need to go hard up the middle, and i feel that Eddy is the least effective.
Tets hasn't trained or played as a prop this year.
We have Costigan, House, Eddy or Tets who could step up to play prop, but we are down to two guys who have been playing prop if Cuthbo can't play.

RABK

Referee
Anyone else think Roberts could be a smokescreen ala Stig last week and we see Hilder play 5/8 and Tets onto the bench?

otori

Juniors
Anyone know how long Wes is out for? I'm excited to see Roberts play again and hopefully hell be able to weave through the big Dogs forwards late in the game. Well have two halves with dangerous running games so hopefully our players have been working on their off the ball support play

Jono078

Referee
Anyone else think Roberts could be a smokescreen ala Stig last week and we see Hilder play 5/8 and Tets onto the bench?
Why because that worked so well last week?

Id be pissed if that happened, and I don't think Bennett is stupid enough to play Hilder at 5/8th again.

Joker's Wild

Coach
it would have to be House. i don't think Zeb is in a position to take on a hitman roll at this stage, he's gotta work on improving his own game.

it surprises me that Zeb has kept his spot this long, to be honest. it's not like we don't have other back row options. he may well be giving him every opportunity to get back to his best.

Well aside from Rd1 I thought Zeb has been pretty good. He's not making line breaks left right and centre like he was in 2010 but he has been making good metres and plenty of tackles.

perverse

Referee
Tets hasn't trained or played as a prop this year.
We have Costigan, House, Eddy or Tets who could step up to play prop, but we are down to two guys who have been playing prop if Cuthbo can't play.
i think he'll do a better job of carting the ball up the guts than any of the other blokes mentioned in your post. that's where i would use him at present, given our abundance of second rowers.

and yeah, it's entirely possible, RABK. i don't see much point in taking pressure off one "rookie" by naming another, but i wouldn't discount it as possible at this stage.

perverse

Referee
Well aside from Rd1 I thought Zeb has been pretty good. He's not making line breaks left right and centre like he was in 2010 but he has been making good metres and plenty of tackles.
yeah, i would say that he has improved with each match so far. he hasn't properly found his rhythm on either side of the ball yet. the main thing i think that counts against him is he is anything but a "bang it up" type forward - and that's the sort of thing we need at the moment. Zeb is all about finesse, hitting gaps hard at really excellent angles moreso than hitting defensive lines hard... and of course his defensive workload has always been admirable.

look, i'm Zebs #1 fan... and i've tried to keep quiet about him this year to see how he goes. i have a suspicion that Bennett will look to get rid of him, and i think that's a damn shame if he's a chance of playing like the '09/'10 model. i'm just trying to get a read on what Bennett wants from him at the moment, and whether he is actually viable into the future.

RABK

Referee
Why because that worked so well last week?

Id be pissed if that happened, and I don't think Bennett is stupid enough to play Hilder at 5/8th again.

I'd be pissed too mate. Cuthbo starting is going well? Yet he persists with him. I just think it's a real possiblity. Similar situation to last week.

Latest posts